This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090105 - Netbooks

2»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    AMD laptop? Forget it.
    Why?

It's 64 bit, the Atom is not. The AMD chipset supports HDMI. The Atom doesn't. That's a huge plus for me. It also benchmarks much better than the Atom. I'd hate to play HD content on an Atom. The AMD chipset will handle HD content just fine.

Of course all of this comes at the expense of battery life. And that's the 800 pound gorilla still sitting in the room.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited January 2009
    AMD chips are far less stable, make more heat, and are less energy efficient than Intel. In the days of Pentium 4, AMD was the winner because they had Intel blown away on the price:performance ratio despite other failings. As soon as things moved to dual core, AMD hasn't had shit.

Also, you might want to wait for this bad boy.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Looks pretty nice. No specs have been release though. But I would hazard a guess saying that it's no netbook but more of the pay through the nose ultrathin laptop.
  • edited January 2009
    As soon as things moved to dual core, AMD hasn't had shit.
    Not quite. The first Intel dual-cores were dual-core Pentium 4s, after all.
    In any case, Intel was the winner ever since they had the Pentium M. They just didn't realise it for a while.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Not quite. The first Intel dual-cores were dual-core Pentium 4s, after all.
    In any case, Intel was the winner ever since they had the Pentium M. They just didn't realise it for a while.
    Were there actually dual-core Pentium 4s? I thought those were just hyper-threading, not actually dual-core. Basically what happened was Intel developed the Pentium 4. It was way complicated, and way expensive, but it worked. However, AMD was able to able to beat it easily with the Athlon, especially the Athlon XP series. Eventually an Intel guy in Israel came up with a new chip design based on the Pentium 3. That led to the Core series that we have now. Intel really owes its entire business to that guy. If they had continued down the Pentium 4 road, they might not be around anymore. Apple certainly would not have switched to them.
  • Were there actually dual-core Pentium 4s?
    The Pentium D[2] brand refers to two series of dual-core 64-bit x86 processors with the NetBurst microarchitecture manufactured by Intel.
  • Were there actually dual-core Pentium 4s?
    Yup, I have on in my laptop, and it's a fine processor.
  • edited January 2009
    Yup, I have on in my laptop, and it's a fine processor.
    Except for the fact that it's based on a crappy architecture =D
  • Yup, I have on in my laptop, and it's a fine processor.
    Except for the fact that it's based on a crappy architecture =D
    Oh, I remember those. That's where they basically put two Pentium 4s in the same chip. The Core series of dual-core actually has two cores on the same die, AFAIK. They're also vastly superior in pretty much every other category.

See, in the Althon/Pentium 4 era, everything was about clock speed. They couldn't really figure out how to make the chips faster or better. All they were able to do was up the clock speed. That's why overclocking was so big in those days. Notice how in the new era, clock speeds aren't really going up so quickly anymore? That's because now they're concentrating on things like less power consumption, more efficient decoding, etc. It turns out its much better that way.

Think of it like cars. The previous generation of chips were like hot rods. Giant engine sticking out of the hood. No catalytic converter. Lots of noise. It works, it goes fast, but its unstable, loud, hot, and dangerous. The newer chips are like Porsches. Still wicked fast, but well engineered, sleek, and efficient.
  • My wife is close to getting a netbook (choice between Asus EEE, Acer Aspire One, and HP Mini) mainly to take to class to do word processing, access web-related course material and check campus e-mail. For that, I think $200 is a good price for one. It's just getting her to use Linux. *grins*
  • My wife is close to getting a netbook (choice between Asus EEE, Acer Aspire One, and HP Mini) mainly to take to class to do word processing, access web-related course material and check campus e-mail. For that, I think $200 is a good price for one. It's just getting her to use Linux. *grins*
    Well, if you want one with Windows, the price goes up significantly. That alone should get her to use it. If you use Ubuntu Netbook Remix it should be very nice.
  • Finally! A netbook I want! I guess it's not technically a netbook, but this machine is perfect. The price point (sub $500) is perfect, too.
  • Finally!A netbook I want!I guess it's not technically a netbook, but this machine is perfect. The price point (sub $500) is perfect, too.
    That sounds nice. I really like Lenovo computers, despite being Chinese.
  • edited January 2010
    I will soon be ordering a Dell Mini 10 that has been maxed out to the nines. We're talking GPS, Tv tuner, Bluetooth, 32GB SSD, HDMI out; the whole shebang. I'll even be upgrading the ram from 1gb to 2gb once it gets here. So, that being the case, let it be said that I will be doing a great many experiments with backpack/car computing and AR that would have been previously prohibative due either to heat or the inherant fragility of a spinning hard disk.

