This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Oekaki: Which Oekaki board to use?

edited January 2009 in Art!
Posted By: AprechePosted by: OmnutiaDo you think we could get that oekaki board as part of the site redesign?
Tell me which oekaki is the best. I was researching it awhile ago, but nobody helped me out.Anyone have any favorites/recommendations? Chibipaint will probably work until we get something better but doing it all in one go would be easier.

Comments

• I went to 2draw.net. They have Lascaux, Shi-Painter, PaintBBS, and Chibipaint installed. I tried all four.

I'm no artist, but I know about software. All of these are so shitty and unprofessional, I would not have them anywhere on any of my sites. I'm aware that people out there are capable of making good arts with these programs, but that's not enough for me. The user interfaces on these things look like bad old Unix apps, or worse. Some of them are, in fact, bad old Java awt apps. Ewwwww!

Find one that has a clean and modern user interface that looks respectable. Then I'll consider setting it up.
  • edited January 2009
    We will not stand for this. This.. is.. Java!!
    Seriously though, Chibipaint looks fine enough for the people using it. Art applications have never really been known for how the interface is presented as long as it's laid out well. Screenshot here.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • We will not stand for this. This.. is.. Java!!
    Seriously though, Chibipaint looks fine enough for the people using it. Art applications have never really been known for how the interface is presented as long as it's laid out well.Screenshot here.
    That's not what it looks like on my screen. I'll show a screenshot later.
  • edited January 2009
    I mean, Chibipaint is open source. I suppose we could change the look of it if we really wanted to, right?

edit: Also, Scott, you care about how something LOOKS, not what it DOES? SHOCK!! Didn't you once mock me for saying a similar thing about the GIMP?

Also, the Java Applet ones are really bleh. They take forever to load and they have many problems.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edit: Also, Scott, you care about how something LOOKS, not what it DOES? SHOCK!! Didn't you once mock me for saying a similar thing about the GIMP?
    The Gimp is a lot better than any of these pieces of drek.
    Also, the Java Applet ones are really bleh. They take forever to load and they have many problems.
    Every one that I found was a Java applet. If you find one that isn't a Java applet, let me know.
  • If we want to do any major work, we would use an offline program and upload it. Oekaki is just something to doodle on. Needn't be complicated.
  • The Gimp is a lot better than any of these pieces of drek.
    I didn't say it wasn't, but it's all a matter of scale. I dislike the UI of the GIMP.
  • I didn't say it wasn't, but it's all a matter of scale. I dislike the UI of the GIMP.
    But is it because the Gimp is bad or because you use Photoshop first? It's very difficult to tell if a user interface is inherently bad, or if it's just frustrating because you are already used to something else. Also, when was the last time you used the Gimp? It's change a crazy amount very recently. I actually don't like what they did, but it opens up this extra window now and such. I don't really use it for more than simple crop/resize type stuff though, so it never mattered enough for me to care.

Also, even if people are ok using these user interfaces, they are not professional looking. So even though I don't have to use it, if it's on my web-site then it will appear unprofessional. Not something I want to put on a web site with my name on it.
  • But is it because the Gimp is bad or because you use Photoshop first?
    The Gimp is bad: it can't do even simple things that I often need.
  • But is it because the Gimp is bad or because you use Photoshop first?
    The Gimp is bad: it can't do even simple things that I often need.
    It can't do CMYK, but that's not really a simple thing. For every day image editing, it works just fine.
  • The Gimp is bad: it can't do even simple things that I often need.
    Give us an example of these simple things you cannot do with the Gimp.
  • Give us an example of these simple things you cannot do with the Gimp.
    Anything involving printing or CMYK. There are more, but artists would have to point them out, as I never draw anything or use a tablet.
  • Give us an example of these simple things you cannot do with the Gimp.
    Anything involving printing or CMYK. There are more, but artists would have to point them out, as I never draw anything or use a tablet.
    I already said, that isn't simple.
  • Moving along swiftly: Are you ok installing Chibipaint for the time being. We'd be quite happy using it for quick sketches (agree/disagree? fellow artists).
  • But is it because the Gimp is bad or because you use Photoshop first? It's very difficult to tell if a user interface is inherently bad, or if it's just frustrating because you are already used to something else. Also, when was the last time you used the Gimp?
    I used it over Christmas Break. Also, that is not true about the interface. There are some things (window docking, etc.) that I like better in Blender than Maya, and once you get used to the shortcuts, they are actually convenient.

