This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Oekaki: Which Oekaki board to use?

Comments

• It would be like if you made a word-processor, and Ctrl-x was save, Ctrl-p was quit, Ctrl-s was bold, etc. Why would you do that?
    Firefox actually had a lot of issues with keyboard shortcuts. They would pick a shortcut that made sense for Windows, but they'ld have to pick something different for Linux or Mac. Eventually they went through and standardized them across all three platforms. It was annoying for me though when I had to switch from ctrl+j to ctrl+k.
  • What is this Paint Chat you speak of?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_chat
    I used to go to a paint chat room but I don't remember which one it was. Open canvas is nice but it can only hold 4 people. I don't remember the connection being fantastic. If I have time I'll try out those other paint chat rooms on the wiki list.
  • edited January 2009
    If I have time I'll try out those other paint chat rooms on the wiki list.
    Sounds fun. I haven't done any online drawing with others in a while. Conceptart.org had a "sketcher" board up for a while, and some really great artists frequented that one. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's gone now.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited January 2009
    Markoon, you win, yet again.
    On further reading, only Opencanvas seems any good, was hoping for something cross platform.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • RymRym
    edited January 2009
    Gimp CMYK plugin.
    I've used that. It's useless to the point of being painful.
    This has gone on long enough.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • *sniff* Never before has a Star Trek clip been so appropriately used on this forum...
  • CMYK is hard. Why didn't someone tell me to major in printing before it was too late?
  • Why didn't someone tell me to major in printing before it was too late?
    RIT told us several times, but we didn't believe them. I even went to the printing school overview when I visited campus.
  • edited January 2009
    Here's a paint chat room that you can try for yourself. The first thing you'll type is your name. The rest is chat. I think someone else can erase your stuff so don't get too attached!
    shi-chan

This P-chat is down. Maybe it was swamped with people. You can still see the art load in/animate in front of your eyes, if you find that interesting. I'm getting the feeling that these things are really popular and the superior p-chat rooms require you to have an account.
    If you change the number of the p-chat room in the URL, you can get into other Pchats. However they are all crashed or something.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Anybody ever use Paint.net? I quite like it I never could get the hang of using GIMP.
  • CMYK is really fucking difficult and it's no surprise the GIMP hasn't had it for so long. I think one of the next versions of the GIMP is gunning to have CMYK conversion included though. Check the developer's blog. There's a long and complicated way to get CMYK working in the GIMP right now but I could never really get it to work well for me and it was really not worth the effort.

I'll stick up for the GIMP and say that it's a good program. It'll do simple edits very easily and for a long time I preferred it for compressing and/or resizing files. If you're only working with the web then the GIMP will do everything you need to do. It's also very simple to get your tablet working with it although really it should install ready for tablet use... GIMP has been heavily geared towards web development for a long long time rather than towards making pictures from scratch. I guess Photoshop was like that too though. Kind of still is.

I should probably also mention that I grew up with the GIMP. My dad got me a gigantic GIMP user manual when I turned 15 or something and I actually read it. :P I never had trouble with the UI after I initially learned where the things I wanted were. Moving to the Photoshop from GIMP, however, was absolutely bizarre. I still am not used to it. Using layers in PS is messed up.
  • What do you people think about SUMO Paint?
  • What do you people think aboutSUMO Paint?
    That's pretty nice. Probably the best I've seen, with the exception of this one, which is public, and you have to draw with other people. Conceptart.org had a private room for a while, and that was awesome because it was full of talented artists. Anyway. There is something that bugs me about SUMO Paint, and it's pretty nitpicky, but it's that it's close enough to real paint app that the little things it doesn't have (like keyboard shortcuts, especially) bug me a lot more than some random crappy oekaki app. Also, it ought to have tablet support -- it is possible, there are others that have it.
  • I don't normally expect keyboard shortcuts but Sumo paint looked so professional that I was in a photoshop mind set when I started it. I can do with out the shortcuts but it didn't recognize tablet sensitivities. I thought all apps would easily have that. It was still pretty nice but it should totally have tablet support.
  • As long as it allows for collaboration, anything will do.
    When you say collaboration what do you mean exactly? I don't think that multiple people drawing the same thing at the same time is really feasible.
    When you say collaboration what do you mean exactly? I don't think that multiple people drawing the same thing at the same time is really feasible.
    I've been in boards where several people are drawing on the same page at different times.
  • Ok.. links?
  • Don't have one at hand, just remember it was all the rage in deviantart.com like a few years back, everyone was doing this collaborations online just can't remember if it was some kind of OpenCanvas hack thing or an online board.
  • You can have up to 4 people in Open Canvas painting together. OpenCanvas isn't in a web browser though. I think Shiipainter was the Oekaki that was all the rage on Deviant art at one point.
  • You can have up to 4 people in Open Canvas painting together. OpenCanvas isn't in a web browser though. I thinkShiipainterwas the Oekaki that was all the rage on Deviant art at one point.
    I've investigated the Shiipainter. It's really ugly in interface and in code. Also, most of the links concerning it around the Internets are super broken.
  • Artgrounds Sketcher allows multiple people to draw/paint at the same time. It's a pretty solid program, too. I think it's to be used exclusively on that site, though.
  • @Scott: Ditto. I think the world has rightfully forgotten shiipainter.
    @Funfetus: I'm going to go test that out for myself now.
  • Is it just me or is Sumopaint not accepting key presses?
  • Is this a good oekaki for your artisty people? It is very nice and professional looking, fast, and requires no flash. However, I an unable to evaluate whether it actually has the drawing tools you need.

http://mugtug.com/sketchpad/
  • Is this a good oekaki for your artisty people? It is very nice and professional looking, fast, and requires no flash. However, I an unable to evaluate whether it actually has the drawing tools you need.
    It's pretty-looking, but I don't much care for it. None of the tools seem to actually be useful.

The ConceptArt.org sketcher is back up, and I don't think anyone's been using it lately. We could all just go over there. That software is still the best online drawing app, if you ask me. Alternatively, it's $17/month for a private room. I'd be willing to put up half on an ongoing basis if the rest of you can come up with the other $8.50.
  • edited February 2010
    It has no layers, it has stuff like a "spirograph" function instead of a "smudge" or "blend" tool and it just seems pretty useless. The only things it basically has that matter to artists are a paintbrush and an eraser. I've been on much more functional but ugly javascript oekaki.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • http://news.deviantart.com/article/125373/
    Hmmm...I don't know. Supposedly it has pressure-sensitivity, but I can't seem to get it to work, and a lot of other people seem to be having the same problem. Also seems to have a weird lagginess with my Cintiq -- I don't know if that's an issue with the Cintiq or all tablets, but I don't have it with any of the software I normally use. That makes it a bit too frustrating to actually try to dig into the features.