This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Signs someone is an idiot list

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
I just wanted to start a list of ways to tell someone is an idiot. I'll start off with a couple.

1. The person is a big fan of CSI Miami and they think that whenever something is wrong with their computer, encryption is involved.
2. The person says I seen.
3. The person uses 1 word over and over after they hear it for the first time and have no clue what it means.

Comments

• 4. The person uses a number instead of a word when they type out a sentence.
  • 5. The person fervently denies scientific evidence because it does not quite fit into their belief structure.
    6. The person cannot actually form a coherent sentence in whatever their first language is.
  • 7. The person non-ironically enjoyed the live-action Speed Racer.
  • edited November 2008
    8. The person gets mad at Lays for taking his chips' trans fat away.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • 9. The person became a doctor only because mommy and daddy wanted them to.
  • 9. The person became a doctor anything only because mommy and daddy wanted them to.
  • 9. The person becamea doctoranythingonly because mommy and daddy wanted them to.
    Good point, I only said doctor because that's been the most common based on my observations.
  • 7. The person non-ironically enjoyed the live-action Speed Racer.
    I think it should be broadened to "non-ironically enjoying any terrible media." For example, MD Geist and Scary Movie (though I'm not sure if it's possible to enjoy the latter in any sense).
  • edited November 2008
    Scary Movie (though I'm not sure if it's possible to enjoy the latter in any sense).
    In before this thread becomes mostly flame bait.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • 10. The person repeatedly confuses the words there, their, and they're.
  • 10. The person repeatedly confuses the words there, their, and they're.
    11. Or their "your" and "you're". Especially in a newspaper.
  • 12. He or she uses apostrophes in plural words (ex. "There were many cat's").
  • edited November 2008
    13. The person asks if you experienced X (seen this movie, heard that album, played that game etc.). You answer that you did. The person says "Wasn't it great?" and practically ends the discussion with it.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • 14. Someone uses "ex." when they mean "E.g." while calling someone else an idiot for incorrect use of English.

Or something.
  • Here's a few relating to trolls.

15. The person labels anyone who disagrees with him a troll.
    16. The person confuses trolls with orcs. That's a big no-no.
    17. The person still thinks rickrolling someone qualifies as trolling.
    18. The person thinks one-trick trolls are funny.
  • 14. Someone uses "ex." when they mean "E.g." while calling someone else an idiot for incorrect use of English.

Or something.
    I fully meant to use "ex.", abbreviating the English word rather than the Latin phrase. Seeing as we are speaking English, and in an especially colloquial way (considering this is the Internet), using English is rather appropriate, would you not agree?
  • 12. He or she uses apostrophes in plural words (ex. "There were many cat's").
    12. The person asks if you experienced X (seen this movie, heard that album, played that game etc.). You answer that you did. The person says "Wasn't it great?" and practically ends the discussion with it.
    14. Someone uses "ex." when they mean "E.g." while calling someone else an idiot for incorrect use of English.
    19. The person doesn't know how to count.
  • 4. The person uses a number instead of a word when they type out a sentence.
    What? That's a style issue! I agree with you on numbers under 10, but above that you should just do whichever way you prefer and stick to that.

To finish off the misspelling nonsense, 20. The person confuses "it's" and "its".
  • edited November 2008
    4. The person uses a number instead of a word when they type out a sentence.
    What? That's a style issue! I agree with you on numbers under 10, but above that you should just do whichever way you prefer and stick to that.

To finish off the misspelling nonsense, 20. The person confuses "it's" and "its".
    I think he meant it like "2 be or not 2 be" or "4 great justice!"
    to extend that:

21: people who use single letters or short words (in sentences) when there is no significant gain.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • 22: The person in question thinks that Ethan Frome is a valuable piece of literature and is applicable to modern-day life.
  • 23: Makes obvious grammar mistakes in the title of a thread about idiots.
    Seriously, what kind of person is an idiot list?
  • 24. Making a stupid list.
  • I really don't think some deficiencies in grammar or spelling are enough to qualify someone as an idiot.
  • edited November 2008
    No, but when they do so in a thread specifically about idiots and do so so spectacularly.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • 22: The person in question thinks thatEthan Fromeis a valuable piece of literature and is applicable to modern-day life.
    This makes me so sad. I'm going to have to close my office door to cry now.
  • 22: The person in question thinks thatEthan Fromeis a valuable piece of literature and is applicable to modern-day life.
    This makes me so sad. I'm going to have to close my office door to cry now.
    Your tears are delicious. Give me more!

As for spelling and grammar mistakes, it wholly depends on the flagrancy of the error. Using an apostrophe to pluralize a word should be punishable by death; improper usage of a semicolon should only be 20 years in prison, at a maximum. There has to be some sort of grade to this thing.
    edited November 2008
    As for spelling and grammar mistakes, it wholly depends on the flagrancy of the error. Using an apostrophe to pluralize a word should be punishable by death; improper usage of a semicolon should only be 20 years in prison, at a maximum. There has to be some sort of grade to this thing.
    What would the punishment be for the following sentence: "its there fawlt; 4evar!!1!"
    I think he meant it like "2 be or not 2 be" or "4 great justice!"
    That makes some more sense yes. Sorry Andrew if you meant that.
    Post edited by ... on
  • 23: Makes obvious grammar mistakes in the title of a thread about idiots.
    Seriously, what kind of person is an idiot list?
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It was a typo.
  • 25. Unwraps a pop tart, eats the wrapper.
  • 25. Unwraps a pop tart, eats the wrapper.
    It's a texture issue. :(