This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Safer to shop online...

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Scary. I never go out on Black Friday. I hate the crazy consumer frenzy.
  • I just made a crack yesterday about how I don't get into the holiday spirit until a Wal-Mart employee is trampeled to death.

I guess I'm good to start decorating now.
  • I'm reading that article, and all I can think of are "uncivilised beasts, please go trade your spot in society with a child in Africa." Can you please start leashing and potty training your runts America?
  • edited November 2008
    I didn't leave the house until I took everyone out to dinner around 5:30. I did some online shopping earlier. I hate crowds, lines and waiting.

It is sad that those Wal-Mart patrons decided to act like European soccer hooligans.
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • Consumerism is one thing, but someone died during the act of shopping. This shit is messed up.
  • JenJen
    edited November 2008
    Figures. They were all black – no surprises here. Photos
    Post edited by Jen on
  • I had my own door buster today, at the Vets office with my sick cat. Much more serious than some stupid deals.
  • edited November 2008
    Figures. They were all black – no surprises here.Photos
    Interesting but flawed theory. The problem was that they were all, in fact, right handed.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Fuck you, Leftie! Our Superior numbers will crush your left-ist ways by slowly breeding your race out of the gene pool! MUAHAHAHA!!!!
  • edited November 2008
    *Owns Sonic due to left handedness* I was about to make a wise and roundabout joke but, never mind.
    My new catch phrase will be: "I'm left handed, I know about this kind of thing.."

ANFSCD (and now for something completely different): did anyone go to one of these?

@Thaed I would not have expected such an offhand comment from someone so learned.
  • At any rate, I finished my Christmas shopping a while ago. The packages from Amazon are slowly arriving.
  • "I'm left handed, I know about this kind of thing.."
    Goddamned polar bears.

• @Thaed I would not have expected such an offhand comment from someone so learned.
    It was actually a deliberate response to Nineless. Americans do not have a monopoly on stupidity. But you're right. I stooped and now we have a thread with overt racist trolling.
  • European soccer hooligans.
    European football hooligans. At least there are worse hooligans in other European counties than mine. :)

It is true however that Americans don't have the monopoly on stupidity. However, America is the biggest English speaking country in the world, which is the part I visit on the internet. This means a bigger number of stupid people are Americans and can make the headlines of news. When you have the same population as a whole country living in one city, crazy things tend to happen.

Also, darn you leftie! *smacks Omnutia*
  • edited November 2008
    *Agent-Smiths Nineless turning him into a left to right mirror image of his former self*

*Left hand to left hand handshake*

Edit: Random thought experiment: What would happen if in teleportation someone had their image flipped from left to right, would they think the world had been flipped or just them?
  • *wiggles fingers threateningly* I know ambidexterity.
  • Ahh! an Ambidextrocity!!
    That sounds like an atrocity committed by an ambidextrous person...

"Churba was discharged and incarcerated when he tortured the prisoner with his left hand and his right hand, at the same time."
    That sounds like an atrocity committed by an ambidextrous person...
    That was the joke, thanks for playing. (Even though I thought it was short for ambidextrous monstrosity).

Anyways, another reason why I don't shop on peak days. My experience when I bought my Wii on Launch day was enough, even though it was miniscule compared to the crowd in the pictures.
  • Wow, just wow.

"I'm so glad I saved 200 dollars on this TV. It was definitely worth blatantly disregarding peoples safety."
  • I went shopping on Black Friday last year with my mother. It wasn't bad at all. I was a bit strapped for cash, but I wanted to get some nice gifts (particularly for my in-laws that have pricier tastes). I looked through all the ads, picked out exactly what I would get, chose a path through the mall and was in and out with all my holiday shopping complete after only 90 minutes. I grew up poor (and am not rich), so I don't mind making a nickle squeal. Also, the mall wasn't any worse than it would have been on a Saturday afternoon (even though it 6:00 a.m. on a Friday morning).
  • I didn't leave the house until 11 or so, but I ended up getting a really awesome deal at a Hastings. Used Farewell, Yamato and Patlabor movie for $1 each. I'll have to wait to watch them, but I feel great for the deal.
    I checked to make sure they weren't bootlegs, and was happy to see they weren't
  • We go to a Best Buy in Baltimore every year and it is never crowded and we can get all of the sales that we went there for.
  • Fuck you, Leftie! Our Superior numbers will crush your left-ist ways by slowly breeding your race out of the gene pool! MUAHAHAHA!!!!
    *Owns Sonic due to left handedness*
    Bite my glorious ambidextrous ass!
  • Dude in LIC (my neighborhood) is complaining that there are all these new highrises, but no local stores.

He's completely wrong. I buy everything from Amazon, but I order food through Grubhub, not Seamless. Jeez!
  • With the exception of food 95% of my shopping is Amazon. Unless the price is better locally it is just easier to buy online and have it delivered. Peapod is my only good option for food delivery and going to the store allows me to take advantage of those wacky buy one get three free sales.
  • My goal is to one day supplant all the brick and mortar stores with online grocery delivery in the Midwest.
  • I've tried doing grocery shopping on Amazon and it was fucking shit. I guess I didn't use Fresh, but I tried Prime Pantry and they have a lousy selection, half the stuff was not in stock, and to top it off when I actually got it some swiffer wipes I ordered popped open and all the liquid fucked up the boxed rices and mac and cheese.
  • Fresh Direct has more selection than almost any grocery store I've ever been to. The packaging is fine. The produce is as good as or better than local stores. The prices are lower than local grocery stores.