This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My super (starting to get) awesome list of everything I should watch/read/whatever

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So I've been more interested in media in general, and I need a place to write down everything I should watch, as well as a place where you can suggest.

Anime - I barely even watch anime, my catalog of watched anime needs to be expanded dramatically. I don't even know what most of these are about, I'm just a little nooblet.

-Cowboy bebop
-Escaflowne
-Evangelion
-Miyazaki's work (whatever this encompasses, you guys seem to like his older work)
-Detroit metal city
-Trigun
-Slayers
-KO Century Beast
-Azumanga Daioh
-Interstella 5555

Music - Eh, I guess you could suggest some bands, but most of the time if I know a song, I've already heard it. Kinda pointless to have a list of music I must hear unless it's something that's not mainstream and isn't on youtube.

-Daft Punk - Discovery
-The Clash - London Calling
-Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
-Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights
-Mastodon - Leviathan - I'll give it a try, I'm open minded here. I did listen to Slayer on youtube, which didn't seem different from what I expected in that it was "just" metal. I guess for me to like metal it has to be interesting in some way.
-Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
-The Clash - London Calling

Movies - I'm pretty much just going from the IMDB's top 250 movies list.

-The Godfather
-The Dark knight
-Pulp Fiction
-The Matrix
-Anything Monty Python (I want to watch Life of Brian currently)
-A clockwork orange
-Requiem for a Dream
-In Bruges
-Dr. Horrible's sing-along blog
-Into the wild
-The Usual Suspects

I also found the movie Strangers on a Train, which I bet can fit with the rest of those "snakes on a plane" parody pictures.

TV shows - Hm...Any recommendations?

-24 season 7
-Um... Heroes? Ok scratch that.
-Monty Python's Flying Circus!
-Numb3rs - recommended by a friend
-Arrested Development
-Firefly
-Futurama
-Wonderfalls
-Dead like me
-Carnivàle
-Battlestar Galactica
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Metalocalypse
-Lost
-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
-The Wire
-League of Gentlemen
-Operation Good Guys
-Monkey Dust

Books - I haven't read in a long time, actually I need to read more.

-The Prince of Nothing
-Snow Crash
-Storm of steel
-Shakespeare
-Ender's game
-Jason's list o' books

I want to watch some of the classics. I want to watch some newer stuff that is also good (but classics always seem to be the best. I guess that's why they're classics.). I just want to expand my general repertoire of media in most mediums. Also, I know I'm missing some mediums, but I don't think any major ones. I'm not interested in manga/comics at the moment, because I'm focusing more on the mediums I've listed above. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Miyazaki btw
  • Firefly, fool.
  • Slayers, not Slayer.
  • Forget Heroes. Read a few books instead.
  • Slayers, not Slayer.
    Slayer the band, though, also belongs on that list.
  • For TV, add The Simpsons, Futurama, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and all of those other things I like and therefore are good.

For music, I'd say it should be categorized by full albums that almost all people would enjoy. I'd like to suggest Daft Punk's Discovery as a starting point (I've never heard anyone diss Daft Punk). Also, at some point try sitting through a Girl Talk album, just because it all flows fantastically well.
  • That would be Monty Python's Flying Circus, not Monty Python and the Flying Circus.

It wouldn't hurt to read House of Leaves.
  • edited January 2009
    Houseof Leaves.
    Honestly? Wasn't that impressed.
    Also, Ender's Game.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • Lost is pretty good as far as TV shows go.
  • edited January 2009
    Forget Heroes. Read a few books instead.
    Which ones? :)
    Slayers, not Slayer.
    Slayer the band, though, also belongs on that list.
    I'm not into metal.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Forget Heroes. Read a few books instead.
    Whichones? :)
    Instead of Heroes? ANY book.
    His books are great, I've also read Dirk's adventures (I think that's his name).
    His books are great, I've also read Dirk's adventures (I think that's his name).
    Dirk Gently. A Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul is my favorite Dirk Gently novel.
  • If your not currently reading anything read Snow Crash (It's super mega freakin awesome), and if your not watching any anime watch ANY Miyazaki or Cowboy Bebop, and definitely watch Pulp Fiction and the Dark Knight.
  • Buffy the vampire slayer, Dr. Horrible, Wonderfalls, Dead like Me, Carnivale, Battlestar Galactica (new series).
  • Snow Crash (It's super mega freakin awesome)
    Yeah, that level of intelligence pretty much sums up Snow Crash.

Meanwhile, for some quality science fiction (selected from all the science fiction I read last year) check out these books, taken from the ratings page on the Science Fiction Book Review Podcast:

4 to 4.9 star books

* 006 - Fire in the Abyss - Stuart Gordon - 4 stars.
    * 007 - Peter F. Hamilton - Fallen Dragon - 4 stars.
    * 014 - Robert A. Heinlein and Spider Robinson - Variable Star - 4 stars.
    * 017 - Kim Stanley Robinson - Antarctica - 4 stars.
    * 019 - Alastair Reynolds - The Prefect - 4 stars.
    * 020 - Joe Haldeman - The Forever War - 4 stars.
    * 022 - John Brunner - The Crucible of Time - 4 stars.
    * 030 - Peter F Hamilton - The Dreaming Void - 4 stars.
    * 028 - Robert Reed - Down the Bright Way - 4.2 stars.
    * 004 - Robert A. Heinlein - The Door Into Summer - 4.5 stars.
    * 011 - Frank Herbert - Dune - 4.5 stars.
    * 032 - John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids - 4.5 stars.
    * 015 - Vernor Vinge - The Peace War - 4.6 stars.

