This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Thinking About Going Offline From Dec. 1 to Jan. 1

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
I just read this article on Cracked and I see a lot of parallels in my own life. I have a lot of people whom I call friends, but a good 90% of them are online and despite how many I have, I still walk around each day with this feeling of loneliness. And there's this feeling of disconnection; like the real me is in my computer, on the 'net, and my body is just my mouse for the real world. I love the world (boom de yada and all that), but I feel that I have very little connection to it beyond needing it to keep on existing.

And then there's social life. Every time I hear someone talking about how they went to an "awesome party last weekend and how it was totally kickass", I realize they are probably exaggerating a bit, but I can't help but think "Why don't I have stories like that?" My "exciting" weekends are sniping a banshee on Halo PC multiplayer with one shot or at most exploring the campus at night. I stopped going to anime club because doing my homework takes me forever, despite that only a couple of my subjects give me homework. Now I don't even interact with one of the few types of people I can sit down and have a lengthy conversation with. I used to talk with people at my job, but since I've moved here, I haven't gotten a new one nor can I due to my class schedule and studying. I'm gonna be making a better schedule for next semester, but I think the problem goes deeper than that.

Any where I go, I'm connected to the internet. If I'm not in front of a computer, my new phone has a constant 3G connection and can hop on WiFi if need be. No matter where I am, the internet is there with me, which can be a powerful tool, but it's dulled my real-time social skills. On a forum, I can respond at my leisure, taking time to write a post if I want to. But in the real world, I'm horrible at conversations, especially small talk. The only time I'm comfortable is during a conversation that have a certain amount of skill in, like computers or something.

I don't do anything useful online, not really. And in light of that and the sudden moment of self reflection that article gave me, I'm thinking of either going offline completely (or at the very least removing myself from forums, IM, and other messaging systems) for about a month. It would either be from December to January, or from January to February. I chose a month because they say it takes a month to make or break a habit.

It's hard posting this here, not because I don't trust you guys, but because nothing can ever be truly deleted off the internet. But I feel like I need some help with this one. It's bothering me and I don't have enough experience to know what to do. What do you guys think? Has anyone else here felt like this? Is this just part of moving to someplace new, part of starting college, or should I see a shrink?

Comments

• It is, as you say, part of moving someplace new and starting college. I know it sounds trite, but you will make friends in time. Going to those parties helps. Drink heavily at the parties. That helps too. Take up smoking so you'll look cool. I suggest Lucky Strikes. They're the coolest, unless you can find unfiltered Chesterfields.

Don't blame the Internet, but if you're determined to try your plan, December to January would be a good time to avoid the Internet. You won't miss anything.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, that article was not what I expected from Cracked...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Walk around campus for a bit... you'll see a bunch of flyers for this or that all around. Pick a few that you are interested in, and go to the events described. Sit down next to a stranger and strike up a conversation. Sit in new places in class, and talk to the people around you. In no time flat, you'll have more friends, a better social life, etc. Beware, though, as you may have to sacrifice some alone time to do it (scary, I know). Beyond just swearing off the Internet for a month, you could unplug your computer and swear off of that for a month (use public computers for work). It's hard, but having done it myself a couple times, I can say that you'll become much less tethered to it.

The sole fact that you're concerned is a good first step. Now, just go out there and do something about it, and you'll be fine in no time.
  • edited November 2008
    My social skills are actually pretty well-honed for someone who might as well have an Ethernet port in his brain stem, so for the second year in a row this year, I will be severing myself from all online communication and games (I call it the "Annual Internet Sabbatical") as well as text messages over my Winter Break. It helps to maintain a goodly amount of spoken dialog. Interesting things occurred last year, so we'll see what happens this year.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Good idea, sonic. Make sure you post updates every few days to let us know how it's going!
  • Yeah, what Joe said. Except for the sarcastic bit. But I think this has a lot more to do with your personality than anything else.

