This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moderation

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
In this forum, the only moderation we do is for grammar and spelling. The reason we do this is not only because we don't want to become dens of trash like the Penny Arcade or GameFAQs forums. It is because we think that if people take the time to check their posts for grammar and spelling, that they will only post something they have thought about more than once. It reduces quick reactionary pointless posts, and encourages longer well thought out posts.

Well, this works to some extent, but it's not perfect. People still make useless posts like just quoting and writing QFT! People also frequently post questions that can be answered by a quick Google search. And people also post without carefully reading all that has come before.

I know as well as anyone that when a thread gets long, it becomes very difficult to read all of it and catch up. Yet, you might have something to say pertaining to the discussion, or it's current tangent. Doing so, however, can often lead to looking stupid. You will often end up writing a post that might be high quality but entirely redundant. You did a good job, but it was a waste of time. Reinventing the wheel is a waste of time, except as a learning exercise.

Every moderation system that exists is based on writing. It judges the content of what someone has written as good or bad. My idea is to make a system that is based on reading as well. It will punish people who post without reading and fully comprehending prior posts. It will punish for asking questions about what has been answered, or can be answered by Google. It will reward for adding to a discussion instead of just extending and retreading it.

How this will work? Who knows. Specifics always come after ideas. But I think the root idea of somehow moderating based on reading has merit. If implemented properly I think it can go a long way towards creating a forum that contains fewer reactionary and inflammatory posts, and more deep, useful, and thoughtful discussion.

Comments

• Not sure if anyone has created this for Vanilla yet but there a lot of the more popular forum scripts like phpBB and vBulletin have a thousand and one Karma mods that you can add, allowing the forum to essentially moderate itself. If someone posts something without thinking or without reading the thread properly, the other members could negative karma that person for it.

Unfortunately, it's often used when someone gives a differing opinion. So instead of it being used to slap the wrists of people who post incorrectly, it can be used to hurt people who say "Ghey marriage is teh wrong!" or something.

I'm not sure if moderating these sorts of posts is entirely necessary to begin with, as this is already one of the better forums I've come across. The whole thing with grammar and spelling has become a self-enforced standard here, more so than an authoritatively enforced one (although still occasionally enforced). Penalizing people for not reading threads/previous posts or asking simplistic questions can become this also, with regular members linking people to Google or pointing out their post is redundant etc.

My knee-jerk reaction to this is "...I don't know ", but I know you have a high standard for this forum. I just don't think you need to worry about it becoming the same as Penny Arcades forum any time soon.
  • My fear with a system like that is that people would take the whole "rape-kit" thing too far. A member should not be discredited when presenting a valid opinion on one subject because of a single mistake made in another thread. If it's consistent, then that is different. However, I think if this were to work there would have to be a limit to the amount of reward/punishment you could get per thread/opinion/post/etc.

I agree that it's irritating when people just post and don't seem to be "joining" the discussion so much as stepping in and blurting something that has already been said and is actively being discussed. However, I'm pretty sure that doing that once in awhile does not mean that the person is illiterate or should be banned. So the question is how would be implement moderation that is appropriately...uh...moderate?
  • edited November 2008
    I have to say that some of the ideas you put forth are taking the issue too far. Part of the enjoyment of a thread is the humor and silliness. While I enjoy serious discussion, I also enjoy frivolity. I think you may take the fun out of the forum with this, which would really be too bad. Also, the QFT posts are not always without merit. They often show that more than one person is aware of a point, certain data, etc. and add a bit of validity to a previous comment.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Isn't the forum good enough already? All intelligent discussion, all the time doesn't seem to be what a geek forum should be about. Who else thinks we just need to stop it falling below what it currently is and leave it at that?
  • Also, the QFT posts are not always without merit. They often show that more than one person is aware of a point, certain data, etc. and add a bit of validity to a previous comment.
    Exactly. Indicating agreement is not a useless thing.
  • Well, I believe that he meant that on serious threads, not in "Things of your day" or other random threads.
  • edited November 2008
    It's interesting that "QFT" is useless, but Jen was not useless. Also, why does it matter if someone asks a question that can be answered by Google if someone else here doesn't mind answering?

The system proposed would make this a much duller board.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • It's interesting that "QFT" is useless, but Jen wasnotuseless. Also, why does it matter if someone asks a question that can be answered by Google if someone else here doesn't mind answering?

The system proposed would make this a much duller board.
    QFT
  • edited November 2008
    There needs to be a statute of limitations on a rule like this. For example the Obama thread is 1200+ posts long, that would take all day to read. By the end you'd be so sick of forum chatter you wouldn't come back for a week.

I look at a rule like this kind of like taking your shoes off at the airport. It's just going to annoy and inconvenience everyone to stop a couple bad people. Since a bomb on a plane is a lot more dangerous than a bad forum post I don't think this is really necessary.

