This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's going on with my computer? (The computer help thread)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I've tried googling for this one, but I don't even know what to search for.

In Firefox, it used to be that when I closed a tab, the tab immediately to the left of the closed tab would become active. Now, my leftmost tab is becoming active when I close a tab. I don't think I actually DID anything to change this aside from maybe unintentionally hit a hotkey or something. Anyone know how to change this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. It's the browser.tabs.selectOwnerOnClose setting. No idea how it got changed.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Is there any way I could flash or maybe even replace the bios chip?
    There should be a CMOS jumper on your motherboard. Power down the computer. Move this jumper to the alternate position. Then move it back to its original position. This should clear the CMOS.

If that doesn't work, power down the computer and remove the CMOS battery. It's that vertical metal disk next to the SATA connectors. Then put the battery back in and turn the computer on.

If that doesn't work, get another computer and make a BIOS-flashing floppy disk for your motherboard and try to flash the BIOS. The files and instructions should be available at the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

If that doesn't work, get a new mobo. See if the one you have is under warranty.
  • Tried both jumpers and removing the battery. Not sure how much help a bios flashing disk would be as I don't think it got far enough to boot from the floppy disc. In the end, the person I was working for decided they would rather just get a new computer.
  • edited October 2009
    That chip you see at the top of the MB next to the RAM slots is the BIOS. In theory you can remove it and replace/reflash it. In practice I found the thing bloody hard to remove and I broke the socket by trying to force the issue. The MB I tried this on was fried, so be really careful.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Unfortunately, the BIOS was soldered on.
    I missed that, my apologies.
    Wow. Worst idea ever on to manufacturer's part. Despite the ability of sockets to wear out and sometimes damage pins, on a device with as much available space as a mobo and with a single component that determines the entire ability of the device to function, there's no excuse to not have a socket for that component. It's like making a recessed light with the bulb soldered in.
  • So, I have a little question about my desktop.

It was sitting in a closet for about 6 months at my mom's house, and I recently got it back and plugged it in. When I tried to boot up, I got the infamous GRUB error 17. Checking the BIOS, I found that it wasn't recognizing my primary hard drive. So I opened it up to take a look.

I cleaned the inside (dust had, shall we say, accumulated), and made sure all the sata cables were plugged in (they had been loose). After putting it back together and plugging it in again, I found that now it won't display anything. I checked to make sure the video card was properly connected (and power was running to it), but I still can't see any display. It's booting up properly, and there are no warning lights/sounds/beeps. Any ideas?
  • So, I have a little question about my desktop.

It was sitting in a closet for about 6 months at my mom's house, and I recently got it back and plugged it in. When I tried to boot up, I got the infamous GRUB error 17. Checking the BIOS, I found that it wasn't recognizing my primary hard drive. So I opened it up to take a look.

I cleaned the inside (dust had, shall we say, accumulated), and made sure all the sata cables were plugged in (they had been loose). After putting it back together and plugging it in again, I found that now it won't display anything. I checked to make sure the video card was properly connected (and power was running to it), but I still can't see any display. It's booting up properly, and there are no warning lights/sounds/beeps. Any ideas?
    I'm sorry, but is the monitor plugged in? If so, have you tried turning on the monitor first? Are the cables plugged in correctly and tightly on the monitor side?
  • Yeah, monitor is working fine. And yes, the dvi cable is connected. Let me check when I get home, but you're probably right in assuming that I've overlooked something really basic.
  • Yeah, monitor is working fine. And yes, the dvi cable is connected. Let me check when I get home, but you're probably right in assuming that I've overlooked something really basic.
    I once had forgotten to turn on the power switch on the monitor. Did I feel stupid for staring back and forth for those 10 minutes.
  • Ok, I came home, opened it up, took out the graphics card, and replaced it. I made sure everything was connected. Still no dice. Could I have accidentally fried it? The fan on the card is working fine, it's just not sending a signal to my monitor.

Related: Anyone in the Rochester area have a spare PCI-E graphics card they could lend me for a few days, so I can troubleshoot and make sure nothing else is wrong with my computer?
  • edited October 2009
    Unfortunately, the BIOS was soldered on.
    You could still desolder it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, I came home, opened it up, took out the graphics card, and replaced it. I made sure everything was connected. Still no dice. Could I have accidentally fried it? The fan on the card is working fine, it's just not sending a signal to my monitor.

Related: Anyone in the Rochester area have a spare PCI-E graphics card they could lend me for a few days, so I can troubleshoot and make sure nothing else is wrong with my computer?
    Did you try hooking up the monitor to the integrated graphics card (if there is one)?
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Did you try hooking up the monitor to the integrated graphics card (if there is one)?
    Unfortunately, I opted for a mobo without an integrated graphics chip.
  • Has anybody had any experience with DriveImage XML?