I used to be the same way. I pretty much just walked around on my own, even though I had friends. And even though I spent breaks with these friends I never really spent much time with them outside of school. Eventually I just learned to always ask what everyone was doing on the weekends and now I hardly ever spend a Friday or Saturday night at home. Your situation might be different, but I'm similarly hooked into the internet all the time and learned to be social. Start asking what that other 10% of friends are doing this weekend and tag along.
  • Good idea, sonic. Make sure you post updates every few days to let us know how it's going!
    Umm... post updates..?
    Umm... post updates..?
    I believe your humor sensors may have missed something.
    Umm... post updates..?
    Don't bother trying to save Starfox, he's too far gone.
  • It is, as you say, part of moving someplace new and starting college. I know it sounds trite, but you will make friends in time. Going to those parties helps. Drink heavily at the parties. That helps too. Take up smoking so you'll look cool. I suggest Lucky Strikes. They're the coolest, unless you can find unfiltered Chesterfields.
    I am hoping that my own humor senses missed some humor of HungryJoe's post. ._. Drinking heavily/smoking not always the best idea.

And.. I think that would be a good idea for myself. ._. How often has my computer basically screwed me over because I decided to play on DRP instead of doing homework..? Either way, I wish you so much luck, my dear Sonic. : 3
    As if you guys could get in.
  • Go nuts Sonic. You go to school to give you the opportunity to try out different ways of life.
  • Maybe you can get Rym and Scott to block your access to the forum. I know they did that for Emily at one point to help her concentrate on work/school/life (can't remember which one) so maybe they could do the same for you. However, this only works if this forum is the only one you read and post on regularly.

I use a chat room every day to talk with friends, friends I made "in real life" over the course of the last 10 years. I also use email and skype to chat with other friends, but again all of those I've met in real life too. This forum is the only place on the internet where I am part of a community where I don't know everyone in real life.

When starting the NaNoWriMo challenge I decided I needed more time so I took the FRC forums out of my home pages, and bookmarked the NaNoWriMo to keep track. It turned out that what was really taking up my online time wasn't this forum, which is actually quite easy to ignore for a day and still catch up with interesting threads, but leaving Google Reader open and being drip fed pointless videos and useless news stories.

So maybe all you need to do is find that one thing to cut back on. In your case you can connect to the internet at any time to check forums, so that shouldn't be getting in the way of an evening social life. Instead of cutting out on all internet, why put your modem on a timer? Every evening it turns off and you are disconnected until after midnight. No gaming, no mindless surfing, no checking IM because it is just so easy. If you REALLY need something important you can use your phone. And then just get out there and join clubs/societies/bands/etc. That is the reason they exist, to help people like you make friends. Those with better friend making skills will form groups anyway... but sometimes geeks on the edge of being nerds need a push in the right direction.

At university I was in a small group of friends who formed very quickly. Unfortunately, out of the six of use, four decided they'd made a mistake in coming to university and dropped out within two months. And us two who were left never were never really close, so we quickly drifted apart. This left me in a similar position... time to make new friends, but everyone else was already part of an semi-established "crew" and me trying to join in later felt really weird. But sticking with it and making time and going out and getting drunk and playing music and making films with people meant it only took a few months before I had more friends than before. But I had to make the time. At the same time I still chatted online, and even met up with quite a few "internet friends", though most of those meetings were mainly for sexual encounters (or attempted sexual encounters).

You just have to take time. And, to be honest, if you don't have a full time job along with your studies there is no reason except bad planning for you not to have time.
  • Wow, that was a good article. Thanks for linking.

Anyway, sounds like a plan. You should go out and try new things and meet new people. You're in a new climate and an awesome city. A vacation from the internet will do you good. You will build new memories and learn some things. It might be hard to just jump in, but anime club is a good start. Getting a bite at lunch with someone is a good start. Study groups are a good start. ^_^
  • I've always felt that written communication and friends that you have shared experiences with in the physical world are two different kinds of thing. It's nice to have both and unhealthy to exclude one, especially the life experience. If you only get the intellectual stimulation of instant pen pals, but you can't, say, have shared memories of that time you both went to the boardwalk, and Tommy got sick, remember, but it was so pretty when that thunderstorm came and brought the smell of the sea with it. That's why I never really believe that online girl/boy friends could be as fulfilling as real world ones: You can't have shared sensory experiences, even though you write to each other.

I think it is a good plan, Sonic. Maybe I will try to do it too, only go on the internet when I need to do something business related. It was kinda nice when my laptop was getting fixed. I got a lot done.

