This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Safer to shop online...

2»

Comments

• Have you tried produce? I heard from someone on Reddit (through the most bizzare connection, but I digress) that you don't want to order things like apples because they usually suck. But other stuff was good.
  • I get basically ALL of my groceries through Fresh Direct. Fruits, vegetables, beer/wine, cheese, meat: everything.
  • Holy Crap Fresh Direct actually delivers to my house lol... (apparently they are Philly and NYC Metro)

Still I enjoy food shopping physically as long as I am not stupid and go during peak hours.
  • edited February 2015
    Cremlian said:

Holy Crap Fresh Direct actually delivers to my house lol... (apparently they are Philly and NYC Metro)

Still I enjoy food shopping physically as long as I am not stupid and go during peak hours.

Do it once and see if you change your mind. Don't forget to order "the goods."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Huh... I will do my next round of grocery shopping there and see how it goes. The primary limiting factor is whether they can hit a good delivery window when I'm at home.
  • Pretty much the only physical thing I buy anymore is used records, which Amazon is not very good with. I get a lot through Discogs, but some records are only a dollar or so, so I check local stores before paying the $4 shipping. In general, I like physical shopping because you can find things you would never think to look for. I got Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts at an anime-ish store on Maui. I'd never have looked for what I bought, nor would I have naturally stumbled across them online.
  • Might actually be useful for me, because while I do buy in bulk at costco, there is always little things I need. Fresh direct might help when I can't get to Wegman's (which is a bit away)
  • pence said:

Huh... I will do my next round of grocery shopping there and see how it goes. The primary limiting factor is whether they can hit a good delivery window when I'm at home.

You get a guaranteed 2 hour window that you choose ahead of time for each order. You can also give specific instructions for what to do if you're not home.

They've been late (outside of the window) three times in the five years we've used them. Total

Each time, they called hours in advance, told us what was up, and asked what we wanted them to do (e.g., delay the delivery until a specific time later).

Granted, it helps that we have a doorman and a dedicated walk-in fridge just for grocery deliveries...
  • Blue Apron we also use. They deliver a single box each week with all the ingredients for three meals/recipes. Unlike FD, those boxes are packed with coldpacks and insulation.
  • Greg, is Nuggets still open at Kenmore Square?
  • It is, but I had forgotten about it until right now. I went in once on my way home from school, but I've pretty much only gone to In Your Ear since then, since it's closer and I know the people who work there pretty well at this point.
  • Nuggets was one of my stops in the mid 80's for used records. I can't remember the other stores though there were a few in the area.
  • Hey Chris, if you are looking at Fresh direct compared to Peapod, Peapod generally has a dozen more options than Fresh Direct and is generally 2 to 3 dollars cheaper
  • Cremlian said:

Hey Chris, if you are looking at Fresh direct compared to Peapod, Peapod generally has a dozen more options than Fresh Direct and is generally 2 to 3 dollars cheaper

I don't think you guys have the same FD options we do.

• AmpAmp
    edited February 2015
    It was only reading this thread that I realised my family and I haven't been to a super market to shop in the best part of two years. I suspect my location has something to do with it but for the most part even the local comic/geek shop doesn't have half of what I want or need. I think the only stuff I buy from a brick and mortar shop is clothes and thats because its a pain to find anything that fits. In that vain does anyone know a good place to get shoes online?
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Amp said:

In that vain does anyone know a good place to get shoes online?

Zappos.

• Rym said:

Cremlian said:

Hey Chris, if you are looking at Fresh direct compared to Peapod, Peapod generally has a dozen more options than Fresh Direct and is generally 2 to 3 dollars cheaper

I don't think you guys have the same FD options we do.

“We have suburban supermarket prices in the city.”
    Freshdirect vs Peapod

• Even though my one try with grocery shopping was messed up because they cancelled one item on my order with not enough time to respond. The rest of the experience was great, all the fresh produce was exactly that and none of the fruit was bruised. The main thing was being able to find exactly everything I needed in seconds on the website versus going up and down 10 different aisles to find that there is a random cheese section that has the cheese I was looking for rather than stocking it with the other cheeses in the deli area.
    Amp said:

I buy from Amazon (and I do so knowing that an incorrect size is not something I can return from Australia without monetary cost i.e. confidently).
    The prices are incredibly relative to the equivalent in stores here plus they have all the different colours and designs in all the different sizes.
    I haven't bought clothes at a brick and mortar (except for PAX Aus and at a custom made tailor) in the last 6 or 7 years.
    If you know your size in a few brands it may make you a bit more confident.
  • Rym said:

Amp said:

Zappos.

Vein, not vain.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Amp said:

Zappos.

Vein, not vain.
    Depends if you are looking to find some non oxygenated blood or want to show how much of a baller you are in your latest outfit.
  • If only Costco and Trader Joes delivered online. I know some business use Costco for home deliveries, but it's not that big of deal.

However, I don't mind going out for groceries. It's all within 10 minutes of my apartment. The only aggravating thing is the traffic during rush hours, which is easily bypassed by going early Sundays.
  • Rochelle said:

If only Costco and Trader Joes delivered online. I know some business use Costco for home deliveries, but it's not that big of deal.

However, I don't mind going out for groceries. It's all within 10 minutes of my apartment. The only aggravating thing is the traffic during rush hours, which is easily bypassed by going early Sundays.

If Trader Joe's delivered, oh mans! The only reason I don't go there is because it's in an inconvenient location and has long lines at the checkout.
  • We prefer to shop in our garden and our farmshare.

BJ's suffices for non-farmshare items. Occasionally there's a specialty item that I need to get elsewhere, or I need to hit up the butcher to buy a primal. I make everything else.

And I buy beer at our massive beverage centers, whose selections make Fresh Direct look like a bodega.

But if I lived in LIC, I'd totally be using an online grocery service.
  • But if I lived in LIC, I'd totally be using an online grocery service.

Yeah, the area near Rym kinda sucks balls. Convenient to get elsewhere though and the view is nice.
  • But if I lived in LIC, I'd totally be using an online grocery service.

Yeah, the area near Rym kinda sucks balls. Convenient to get elsewhere though and the view is nice.
    It's actually not less convenient that most other neighborhoods. We have one of the best restaurant districts in the city.

• "Sucks balls" is relative, it is still NYC. ~_^