This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

O.O Emily's DOPPLEGANGER!! (Not her audio thing)

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Okay, this is totally freaky. I was in Glendale yesterday visiting relatives and I had to make a quick run to get some milk for my brother. I was in the dairy section in Albertsons when this cute girl bumped into me. She was wearing a grey hoodie and had brownish black hair. I helped her pick up the things that fell out of her basket and I introduced myself.
"Anyway, My name is Vic. What's yours."
"Oh, My name is Emily Compton."
I subsequently dropped my gallon of milk and before I could react she was off.

WTF? O.O

Comments

• People can have the same name?! Shocking!
  • I'd be really something if she looked the same. Really though, it's not all that uncommon to see people with the same name.
  • Okay, this is totally freaky. I was in Glendale yesterday visiting relatives and I had to make a quick run to get some milk for my brother. I was in the dairy section in Albertsons when this cute girl bumped into me. She was wearing a grey hoodie and had brownish black hair. I helped her pick up the things that fell out of her basket and I introduced myself.
    "Anyway, My name is Vic. What's yours."
    "Oh, My name is Emily Compton."
    I subsequently dropped my gallon of milk and before I could react she was off.

WTF? O.O
    Y'know, if you didn't drop the gallon of milk, you could've asked her to lunch or something. Close man, close.
  • Kyuwel! Let's internet stalk her! (says Emily Compton the First)
  • edited December 2008
    I'd be really something if she looked the same. Really though, it's not all that uncommon to see people with the same name.
    Yeah, but it was so weird! She actually looked a little like the picture Emily has up on Sosauce.
    This isn't the first time something like this has happened to a person in my family. When my mom was in Italy (this was before I was born), She says that she saw a woman who looked exactly like her walking down the sidewalk from her car. She had to keep moving with the traffic, so she couldn't confirm it. And last year, I had to visit an optometrist; He looked and sounded exactly like Alan Alda. He even pointed it out when I said, "You know, you seem really familiar."

Hm. Is it possible that there are so many people on earth that collisions in genetic combinations are happening more frequently?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited December 2008
    Oh great, morphic resonance.. I'll be convinced when I meet another huge half black guy with huge hair who goes by the name Fred McDonald.

Fred McDonald: 10,400
    Emily Compton: 4,320

Probably not that accurate due to the sheer amount of references to the world "McDonalds" on the net. Still..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Oh man, it's annoying when someone else has my name. It turns out I have 4,930 in my search T.T. Damn all you fake Carolina Moyas!
  • edited December 2008
    There are only two people in the world with my name, myself and some young teen in Guam. Darn. I wanted to be the only Rochelle Mantanona.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm the only Victor Khaze, it seems. I just googled my name, though, and some interesting shit turned up. Apparently my music has found its way into a German Podcast.
  • Walter Bormans turns up 122,000 results.

I outperform you all!
  • edited December 2008
    Hmmm. Apparently the other Victoria Gadson's consists of an actress, an Olive Garden employee and one played in the NCHSAA 4A State Championships. Otherwise I'm the one who shows up mostly.

BTW, 212! Damn!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited December 2008
    Walter Bormansturns up 122,000 results.

I outperform you all!
    Not quite. The name's Davidson, George Davidson. 789,000
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • 2 results. Both appear to be me, one from an olympiade I participated in, and one being in a pdf published by a student organization from my university. I'm unique! I'm a special snowflake! I am cold! Damned winter.
  • Fred McDonald: 5,050,000
    That's over fifty million[, bitches! ] and also why you should put speech marks around your searches so it only picks those words next to each other.
  • edited December 2008
    Fred McDonald: 5,050,000
    That's over fifty million[, bitches! ] and also why you should put speech marks around your searches so it only picks those words next to each other.
    Oh, if we're gonna play the quotes game.

"George Davidson" 88,700 results.

Beat that.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I've not googled myself for a while so this was a fun excuse. It said there were about 30,100 but only displayed 30 pages of results and then this message:

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 295 already displayed.
    If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

Of the 295 results, all but 293 were references to me and the other two (mentioned for the first time on page 12 of results) were for this young rugby player. So I'm guessing there is probably only two Luke Burrages in the world, or at least on the internet so far.

However, as I looked through almost 300 hundred links I found some gems. Some academic work I posted online is referenced in a book, some quotes of mine are being used out of context as promotion, that kind of thing. But the best thing ever (for me) is from this German baby name website which puts up some examples of the names it lists. For "Luke" the list in full is this:

Lucky Luke (Comic-Cowboy)
    Luke Burrage (Jongleur)
    Luke Pritchard (Sänger der Indie-Rockband "The Kooks")
    Luke Skywalker (Yediritter, Star Wars)
    Luke Wilson (Schauspieler, Bruder von Owen Wilson)

I'm like... "What the fuck?"
  • edited December 2008
    "Peter Olsen" returns 67,300 results.

Peter Olsen returns 791,000.

Apparently, I'm a cinematographer, or a painter. Or some asshole named "Olson." Good job there, Google, correctly searching for the "-en" ending.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • "Grey Hugentobler" OR "Hugentobler, Grey" returns a mere 13 results.
    Perhaps I can still hide from the world a little longer...
  • Funny, I met my doppelganger the other day...We don't have the same name, but he looks exactly like me and we have similar tastes in books and music. He often greets me as "doppelganger" when I see him. He's a pretty cool guy, and I think he's one of the better doppelgangers, and is not intent on bringing me to great ruin by impersonating me and performing misdeeds in my name.
  • Wow, and here I thought I was at least in the top percentile for generic name, all the same Henry Brown gets a respectable number of results. It appears I'm also a US congressman, the spooky part is: that Henry E. Brown shares my middle initial. Personally I like to think I've traded my googleability for the fact that no one to date has misspelled or mispronounced my name.
  • My name turned up 329 results. The first hit is a Facebook profile for the guy who has my name. It seems he is a fan of the TV show Weeds. Great. At least I registered the domain for my name.
  • I have the same name as a photographer and a member of English Royalty, Lady Emily Compton, a young socialite who is a super-model.

But I can truthfully say:
    I'm Emily Compton, and I model for a living.
  • I get 0 results. Nothing, nada, zilch. Now if I were to mention my name and google's spider bot were to look in this thread... I think I'll remain nameless so that I can keep that zero for a little longer.
  • I get 0 results. Nothing, nada, zilch. Now if I were to mention my name and google's spider bot were to look in this thread... I think I'll remain nameless so that I can keep that zero for a little longer.
    Same here
    Same here
    I actually make an effort to improve my internet presence in a positive way. Employers will often google your name and if they see that you do awesome work it will probably look better (at least for tech jobs).
  • But I can truthfully say:
    I'm Emily Compton, and I model for a living.
    Appropriate
  • edited December 2008
    Kathleen MacIntyre: 158,000 reults, 149 exact matches
    Kathleen MacIntyre-Ross: None that matched up correctly
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm Emily Compton, and I model for a living.
    Hehehe... What do you put on your business card Emily?
  • dunno, uh...

3DCG conceptual artist
    modeling and design

But right now my business card is just my contact info and a caribou. If you want to know about reindeer facts....