Everything in Moderation.
    I am hoping that my own humor senses missed some humor of HungryJoe's post. ._. Drinking heavily/smoking not always the best idea.
    It wasn't an attempt at humor. Drinking and smoking are great ideas.

Sonic, your college experience won't be complete until the day you wake up half naked and face down in a puddle of someone else's sick on the cold, gritty floor of a county jail at least fifty miles from where you live covered in bruises, scratches, and lacerations that you can't explain. At that point, when you pull out your Zippo, light a Lucky, and suck down that sweet, sweet smoke, you'll know what I mean.
    edited November 2008
    SAD NINE! I already see you so rarely Sonic!
    Ever since you moved to that west-coast-ma-bob-thing-place.
    It makes me feel so empty and sick,
    I-BARGLE-BARGLE-BARGLE, I broke the streak for you man.
    How can you be so heartless man? Leaving me alone in this race.
    Alone... with Viga!
    [/Nine dealing with the announced temporary leave of an internet friend]

You'd better be more awesome when you return to these forums, or else.

EDIT: Wait, crap, that means I'll have to prepare something for when you come back not more awesome. :| Need to brainstorm, can I have a napkin please?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited November 2008
    I don't think there's a reason to cut yourself off from computers/Internet entirely. If you have enough will power to do that, you should have enough will power to simply reduce and change your usage. I used to reload Google reader every few minutes and have a zillion subscriptions in it, many of them redundant. I use to subscribe to more podcasts than I could listen to.

Now there are no pages that I reload throughout the day. The only tabs I keep open are Gmail and Remember the Milk. I read web-comics once each morning, which usually means I read many the day after they come out. I only go looking around video sites when I'm in the living room. I subscribe to very few podcasts, and only listen to them while I'm doing something else, or when I can't do anything else.

It's really a weird thing, when I think about it. There was a time when I had a twitter window open all the time. I'd be tweeting and responding to tweets throughout the day. I did enjoy it, and I did get something out of it. One day I just stopped opening that window. I don't miss it, and I don't even remember or have an urge to go back there. If I don't miss it, then it obviously wasn't that important. A lot of the problems are that you develop habits, and you start to do things without thinking. Just stop doing things out of habit, and only do things intentionally.

My next step is to stop reading every forum thread, and only read ones I care about. Starting now. Once I do that, the next step will be to only read the forum once a day when I get home.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • My next step is to stop reading every forum thread, and only read ones I care about.
    You ass. That will just double my moderation workload... I don't read every thread because I want to. ^_~
  • The key is to hook up with your online friends in real life. Go to local meetups and make efforts to get to know people and hang out beyond just the meetups. Stay in hotel rooms with people you only know over the internet and stay up all night talking. I hear it does wonders for your good friends count. ^_~

(For real, be safe. Don't do anything stupid.)
  • You ass. That will just double my moderation workload... I don't read every thread because Iwantto. ^_~
    So get more moderators.
  • Sonic,