EDIT: As cool as a "statue of limitations" might look, I meant "statute."
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I understand the goal that you wish to accomplish. The problem I foresee is that any sort of rigid enforcement of such a thing is going to be at least a little draconian and somewhat limiting.

People reiterating other people's points serves to create a sense of community, and to further emphasize a certain point. If two people disagree with each other, they have a back-and-forth argument; if ten people all echo the same sentiment, it becomes a different experience. Rather than being a personal disagreement, such a discussion becomes a duel between different ideologies, and such things are always worthwhile to read, at least in my opinion.

While it is sometimes annoying to have someone pop in and repeat something that's already been said, it doesn't necessarily detract from anything. If seeing the same point posted again bothers you, maybe you should just not let it get to you.

Personally, I'd say that the enforcement of the spelling and grammar has done quite a bit to raise the overall quality of posting on this board. You could make it more quality by making it private and only allowing a select group to post, but that's, well, a bit of an elitist circle-jerk setup. The whole point of a forum is to get wide and varied opinions on things; that generally means that, along with thoughtful and intelligent posts, you're going to see some crap. The crap often helps the really good posts stand out that much more.

You could put up a sort of "general guidelines for posting" wherein you let members know that they should, generally, be trying to contribute. The only real way to weed out crap posters would be to observe a member's posting habits and discern their posting habits; then, you can tell them what they're consistently doing wrong and give them an opportunity to correct it.

In summation, I wouldn't put any sort of hard and fast rules on the actual "utility" of posts; rather, have a statement that serves to remind members to actually contribute to a discussion, and have a more subjective sort of moderation for anyone that seems to be consistently posting crap. Enforce the spelling and grammar rules strictly alongside this policy.
  • The system proposed would make this a much duller board.
    4chan is "interesting", too.
  • I don't mind a forum that corrects people for spelling and grammar and that calls people out on fallacious arguments, but punishing offenders of Google questions or redundancy seems like a bit too much. If anything, you should be enforcing the sense of community here if you want to improve the quality of the forum. It really leaves a bad taste when I see that someone here has left some snarky or condescending reply to someone else.

With that said, I certainly could use less of the "QFT" and whatever the latest trendy lingo is, though, as I feel that that falls under the banner of being annoying.
  • edited November 2008
    There needs to be a statue of limitations on a rule like this.
    Snicker.

There are certain threads that call for a degree of levity, and others that require a more academic approach. The trick is finding a moderation tool that knows which is which. It's already possible to assign categories to a thread when starting it; perhaps the author could have a second option to flag the thread as care-free or serious. Then a bot or human moderator could use their discernment inside those parameters.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • There needs to be a statue of limitations on a rule like this.
    Snicker.
    What? ........awwww fuck.
  • edited November 2008
    I wanted to talk about a different issue. I saw this post on the Movies You Should See forum and think it's probably what's bringing the FRCF down the most:
    I signed up for the forum, with a totally unnecessary but heartfelt message explaining why I love Geeknights, and looked forward to getting to know the community and - as mentioned before - getting deeper into this new stuff I was getting turned on to. I posted an intro on the "Identify Yourself" thread, and the FIRST response I got from another member was a sarcastic welcome, with the last word highlighted as a hyperlink. I clicked on it, and was taken to a Wikipedia page on the correct usage of the ellipsis. I guess my dot dot dot way of ending a lot of my posts was against one of the million rules that the forum enforces with regards to punctuation and grammar. Now, I don't care what culture or clique you are part of, that was downright fucking rude. Further investigation of the threads and various members revealed that there aren't so much friends but anally retentive competitors on the site.
    He's a new member, introducing himself on the ''identify yourself thread'' and he gets hosed for the incorrect use of ellipsis. That kind of grammatical error is hardly serious and because of the response he got he says he won't be coming back.

It seems a few people in here are using the strict grammar policy to stroke their own egos by enforcing it. I suggest a new warning banner that reads ''I am on probation until i learn how to interact with others''.
    Post edited by Linton on
  • What about a threaded type of organization. You can pick up anywhere within the thread but only have that discussion filed under a group of related threads. If its on the main subject of the original post you would reply on the top level thread and so on down the chain. Minor discussions within the thread would be kept in its own little part of the overall thread not interfering with the other non-related parts.
  • Wait, there is a rule about ending sentences with .... Shit... I'm in deep trouble now....
  • I will have to agree that some kinds of posts have become annoying and that some of it has been taken too far, but I don't think it is as bad a problem as some of the egregious spelling errors by some of the newer forumites (such as Bonta Kun for example). I don't mean to sound like I am a jerk about it, but it is very distracting.
  • What about a threaded type of organization. You can pick up anywhere within the thread but only have that discussion filed under a group of related threads. If its on the main subject of the original post you would reply on the top level thread and so on down the chain. Minor discussions within the thread would be kept in its own little part of the overall thread not interfering with the other non-related parts.
    Oh no, anything but that.
  • edited November 2008
    Also, the QFT posts are not always without merit. They often show that more than one person is aware of a point, certain data, etc. and add a bit of validity to a previous comment.
    Exactly. Indicating agreement is not a useless thing.
    QFT

Edit: Damn, Scott beat me to it. I hadn't reloaded the page from earlier.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Scott, can you make the link at the top point at frontrowcrew.com again? I'm not used to it taking me back to the discussions page.

