This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Found Sam Adams Oktoberfest today. Oktoberfest is upon us bitches!
  • Picked up Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It's a bit to...gimmicky for my tastes. Is there any decent pumpkin ale around?
  • Picked up Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It's a bit to...gimmicky for my tastes. Is there any decent pumpkin ale around?
    Dogfish Head does good Punkin Ale. All of them I've tried need a bit more brown sugar for my taste though.
  • edited August 2011
    They're out of season, too, aren't they? Southern Tier's Pumking Ale is godlike, as I recall.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Dogfish Head does good Punkin Ale. All of them I've tried need a bit more brown sugar for my taste though.
    I back up Dogfish Head's Pumpkin Ale. Top the head with some Pumpkin Pie Spice? Wonderful.
  • Pete made me beer and didn't fail this time! This beer is awesome!
  • edited September 2011
    Pete made me beer and didn't fail this time! This beer is awesome!
    Thanks! Glad you like it.

I tried my latest incarnation of Bitter Black Existence last night, with Rym and Emily and folks. It's pretty good! Still a little more oaky than I wanted, but that can mellow out. Definitely needs to chill overnight to settle out all the yeast, and it should be served around 55 - 60 F for optimal flavor. About 20 minutes out of the fridge should do it. Next time, though, I'm going with a fruitier-tasting Belgian yeast; this guy got mostly drowned out by roasty flavors.

So at least one forumite has requested a beer recipe of mine. This is what I concocted as a prospective saison recipe, though I've yet to actually brew it. I think that'll be my next project: a good sturdy saison that could be drunk at almost any time of year.

I came up with the recipe after reading over roughly 2 dozen other saison recipes and picking up on some common elements, as well as adding my own touches here and there. So for anyone who's doing all-grain, try it and let me know how it works!

Batch Size: 10 Gallons
    Grain Bill
    14 # pilsner malt (use Belgian malt for authenticity/pretention, or cheapass Canadian pilsner malt because it's fucking cheap - me, I lean cheap)
    2 # wheat malt (plain ol' malted wheat)
    2 # rye malt (mmmmm...rye)
    2 # Munich malt (for a rich toasty flavor)
    2 # CaraMunich 60 (for color and delicious caramel notes)
    1 # candi/white sugar (for extra alcohol and that characteristic Belgian "hotness")

Color: 10.5 SRM
    SG (est, 80% BHE): 1.065
    Boil Time: 90 minutes

Water Schedule:
    Strike: 7.25 gallons
    1st running (est): 4.5 gallons
    1st sparge: 4.5 gallons
    2nd sparge: 4.5 gallons
    -note: may want to go with smaller boil volume to prevent boilover

Hop Schedule
    @60 minutes: 4 oz Styrian Golding
    @20 minutes: 3 oz Saaz
    @flameout: 1 oz Saaz

IBU: 35.9

EDIT: Ferment with a saison yeast. Make sure it's a hot ferment.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Thanks man. I haven't tried that bottle you left me yet, I have to cook something bloody to go along with it. If i can figure out how to maintain a high enough temp I'll do that saison this month, but of course the weather turned and now my attic is at a chilly 68F. Go figure.
  • Allagash White, y u so good?
  • If there was ever a beer made expressly for me to buy it, it's this one:

On top of that awesomeness, it's pretty damn tasty.
    I <3 Nukey brown and werewolf.
  • Shiner beers are pretty good. Outside of the Alt I have not found one I dislike.
    I <3 Nukey brown and werewolf.</p>
    Welp, I know what I'm buying and drinking a case of the moment I get off that plane in 10 days.
  • edited September 2011
    Welp, I know what I'm buying and drinking a case of the moment I get off that plane in 10 days.
    Newcastle brown, it's good shit. Also, anything from Black Sheep Breweries is pretty ace. I know a good specialty beer and spirits store, I'll see if they deliver to geordieland.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • what's with the fake picture though?
  • what's with the fake picture though?

Better?
  • edited September 2011
    Woodchuck's pumpkin cider isn't nearly as magical as I wanted it to be. Still good though.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited September 2011
    The pub down the way is a Real Ale pub. Four hand-pumped cask ales on tap at any given time. My group and I might make it a regular hangout.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The pub down the way is a Real Ale pub. Four hand-pumped cask ales on tap at any given time. My group and I might make it a regular hangout.
    Gotta get some Old Hobgoblin in you, it's pretty good.

Also, there's a great pub in Hull and a beer shop in leeds I should direct you to, both most excellent.
  • Oh mans! Much excite. Atlanta based Wile Heaven announced a new beer.

It's amazing having one of the best new breweries in the country essentially right around the corner. Kegs reach Atlanta this week!
  • I was chatting to WUB the other day, and I worked out - I can make 20 liters of home-brew for about 10 bucks, assuming I already have the equipment. Not bad.
  • I can make 20 liters of home-brew for about 10 bucks
    Yes, it's actually an economical hobby, if you remember to keep it that way.

Of course, once you start, the tendency is to remove all sense of economy from it and make ridiculous stuff.
  • Gotta get some Old Hobgoblin in you, it's pretty good.
    Tried this shit at a pub the other day. Pretty boss.
  • Yes, it's actually an economical hobby, if you remember to keep it that way.
    Oh, that's pretty easy - Those cans I've linked a picture of before, the Coopers Brew-cans? They're ten bucks a pop, and have everything you need ingredients wise to make 20 liters per can. Considering a carton of beer here - 24 bottles - is usually about $25-30 bucks for the basic stuff, it's wildly economical - You're making 40 litres of beer per cheapest carton, nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, if you want to get serious about it, it can run you up a fair old bill, but just to get into it, and to make beer from the brew-cans, for $115 bucks, you've got everything you need to start brewing pretty good beer.
    Tried this shit at a pub the other day. Pretty boss.
    I was introduced to it by a friend of the Ex, Samba, he loves the stuff. It's pretty ace.
  • I've never spent less than 80 dollars at the homebrew supply store, personally.
  • Coopers Brew-cans
    Grip dat grain, nigga.
  • I want a Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest....
  • Read this in an article today. I believe this needs to be researched further.
    A guy with a serious beard suggested I try [Duck Rabbit Milk Stout]. When a guy with a serious beard recommends you try a beer, you listen. When you listen to a guy with a serious beard recommend a beer, you end up having one of the best beers you've ever had in your life and wish that you were capable of growing a serious beard so that you could recommend awesome beers to people and have them listen . . . and learn.