The article you cited and what you said about your life is very interesting. If that's how you feel, it might be best to unplug for a little while and do some soul searching. Online friends are nice, but I still cherish my real-life friends more than anyone I've never met in person.
  • edited November 2008
    Nineless's post.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but that was nigh incomprehensible.
    It might be hard to just jump in, but anime club is a good start. Getting a bite at lunch with someone is a good start.
    Viga, you don't understand. I AVOID the anime club. The president is really creepy, and not like genshiken creepy, but like "OMG Is that a Giiiiiirl you're with? She's a pretty hot piece of jailbait, eh Vic? Chicka Boom Boom, chick boom boom! AmIrite? Eh? Eh?" That was his reaction when he saw me talking to a girl at Mikomicon. It was said non-ironicaly...With the girl right there. I might go back next year provided he isn't still president.
    I've always felt that written communication and friends that you have shared experiences with in the physical world are two different kinds of thing. It's nice to have both and unhealthy to exclude one, especially the life experience. If you only get the intellectual stimulation of instant pen pals, but you can't, say, have shared memories of that time you both went to the boardwalk, and Tommy got sick, remember, but it was so pretty when that thunderstorm came and brought the smell of the sea with it. That's why I never really believe that online girl/boy friends could be as fulfilling as real world ones: You can't have shared sensory experiences, even though you write to each other.
    Yeah, I agree. It's really not the same.
    Sonic,
    The article you cited and what you said about your life is very interesting. If that's how you feel, it might be best to unplug for a little while and do some soul searching. Online friends are nice, but I still cherish my real-life friends more than anyone I've never met in person.
    I don't really feel the same way as you, getavids. I more cases than not, I've known my online friends longer than my offline friends and have shared more experiences with them. I'm a member of another forum where our original board was shut down. We eventually found ourselves back together and after two years, the original forum was brought back online. We went back there and I looked at my joining date; I've been a member there for four years! I'll be meeting one of them offline soon, actually!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Viga, you don't understand. I AVOID the anime club. The president is really creepy, and not like genshiken creepy, but like "OMG Is that a Giiiiiirl you're with? She's a pretty hot piece of jailbait, eh Vic? Chicka Boom Boom, chick boom boom! AmIrite? Eh? Eh?" That was his reaction when he saw me talking to a girl at Mikomicon. It was said non-ironicaly...With the girl right there. I might go back next year provided he isn't still president.
    That's not being creepy, that's being an asshole. You were epically cockblocked.
  • Viga, you don't understand. I AVOID the anime club. The president is really creepy, and not like genshiken creepy, but like "OMG Is that a Giiiiiirl you're with? She's a pretty hot piece of jailbait, eh Vic? Chicka Boom Boom, chick boom boom! AmIrite? Eh? Eh?" That was his reaction when he saw me talking to a girl at Mikomicon. It was said non-ironicaly...With the girl right there. I might go back next year provided he isn't still president.
    This is where you should take that opportunity and do what Rym & Scott did. Join the club, make friends with the cool people, have some sort of uprising and take over as President of the Anime club.

Just a thought.
  • I don't really feel the same way as you, getavids. I more cases than not, I've known my online friends longer than my offline friends and have shared more experiences with them. I'm a member of another forum where our original board was shut down. We eventually found ourselves back together and after two years, the original forum was brought back online. We went back there and I looked at my joining date; I've been a member there for four years! I'll be meeting one of them offline soon, actually!
    Hey, it's your life. If these people are more important to you than people you see in person, why are you thinking of disconnecting from the internet for a month? Maybe your online persona is more the real you than you give it credit.
  • That's not being creepy, that's being an asshole. You were epically cockblocked.
    I didn't have any interest in her that way; she must have been 15, tops! Her friend had invited her to come so she could get more into anime. They got separated and I was just giving her directions to the event they were supposed to meet at! The dude is just a 23 year old creepy pedo.
    Hey, it's your life. If these people are more important to you than people you see in person, why are you thinking of disconnecting from the internet for a month? Maybe your online persona is more the real you than you give it credit.
    And there's this feeling of disconnection; like the real me is in my computer, on the 'net, and my body is just my mouse for the real world.
    I consider my online persona to be my real persona. It's like Rorschach, The real him is when he has his mask on. The reason I'm doing this is because I'd like to port the social abilities of my online persona to my offline persona.
  • It might be hard to just jump in, but anime club is a good start. Getting a bite at lunch with someone is a good start.
    Viga, you don't understand. I AVOID the anime club. The president is really creepy, and not like genshiken creepy, but like "OMG Is that a Giiiiiirl you're with? She's a pretty hot piece of jailbait, eh Vic? Chicka Boom Boom, chick boom boom! AmIrite? Eh? Eh?" That was his reaction when he saw me talking to a girl at Mikomicon. It was said non-ironicaly...With the girl right there. I might go back next year provided he isn't still president.
    Sorry, I thought you were avoiding in an anti social manner and not in an oh my god everyone in this place are creepy manner.
  • Yup, pretty much. I did bump into one guy randomly who didn't go to the anime club because he heard Will was the president, but I didn't think to get his email address. *Stupid Stupid Stupid*
  • edited November 2008
    I consider my online persona to be my real persona. It's like Rorschach, The real him is when he has his mask on. The reason I'm doing this is because I'd like to port the social abilities of my online persona to my offline persona.
    Well you don't need to get off the net to do that, just talk to people. It's not as hard as it seems.
    Post edited by George Patches on