This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Decide on the Show Format

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
READ BEFORE YOU VOTE

OK. We really need to decide on a more permanent format for the podcast. Since it would be too difficult for me to list every possible show format in one poll, we're going to use this special thread. The way it works is there are two options in the poll by default. If you want to vote on an option that is not in the list, then make a post in the thread describing what format you would like the show to take. I will take any serious nomination and add it to the poll. Nothing is against the rules as long as you don't ask us to do more podcasting than we can fit on libsyn. That means that we can do no more than approximately 1111 minutes of podcasting every 30 days. I also suggest you guys do lots of nominations before you vote, unless of course you are absolutely sure you know what format you want.

Comments

• This is really just about if you should keep the geekback segment. It seems that while the geekback segment takes away from content of the show ( as in less commentary about news and metabits), it provides you guys with precious feedback about the show. I personally feel that you guys created the geekback segment as a way to receive more listener interactivity (to use the recent "zeal" episode). What needs to be done is to analyze if the feedback generated from geekback is of more value than the lost show content. Of course, this is assuming that the geekback segment is seen as just reading e-mails. Looking closely at the geekback segment, it is only really what could be considered "interactivity", rather than "creation", in that all you are doing is responding to e-mails, not forming opinions about news or telling one of the many geekery filled tales of old. I think that the geekback segment is a waste because all of that could be handled in the forums, rather than on the air, but it is just my opinion, perhaps other people feel differently about the segment.
  • How about an option for "The show is good either way". Basically, I don't see that much difference between the two, I see it as more of an opener, news/geekback, TotD, main bit. If you have a lot of news and no good geekback then skip the geekback, if the news is dry for the day and you have a backlog of geekback, do two of them. I think that two is the key here, so you don't spend most of the podcast in the news/geekback and have no time to discuss the main bit.
  • To add to my comment, in response to what WaterIsPoison said:

I don't think the geekback is a waste. Yes it could be done in the forums but switching things up makes the show interesting. I agree that just reading emails for the sake of reading emails isn't as interesting, that is why I don't think it should be a required part of the show, just do geekbacks if good ones come in, and two news reports otherwise. If a discussion is already in great progress on the forums then a geekback about the topic is probably not necessary.
  • Agreed.
  • I don't care for the GeekBack segment that much, and I really like the news bits. I think Rym was right in saying that he thinks the GeekNights news is better than TWiT, and I'd hate to lose it.
  • I don't dislike the GeekBack segments but I like the news better. I think James has a good thing going. Keep with the news when there's good day-appropriate news to be had. But if it's slow and there's an exceptional GeekBack then just say: "Slow news day today but we have been sitting on this awesome voice mail/email/smoke signal..."

Basically stick with the News/TOD/Main Bit unless the News is slow. GeekBacks are fun, especially ones like the Connecticon feedback, but should be used primarily as filler.
  • I think that Geekback is good when needed. If you try to do it every show, you're going to be stretching it too thin.

This message is Mr. Period approved.
  • Considering that Thursday is your "do fuck whatever" day, why not put any and all Geekback content on the Thursday show? I like the idea of listeners being able to receive on-air feedback, but I do have to agree that the news bits are generally more entertaining and insightful.
  • That's an idea. Do it like the Security Now podcast: every 2-4 weeks have a show dedicated to feedback.
  • Considering that Thursday is your "do fuck whatever" day, why not put any and all Geekback content on the Thursday show? I like the idea of listeners being able to receive on-air feedback, but I do have to agree that the news bits are generally more entertaining and insightful.
    I definatly agree with this. On thurday you could make Geekback a main part of the show even, the news parts and your general discussions about things are so entertaining they should not be cut back a bit for GB.
  • I liked the show in it's original format, but one thing I noticed (and I believe Scott mentioned on a previous podcast) is that your show needs a good "close-out". To clarify, after your main bit you seem to end the show too abruptly, and perhaps if you devote about ten minutes for Geekbacks at the end of the main bit it would help wind down the program.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2006
    Hmm..

How about we do geekbacks at the end normally, unless they're particularly relevant to a news or the main bit, in which case they go at the front where they are now? This has the added benefit that people who don't care about the geekback can just stop listening when it starts.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2006
    Having the geekbacks at the end could work, especially if it is not at the expense of having 2 news bits most of the time.