I didn't think this merited its own thread, and didn't know where else to put it where it would be seen.
  • edited November 2008
    I wanted to talk about a different issue. I saw this post on the Movies You Should See forum and think it's probably what's bringing the FRCF down the most:
    I signed up for the forum, with a totally unnecessary but heartfelt message explaining why I love Geeknights, and looked forward to getting to know the community and - as mentioned before - getting deeper into this new stuff I was getting turned on to. I posted an intro on the "Identify Yourself" thread, and the FIRST response I got from another member was a sarcastic welcome, with the last word highlighted as a hyperlink. I clicked on it, and was taken to a Wikipedia page on the correct usage of the ellipsis. I guess my dot dot dot way of ending a lot of my posts was against one of the million rules that the forum enforces with regards to punctuation and grammar. Now, I don't care what culture or clique you are part of, that was downright fucking rude. Further investigation of the threads and various members revealed that there aren't so much friends but anally retentive competitors on the site.
    He's a new member, introducing himself on the ''identify yourself thread'' and he gets hosed for the incorrect use of ellipsis. That kind of grammatical error is hardly serious and because of the response he got he says he won't be coming back.

It seems a few people in here are using the strict grammar policy to stroke their own egos by enforcing it. I suggest a new warning banner that reads ''I am on probation until i learn how to interact with others''.
    You have a point there.

The thread he's referring to is here, by the way. While there are a few on this forum who can enjoy being assholes (I guess I am one, though to a lesser extent), it probably should be made clear to newcomers that this kind of behaviour is merely tolerated, rather than the default way to behave around here (even if it is lying to say so =D).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I saw this post on the Movies You Should See forum and think it's probably what's bringing the FRCF down the most:
    The thread he's referring to ishere
    These comments really bother me. As I think it's gotten pretty clear that we don't necessarily want everything Scott is suggesting to change, I would really like to change this.
  • I chatted on the Simply Syndicated boards before this one, but a glance at that thread reminds me why I packed it in. Sure, the arsehole to nice person ratio may be slightly higher, but I find the look and feel of this forum far better. The lack of any widgets and software and flashy features make it really stand out in a world of phpbb and similar. However, the main thing was the spelling and grammar and the standard of posts those rules created. If someone can really put so little thought into a post that it can be summed up by a single smiley, how the hell am I expected to respect anything they say again?

As for moderating reading, it sounds like a good idea but, like others have mentioned, I don't think it is much of a problem. Multiple threads on the same topics don't happen that often (compared to every other forum I've read) and the questions that can be answered by Google moderate themselves. After two new threads with no replies people learn quickly what other people are interested in.
  • I don't necessarily think it's that we have more assholes in this forum, rather that we're all so used to being lightheartedly douchebaggish towards one another that we forget that newcomers may not pick up on it and end up taking it seriously.
  • I don't necessarily think it's that we have more assholes in this forum, rather that we're all so used to being lightheartedly douchebaggish towards one another that we forget that newcomers may not pick up on it and end up taking it seriously.
    True. Maybe what I was getting at was that on this forum I stick about despite the usual arseholes.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2008
    I don't think it is as bad a problem as some of the egregious spelling errors by some of the newer forumites (such as Bonta Kun for example).
    I've found that if I don't come down hard on new forumites immediately, they tend to never improve significantly. And, for the record, very, very few of the people who have started off on a bad foot grammatically here have ever contributed anything worthwhile.

We're harsh only because if we're not, this forum would be useless to us. I'm still toying with the idea of banning three particular people for generally being annoying.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If you guys can, you should just reopen the Forum Rules and Hints thread and update it with some of the issues that have been going on.
  • I'm still toying with the idea of banning three particular people for generally being annoying.
    Who wants to place bets on the identities of these three?
  • We're harsh only because if we're not, this forum would be useless to us. I'm still toying with the idea of banning three particular people for generally being annoying.
    Being annoying is definitely a better reason to ban someone then some of the reasons Scott listed above. If someone is derailing every conversation they participate in, then they should be put on notice. However, yelling at people for posting questions that they can find on Google or bringing up a point made earlier in a thread does not really qualify as annoying. However, if people resort to name calling in a serious thread lets say "Political". They should be warned. I'm looking at the adults here...

I'm still annoyed that we automatically close religion discussion threads. If either of you do not feel like posting a response to the thread just ignore it, people like Pete and I enjoy butting our heads against concrete walls or just have a cut and paste rant about how stupid the person is because of these following points or better yet, have a topic on sticky that says what arguments you don't want to hear.