This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's going on with my computer? (The computer help thread)

1222324252628»

Comments

• There are SSDs that just plug into PCIE slots.

Although the main market for those is enterprise hardware so I don't think they're precisely cheap...

The SSD or the PCIE?
  • The SSDs with PCIE connectors.
  • Not strictly my computer, but seriously 100% fuck Telstra. Phone service is passable, but jesus their internet service is nothing but trouble. And of course, they're the only option at this premises without dropping back to low-speed over-the-phone-line ADSL, because they're anti-competitive fucksticks.
  • Churba said:

Not strictly my computer, but seriously 100% fuck Telstra. Phone service is passable, but jesus their internet service is nothing but trouble. And of course, they're the only option at this premises without dropping back to low-speed over-the-phone-line ADSL, because they're anti-competitive fucksticks.

So if you have a physical Telstra connection I'm quite sure that TPG, Logitel and Exetel are available to you it would be strange otherwise as these companies use the Telstra network.

When I was working up North in Karratha and all the infrastructure was Telstra, I was still able to get a non Telstra ISP.

Might be worth a check so you don't have to deal with their shit.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Not strictly my computer, but seriously 100% fuck Telstra. Phone service is passable, but jesus their internet service is nothing but trouble. And of course, they're the only option at this premises without dropping back to low-speed over-the-phone-line ADSL, because they're anti-competitive fucksticks.

So if you have a physical Telstra connection I'm quite sure that TPG, Logitel and Exetel are available to you it would be strange otherwise as these companies use the Telstra network.
    Trust me, I've tried. They're available - as over the phone line ADSL. Unlike the phone lines, Telstra don't have an obligation to share when it comes to cable infrastructure, and due to a quirk of the location, Telstra are the only ones with any sort of cable infrastructure that we can use.

• And also, their router firmware is A)Complete anus to deal with, and B)refuses to play nice with my home network. Despite the fact that "Home network" is just a grandiose way of saying "A real dumb switch, and a router acting as a pretty dumb wi-fi bridge for phones."
  • Can't you just buy your own router and use that with their modem? Shit I've bought multiple used ones for like $5.
  • edited April 2016

Can't you just buy your own router and use that with their modem? Shit I've bought multiple used ones for like $5.

That is literally what the new modem has broken. They refuse to just be friends and work together.

The setup is complicated somewhat by the fact that I can't just use the wi-fi built into the Telstra modem, on account of the huge steel-reinforced concrete firewall located between the cable endpoint(where the router must be), and any place that we'd want to use the wi-fi.

In all honesty, I'm just glad that my desktop is working on the wired network. This is getting to be an enormous pain in the arse.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2016
    Do you have the NAT and stuff disabled on the router so it doesn't conflict with the modem? Look for a wireless repeater mode in the settings.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited April 2016
    Pegu said:

Do you have the NAT and stuff disabled on the router so it doesn't conflict with the modem? Look for a wireless repeater mode in the settings.

Yep. Didn't help in the slightest. It is basically playing as dumb as dumb can get.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • UPDATE - It was Telstra's crappy hardware. Almost everything is working fine now, the only question is why my phone won't connect on the house wifi, but everyone else's phones are fine.
  • So I bought a used thinkpad x201i for $70 the other day, and for the most part its worked great. Except the wifi. I've been able to use it fine with a dongle but something is fucked with the internal wifi. At first nothing showed up so I thought it was a driver issue in Ubuntu. Tried finding the right one and no change. I ended up taking off the keyboard and making sure the little wifi card was inserted properly and pushed on it a little bit . When I reassembled it, the wifi worked!...for a few minutes. Then it became unresponsive, wouldn't refresh the available networks, and kept saying I was connected to the same network even after I disabled networking. Think this is a bum wifi card or could there be a firmware issue?
  • So I bought a used thinkpad x201i for $70 the other day, and for the most part its worked great. Except the wifi. I've been able to use it fine with a dongle but something is fucked with the internal wifi. At first nothing showed up so I thought it was a driver issue in Ubuntu. Tried finding the right one and no change. I ended up taking off the keyboard and making sure the little wifi card was inserted properly and pushed on it a little bit . When I reassembled it, the wifi worked!...for a few minutes. Then it became unresponsive, wouldn't refresh the available networks, and kept saying I was connected to the same network even after I disabled networking. Think this is a bum wifi card or could there be a firmware issue?

Way back in the day I remember we had to flash wifi firmwares to make them work on Linux. I think that a Thinkpad x201i is much newer than those days. You'll just have to google for the specific wifi card you have in there plus ubuntu/linux to find any answers.
  • Ugh, Linux. So goddamn fiddly.
  • Using Firefox developer edition, when I go to https://chriszarate.github.io/supergenpass/mobile, I am redirected to http://www.supergenpass.com/mobile (not https). Console doesn't show any requests going to chriszarate.github.io. Firefox regular edition stays at https://chriszarate.github.io/supergenpass/mobile. Anyone know what's going on with that?
  • Sounds like an HSTS related issue.
  • If HSTS was broken shouldn't the browser be showing me crazy warnings? I thought the whole point was to prevent TLS downgrade attacks.
  • I tried adding the "s" in the URL and it gave me a warning. I added an exception, and it proceeds like normal.
  • It redirected for me too and I'm using regular Firefox as far as I know. And it also gave me the warning when I added the s.