The Best part? Because I'm an amway distributor, I get $243 off, bringing a $862 configuration down to a neat $619.

FAIL: RAM IS NOT UPGRADEABLE!! What the Hell?! Apparently it's soldered in. ...the fuck?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I really like Lenovo computers, despite being Chinese.
    Just about everything is made in China anyway...
  • Because I'm an amway distributor
    This is deserving of its own thread.
  • Because I'm an amway distributor
    This is deserving of its own thread.
    "I'm an Amway distributor. Ask me anything."
  • Isn't Amway a pyramid scheme?
  • Isn't Amway a pyramid scheme?
    Multi-level Marketing.

So, yes.
  • Multi-level Marketing.

So, yes.
    Actually, no. A pyramid scheme is illegal, and Multi-level marketing is Legal, therefore, they are mutually exclusive. Please ignore the double diamond distributor behind the curtain.

Randomly - I once worked at a massive international Amway convention, and was tipped quite an exorbidant amount by Joe Vitale(Before he was a famous "Metaphysiologist" on The Secret, he was a marketer at Amway), who was allegedly quite intoxicated.
  • edited January 2010
    Actually, no. A pyramid scheme is illegal, and Multi-level marketing is Legal, therefore, they are mutually exclusive.
    That's not true. Technically speaking, MLM is not illegal per se, which means that it is not inherently illegal, but that doesn't mean that MLM is always legal - it's a matter of whether or not a number of criteria are met.

As such, any given MLM may or not be legally considered to be a pyramid scheme. Amway seems to be considered legal, because it doesn't charge for entry or for the privilege of recruiting others, but nonetheless it is a mechanism where those higher up exploit those lower down.
  • Please ignore the double diamond distributor behind the curtain.
    Hehehe, Don't forget the Crown Ambassadors.
    because it doesn't charge for entry or for the privilege of recruiting others, but nonetheless it is a mechanism where those higher up exploit those lower down.
    There is an $80-some-odd yearly fee and some form of inital joining fee, though I think that initial charge is to cover the sample box you get (sample vitamins, detergent packs, information packets) and the rest is to cover operations. Honestly, though, I don't do "The Business" as it's taught at the meetings and seminars. I just use it because we do, in fact carry some pretty awesome products. XS Energy drinks are the best tasting energy drinks I've ever had and the meal bars are delicious. I took a tour of the factory where the vitamins are made, and it is prettu awesome; holograms and hands on stuff. Also, we have ALOT of parner stores, so the discounts I can get are pretty sweet.

Anyhow, I decided I'm not going with the Dell because I need to be able to upgrade the ram. That being the case, I'm just gonna get a stock HP Mini 311-1000NR. Gonna make a trip down to Office Depot (another one of our partner stores) and pick one up there (earning PV/BV) for $399.
  • Hehehe, Don't forget the Crown Ambassadors.
    How could I? I was a very rich bartender after that night. I <3 American tourists.
  • IT HAS ARRIVED, AND IT IS GLORIOUS!

So Shiny! ^_^ I just finished putting in a 2gb stick of ram, bringing the total 3GB.
    Now all I gotta do is save up for a nice SSD to swap out this HDD with.
  • I was in Mediamarkt yesterday, and played with the new MacBook Air. That is a sweet machine! So tiny! I have no reason to buy it, but it would make an amazing christmas gift.