Edit: Now that I see this is a new option, I think I shall place my vote there.
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • edited July 2006
    But is that feasible? It doesn't do anything for too much bandwidth.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The show was 45-55 minutes for most of its existence. It's only very recently that we've started going super long. We're not making the show shorter than it started as! We're just going to stop going overlong with no good reason. ^_~
  • I'm not asking you to do 90 minute shows every night (though it'd be great if you did, IMHO). I'm just pointing out that if you do the News, TOD, Main Bit all their normal length and then tack on a GeekBack before the closer then your shows would have to be longer.
    I'm of the opinion that if the GB can come without cutting back on any of the other segments then I'm all in favor. If it comes down to a choice between the News and the GB, I'll favor the News. I was just responding to James' idea that having the GB on the end while still having a normal sized news on the front would implicitly result in a longer show. That is, unless you decided to start scimping on the main bits in favor of feedback; I doubt anyone would support that notion.
  • As I mentioned in my previous post, the geekback can add some flavor to the show, but is not something that needs to be there every day. If some good feedback comes in that they want to respond to, then they can add that to the show. Even if that means on occation there might not be a second news bit, or if the news bits that day didn't spawn a lot of discussion. (perhaps if it is a light news day anyway).

The idea of doing an occational geekback day on a Thursday also has some merit and is an equally good idea. I see that voting track is already pulling ahead as I write this so I can't complain ;p
  • I've long believed that the ideal structure of the show would be:

Intro->News->Main Bit->Things of the day->Outro

By having the things of the day at the end, it gives listeners something to follow up on after they've finished listening. Also, having two short segments next to each other doesn't feel right to me. Also, Geekback is great, but it should probably be on the Thursday show, at the end, so if people don't want to listen, they don't have to.
  • I like the geekback and the news, but I do not want them so subtract from the main bit.

I voted for Opener, News, TotD, Main bit, GeekBack every week or two as the format.
  • Can't you do longer episode but less episode in the archives?
  • I like the geekback at the end because it would give you guys a clear ending. Often you end the show with "well, I think we're done", "yeah" or the like. If you had something at the end of the show you could end it on that.
  • Being as you both do the show in your "spare time," and make no money off of it, I think you should follow whatever format you enjoy doing most. Geeknights works because you guys are having fun with it. If it were ever to become "work" to you, the quality of the show would suffer dramatically.

From my standpoint as a listener, I enjoy having two news bits. You both have very different tastes when it comes to picking news stories and TOTD. I enjoy both perspectives, especially the interplay between you guys when you are discussing them.

I do enjoy the "Geekback" segments, but I think that bit should be saved for when you receive feedback that is especially engaging. Failing that, a periodic episode answering various e-mails is nice too. I really enjoyed the one you did not long ago.

If you move "Geekback" to the end of a show, I will probably miss some of them. I always listen to the opening segments but don't always listen to the main bit. It depends on whether or not I'm interested in the topic. As I said though, the important thing is for you guys to do whatever makes it enjoyable for you. That is the one benefit that comes from volunteering your time on something you are passionate about - you are able to set the agenda.
  • I think you could save the geekback for the days when you have trouble finding news, so instead of forcing out news that you aren't that enthusiastic about, you could do some geekbacks instead.
  • Is there anyway to reset the poll due to the new options? Or perhaps create a new one with the new options for those of us who already voted at the beginning?
  • Is there anyway to reset the poll due to the new options? Or perhaps create a new one with the new options for those of us who already voted at the beginning?
    I told you not to vote until nominations were over. Did you listen? Nooooooo.
  • edited July 2006
    I think the idea of switching up the news and Geekback as necessary is a good one. This gives you some options for the inevitable slow news or (presumably inevitable) slow feedback days.

But, Geekback at the end of the show rather than directly in place of the news sounds like it work well.

EDIT: I voted for the second-to-last option, but really, the last two are much the same. Use your judgement as to which of the two would be more interesting on any particular night.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • Itold you not to vote until nominations were over. Did you listen? Nooooooo.
    Are you going to tell us when to vote then?
  • I think the result has already been skewed by early votes. The best thing to do would have been asking for nominations, then later adding the poll once nominations were done. Oh well.
  • I think the things of the day are good where they are. Even if you change the format of the show in some way, I think the things of the day are good as a second segment in the show, after what is now the news but before the main bits.
  • 1st or 3rd.

also for the things of the day - i would like less videos please. need a bit more variety.

great show guys