Okay, compare the text capabilities of PS and GIMP. The GIMP makes you type in a little window and you have to double click in order to tell it to make the text appear in the picture. Photoshop, you just click right on the layer and type your words. Also: The Gimp is bad at antialiased text and any sort of small sizes. I don't know if it just doesn't like true type fonts, or what. I can show you some hetalia strips I did with the gimp versus some that I did in CS4. Big difference. Photoshop isn't perfect, but sometimes the GIMP seems a little less than streamlined. Also, it doesn't handle tablets as well as it should.
  • I think you have to use a separate thing for gimp tablet pressure sensitivity. I never tried it though, so I don't know.
  • To level with everyone: The GIMP is pretty damn good considering it is made by enthusiasts, even in comparison to PS which is an extremely well funded commercial application. Now, can we get back to Oekaki discussion.
  • Now, can we get back to Oekaki discussion.
    Go find one that looks professional, and not like something for kiddies to use on their pokemans site.
  • You ask too much. Why won't you just let us be happy?!
  • Anything involving printing or CMYK. There are more, but artists would have to point them out, as I never draw anything or use a tablet.
    I asked because Scott said the following:
    It can't do CMYK, but that's not really a simple thing. For every day image editing, it works just fine.
    Thus I wondered if you actually have anything simple you need to do with the Gimp.
  • You ask too much. Why won't you just let us be happy?!
    Because Scott feeds on your disappointment.
    If everyone doesn't mind, including Scott, I can try to throw something up on my site using ShiiPainter and Kaehara, which I know how to do pretty quickly.
  • edited January 2009
    You ask too much. Why won't you just let us be happy?!
    Because Scott feeds on your disappointment.
    If everyone doesn't mind, including Scott, I can try to throw something up on my site using ShiiPainter and Kaehara, which I know how to do pretty quickly.
    Good work that man/woman/other.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If everyone doesn't mind, including Scott, I can try to throw something up on my site using ShiiPainter and Kaehara, which I know how to do pretty quickly.
    Scott'll object, being worried about his image. Oh noes, hosting an applet and a simple web page for simple usage by artistic people from the forums is impossible if it looks bad, ignoring the fact that Scott wouldn't be using it, thus seeing it.
  • edited January 2009
    Scott doesn't want to put up a crappy looking app on his site, even though there aren't really any great looking apps because it wouldn't look professional? Who is Scott trying to impress and who wouldn't understand that he put it up just to please artists on his forum? Why don't we all just paint chat together and post the page after? Imagine all the cute little Rym & Scott moe drawings.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Why don't we all just paint chat together and post the page after? Imagine all the cute little Rym & Scott moe drawings.
    What is this Paint Chat you speak of?

Also, certainly if someone just hosted an oekaki app on their own site, and started a thread with a link in the first post, that would do, right?
  • I already said, that isn't simple.
    The only thing I use Photoshop for is making publicity material. All of this needs to be in CMYK to be printed. I'm going to get Photoshop for my own computer, because at the moment I always have to borrow my girlfriend's computer to do graphics work.

Oh, and Gimp on Mac runs with X11, meaning each time you click the menu window you have to click TWICE, once to select the window, then the icon in the window. And then, when you go back to the editing window you have to click it TWICE, once to select the window, and again to click where you actually want. I'm sure this isn't a problem in non-Mac versions of Gimp, but it is that, and many other clunky UI problems that makes it almost completely unusable.
  • The only thing I use Photoshop for is making publicity material. All of this needs to be in CMYK to be printed. I'm going to get Photoshop for my own computer, because at the moment I always have to borrow my girlfriend's computer to do graphics work.
    I should learn CMYK and put it in the Gimp. This has gone on long enough.
    Oh, and Gimp on Mac runs with X11, meaning each time you click the menu window you have to click TWICE, once to select the window, then the icon in the window. And then, when you go back to the editing window you have to click it TWICE, once to select the window, and again to click where you actually want. I'm sure this isn't a problem in non-Mac versions of Gimp, but it is that, and many other clunky UI problems that makes it almost completely unusable.
    X11 on Mac OSX has always been a joke IMHO. Sure, it works, but it works like an '80s UNIX machine. You can use Xming with PuTTY/Cygwin on Windows and get an X11 experience that is amazing. Meanwhile OSX, which is very much BSD, can't do it right.
  • edited January 2009
    I should learn CMYK and put it in the Gimp. This has gone on long enough.
    While you're at it, could you fix up the brush engine, too?

I'm actually going to stick up for the GIMP a bit here. I haven't used it in years, and it looks like it's come a long way. There are still a few things that would prevent me from using it, most notably the lack of some features in the brush engine which make it lag WAY behind the commercial programs as far as digital painting goes. But if I was stuck with it, it wouldn't be THAT bad. (As long as I wasn't doing color printing.)

Also, what's with the ridiculous keyboard shortcuts they chose? There are a lot of really standard keyboard shortcuts that almost all graphics software has in common, and it's mind-boggling to me that the developers would ignore that. Are they TRYING to drive people away from their software?
    Post edited by Funfetus on

• Also, what's with the ridiculous keyboard shortcuts they chose? There are a lot of really standard keyboard shortcuts that almost all graphics software has in common, and it's mind-boggling to me that the developers would ignore that. Are they TRYING to drive people away from their software?
    Some time ago someone made a fork of the gimp that has Photoshop shortcuts.
  • edited January 2009

Also, what's with the ridiculous keyboard shortcuts they chose? There are a lot of really standard keyboard shortcuts that almost all graphics software has in common, and it's mind-boggling to me that the developers would ignore that. Are they TRYING to drive people away from their software?
    Some time ago someone made a fork of the gimp that has Photoshop shortcuts.
    Yeah, I remember GIMPshop. It had more than just Photoshop shortcuts, it mimicked Photoshop's ui pretty effectively. Also, if I remember correctly, the developers of GIMP were pretty unhappy about GIMPshop. I just don't understand why theydidn't bother to at least keep the shortcuts the same. You're just adding an extra layer of difficulty to switching from almost any other software. It would be like if you made a word-processor, and Ctrl-x was save, Ctrl-p was quit, Ctrl-s was bold, etc. Why would you do that?
    Post edited by Funfetus on