[edit] 5 star books

* 026 - Iain M. Banks - Use of Weapons - 5 stars.
  • Music- Eh, I guess you could suggest some bands, but most of the time if I know a song, I've already heard it. Kinda pointless to have a list of music I must hear unless it's something that's not mainstream and isn't on youtube.
    I'm hesitant to recommend you anything because I'm not completely sure what your intentions with this list are, but it seems like you more just want to expand your knowledge of these mediums. So I'll recommend an array of genres and you can see what sticks.

Daft Punk - Discovery: Just in case you missed Socha's post. This is a good example of electronic music done right and is a pretty iconic work as far as the genre is concerned.

The Clash - London Calling: Again, an iconic album for punk rock. Everyone should hear this.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea: This is one of those albums that all the indie kids will always recommend, but don't let that turn you off. I've never met a person who didn't enjoy it to some extent.

Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights: The iconic ska record. Upbeat and fast with lots of horns.

Mastodon - Leviathan: I know you said you didn't like metal, but we're trying new things here, right? This album is basically a rock opera about Moby Dick. It's pretty accessible and, who knows, you may get into it!

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News: This is another one of those things that most people like, especially the song Float On. If you like this, I suggest moving on to The Moon And Antarctica.

So give these a try. At the very least, you'll find out what kind of music you like and don't like.
  • I'm hesitant to recommend you anything because I'm not completely sure what your intentions with this list are, but it seems like you more just want to expand your knowledge of these mediums. So I'll recommend an array of genres and you can see what sticks.
    Yup, that's right. It can also serve as a list for others that wish to expand their own horizons. It's more for me myself, because I don't put what I don't like (for example, slayer). Also, I don't update it with stuff I've already watched. I'm wondering though, should I perhaps gear this more as a list for me, or as a list for everyone? I intended it to be a way of allowing you guys to suggest stuff that I should watch, but it'll also serve a purpose for others. Do you guys want to make this a general purpose list of what you must consume in order to call yourself geeks?

I'm done encoding cowboy bebop for the iPhone. Show 5,6, and 7 will be watched tonight! I'm going to bed, so I'll update my list when I wake up. G'night all.
  • For TV, the HBO series The Wire is possibly the best thing I've ever seen on TV, and probably either the best or the second best tv show ever.
  • Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights: The iconic ska record. Upbeat and fast with lots of horns.
    Speaking of which, if you haven't read Joseph Heller's Catch-22, do so.
  • I'm not into metal.
    Watch DMC. It'll change your mind.

On that note, Metalocalypse is a fantastic show.

• The Clash - London Calling: Again, an iconic album for punk rock. Everyone should hear this.
    It's pretty debatable whether London Calling is a "punk" album. In my opinion, it's mostly fake reggae and ska. It's still a good album. The Clash's early albums were good examples of early British punk. The Sex Pistols' Nevermind the Bollocks is probably better for that, though.
  • edited January 2009
    It's pretty debatable whether London Calling is a "punk" album. In my opinion, it's mostly fake reggae and ska. It's still a good album.
    What makes it so good is it's incorporation of other genres, but it's definitely still punk. Sure, your typical SoCal punk band is going to sound a lot more like Give 'em Enough Rope, but London Calling to me captures the spirit of what punk is and is supposed to be, right down to the album cover. Saying fuck the scene and fuck what everyone else has done is what true rebellion is all about.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2009
    For TV, I would add The Office and 30 Rock. They're pretty much the only shows I watch nowadays.

EDIT: Oh, and the first season of Lost.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Sure, your typical SoCal punk band is going to sound a lot more likeGive 'em Enough Rope, butLondon Callingto me captures the spirit of what punk is and is supposed to be, right down to the album cover.
    If you're just talking about the "spirit", then that can apply just as well to a thousand bands in every genre, or hell, thousands of artists in every medium. If you're putting music into genres, it really needs to be about the music, right? There are maybe 5 songs on London Calling that are even straight rock songs. Plenty of bands that no one would consider punk sound a lot more punk than London Calling.

Anyway -- back on topic:
    For TV, I'm really enjoying It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia lately. I haven't seen anything as consistently funny in a long, long time.
  • If you're putting music into genres, it really needs to be about the music, right?
    Ok, fine, you're right. He should still listen to London Calling.
  • He should still listen to London Calling.
    Fair enough. I did say that it's a good album -- it's one of a couple dozen or so "punk" albums I still listen to occasionally. :)
  • For TV, the HBO series The Wire is possibly the best thing I've ever seen on TV, and probably either the best or the second best tv show ever.
    Pretty much this, The Wire is the second greatest T.V show ever and has some of the greatest characters ever written for T.V, Omar for example.
    Get rid of Lost on your list. The first season was alright but after that it heads down hill fast and never answers any of the questions it asks.
    If you have being living under a rock for the past 7 years pick up a copy of Band of Brothers, which is the greatest T.V show ever.
    I'm going to assume that you are American so the following might be abit hard to get hold of but if you can get League of Gentlemen (BBC series, don't bother with the film), Operation Good Guys and Monkey Dust.
  • I wouldn't scratch Heroes from your list entirely. Despite a bit of a hokey start, the first season is brilliant. You just have to stop after that, because the first season has a perfect ending and the series just goes down the shitter as soon as the second season starts.