This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shoegazing

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
What are your favorite shoegazing bands?

Comments

• edited February 2009
    In b4 Bear Police
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2009
    Jesu.

EDIT: Wikipedia has told me that Broken Social Scene and The Brian Jonestown Massacre are also shoegaze (to my surprise), so count those as well.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My kind of thread!

Deerhunter and My Bloody Valentine are the cream of the crop. The Jesus and Mary Chain started the whole scene with their Beach Boys melodies and aggressive white noise, and are definitely worth checking out. Vivian Girls are a fun punk, lo-fi, shoegaze group. Grouper makes incredible, slow, ambient, reverb-drenched shoegaze.

I could go on forever dude. If you've heard of these guys and want more recommendations, I'm here for you.
  • If you really like My Bloody Valentine you should check out: Ride,Places to bury Strangers and Lush
  • edited February 2009
    As if I haven't already. I'm much more into the punk side of shoegaze than the dream pop that Ride and Lush make.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I highly recommend to check out Places to Bury Strangers.

Joy Division+The cure+MBV+Jesus and mary chain=Places to bury strangers
  • It's A Place to Bury Strangers and I already dig them a lot.
  • Hey Bear Police, if you like Places to bury strangers you should check out: My bloody valentine, Deer hunter.

On a more serious note, I can't say I've ever really liked any shoegaze bands. I definitely have tried to. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart is a little shoegazy but, other than that, I can't seem to get into any of it.
  • Vivian Girls are of the same ilk as a lot of Smell bands, so you should probably check them out.
  • The Pains of being pure at Heart to me seem more like My Bloody Valentine's early days before Loveless
  • edited February 2009
    I've been known to shoegaze, from time to time.

Post edited by Walker on
  • I've been known to shoegaze, from time to time.
    Piss off, Bootwatching is the way of the future.
  • I've never heard of shoe gazing, but this is the exact music I play. Finally I've found the name for it. ^^
  • You youngn's and your "new" music types....
  • I've been known to shoegaze, from time to time.
    Hehe, when I saw this thread title I panicked. I thought those tea leaf readers had found a new ridiculous way to read my future, that would also allow them to sell me back my own shoes. Churba's boots win of course.
  • I haven't had this much fun playing guitar in a long time. A LOT of new inspiration.
  • I've got a strange relationship with shoegaze. Especially given some of my favorite bands/songs (Summer Babe by Pavement is my second most played song on iTunes), I should be all for more awesome lo-fi. However, if the song is bad, it can literally leave me in pain.

Out of that group, The Jesus & Mary Chain was pretty awesome. The rest of them made me feel sick.
    It isn't new.
    It isn't new.
    Depends on how you look at it ^_^
    It isn't new.
    The laste 80's and early 90's. You were still a kid back then... you were just out of touch with the music scene. ^_^
  • Shoe gaze music is making a big comeback:http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4135962
  • edited February 2009
    You youngn's and your "new" music types....
    It isn't new.
    The laste 80's and early 90's. You were still a kid back then... you were just out of touch with the music scene. ^_^
    Yea but in general my music tastes are 60's and 70's and early 80's :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • @ ScoJo That may be your taste, but that doesn't make everything that came after it "new".
  • @ ScoJo That may be your taste, but that doesn't make everything that came after it "new".
    Well, new is a relative term. If you've only been alive for say, 15 years, then something from five years ago is old. If you've been alive for 80 years, five years ago is really new. It's a matter of perception, but with a relative term like "new", perception is what matters. Since Scott Johnson is actually a big hairy Neanderthal that just won't die, it's actually pretty amazing that he considers the '70s to be old. For him, the '70s are effectively yesterday.
    Well, new is a relative term. If you've only been alive for say, 15 years, then something from five years ago is old. If you've been alive for 80 years, five years ago is really new. It's a matter of perception, but with a relative term like "new", perception is what matters. Since Scott Johnson is actually a big hairy Neanderthal that just won't die, it's actually pretty amazing that he considers the '70s to be old. For him, the '70s are effectively yesterday.
    Scott Johnson is only a few years older than you, you skinny, hairy, fungal infested cave dweller. ^_~
    While I was born in the 70's I only existed for one month during that time outside of my host organism :-p
  • Ambient shoegaze black metal ftw!
  • The 80's-90's,in my opinion, were the best times of music in general.