My specific query is when creating the image files - using the backup option - do I need an empty destination drive? I've watched the Youtube demonstration video they provide, and that clearly shows an external drive being selected as the destination for the image files. This drive already has some folders in it already, and later in the video when they show the created image files in said drive, the folders are still there. Which is good and what I want.

Basically I'm worried that it may wipe the external hard drive I want to create the image files to, as opposed to just creating the new files there alongside my old files.
  • Basically I'm worried that it may wipe the external hard drive I want to create the image files to, as opposed to just creating the new files there alongside my old files.
    I've never heard of this software, so I have no idea. However, the solution to your problem is to go get a cheapo USB stick or tiny crap SD card. Try it out, see how it goes.
  • Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do. Thanks.
  • edited November 2009
    Here's one that's got me stumped:
    XP desktop which seems to think that all of it's ports are USB1.1 even though I added a USB 2 PCI card. The knock-on effect of this is that whenever I try to connect with a wireless dongle, it cuts out and acts as though it's been disconnected; Sometimes for good, sometimes acting as though the USB device is being repeatedly re-inserted.

It has, in the past, worked and connected to the internet but now, just can't get connected. Really odd.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • sometimes acting as though the USB device is being repeatedly re-inserted.
    Bow chicha bow wow.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure that XP Home = green load bar and XP Pro = blue load bar, right? It's just that I've got a laptop that doesn't get much past the boot screen and has a blue load bar but a Windows Home Ed serial sticker on the bottom and I need to know which repair disc to use.

Edit: After some digging around on Wikipedia, it turns out that, post SP2, all versions of XP use the blue bar.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • My computer seems to be at 44% load, even though the sum of all the CPU% in my task manager is 5. Any ideas as to why I'm taking such a huge performance hit?
  • My computer seems to be at 44% load, even though the sum of all the CPU% in my task manager is 5. Any ideas as to why I'm taking such a huge performance hit?
    DO you have spyware/viruses? Does your computer just suck? Are you actually noticing your computer not working properly, or maybe you are just paying too much attention to numbers? Just ignore those numbers, and everything will be fine.
  • edited December 2009
    Okay, so a while back we determined that my computer ceased to admit that I had a DVDRW and CDRW drives because of a bad IDE ribbon cable. I purchased a new one back then and it fixed the issue. However, now the same thing is happening again. The BIOS sais I have 1 Primary master, and 1 Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. Drives open on button press. I changed out the cable with SEVERAL different IDE cables that Scrym gave me (including that one that has all the wires exposed that Rym said was cool because it had wires exposed) and none of them seem to solve the problem. I have about four more IDE ribbon cables to try, but I have a sinking feeling that it may be another issue.

In the device manager, I'm getting the yellow " !" for the following:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B
    IX1014P CTE542Q SCSI CdRom Device
    LITE-ON LTR-48246S
    SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

From the BIOS:
    Primary IDE Controller: Maxtor 6Y200P0
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary IDE Master: HL-DT-ST DVDRam GMA-
    Secondary Slave: Lite-On LtR-48246S

Everything is set on auto detect.

EDIT: I should point out that the drives eject properly when I push the button, and both have power.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • CD-Rom Problems
    Have you tried using the drive in another system? How about just by itself in your computer, or switching it with the Maxtor on the cable? Have you tried changing the jumpers anyway, just to see if it makes a difference?

Honestly, a CD/DVD-rom drive that does everything you would need is like $30, so if nothing works, it's not much of a loss.
  • My worry is not that the drives themselves are not working, which would be weird to have both suddenly stop working simultaneously, but that there is something wrong with the motherboard. I guess I can try connecting one drive at a time to the motherboard and unplugging the power from each to test them separately, but I have a feeling it's not going to work.
  • Have you tried using the drive in another system? How about just by itself in your computer, or switching it with the Maxtor on the cable? Have you tried changing the jumpers anyway, just to see if it makes a difference?

Honestly, a CD/DVD-rom drive that does everything you would need is like $30, so if nothing works, it's not much of a loss.
    Could also be that the IDE controller on the motherboard is broken, or the driver is wrong in Windows. The fact that the BIOS reports the correct device names leads me to believe it might be a software issue. Put in an Ubuntu LiveCD, and see if the drives work. If they do, then it's not a hardware problem
  • edited December 2009
    Put in an Ubuntu LiveCD, and see if the drives work. If they do, then it's not a hardware problem
    You mean boot from an Ubuntu Live CD? That would be difficult...seeing as I can not do that if the drives are not working.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • the drives are not working in Windows.
    FTFY. Apreche is trying to say that most likely there's nothing wrong with the drives, ergo, easiest way to test is to just put a Live CD in there and see if you can boot it up. If so, drives are fine, Windows is just screwed.
  • You mean boot from an Ubuntu Live CD? That would be difficult...seeing as I can not do that if the drives are not working.
    You don't know that until you try.