This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• I'm just saying, if that is possible then anything is possible. Strawberry cheesecake beer?
  • Scott, don't talk about beer. You are like a guy who talks about books but doesn't know how to read.
  • I'm just saying, if that is possible then anything is possible. Strawberry cheesecake beer?
    Strawberry should be very doable. Cheesecake... a lot of that flavor comes from the fats I think? You can probably still do something, I'm just not sure if it would taste like cheesecake.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm just saying, if that is possible then anything is possible. Strawberry cheesecake beer?
    It's not actually made of banana bread, Scott. They use ingredients to create a flavor profile reminiscent of banana bread. The banana flavor, for example, is produced entirely by the yeast strain used. Brown sugar and some spices, along with caramel malts and a bready base malt (maybe some biscuit or other toasted malt) will create a sweet, rich, bread-like flavor base.

But actually, I could ferment banana bread. I mean, I fermented Snickers and pretzels. Yes, anything is possible.
    I'm just saying, if that is possible then anything is possible. Strawberry cheesecake beer?
    This would be inadvisable, because the dairy fat doesn't play well with fermentation.

Maybe a strawberry chocolate milk stout. Hmm.....
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'll just eat some actual banana bread I think.
  • Banana Bread icecream cone?
  • This conversation reminds me of when a bartender told me to mix Lindemans Lambic Framboise with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Once we got the proportions right it tasted like chocolate covered raspberries, it was pretty awesome. I really like Lambic beers, although I am still trying to find a pure Lambic as I want to see how an uncarbonated beer tastes.
  • This conversation reminds me of when a bartender told me to mix Lindemans Lambic Framboise with some Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Once we got the proportions right it tasted like chocolate covered raspberries, it was pretty awesome. I really like Lambic beers, although I am still trying to find a pure Lambic as I want to see how an uncarbonated beer tastes.
    Bizarre, I've found. Even lightly-carbonated beers taste radically different than completely flat beers. I think the effervescence sort of enhances the effect of certain volatile flavor compounds.

• Bizarre, I've found. Even lightly-carbonated beers taste radically different than completely flat beers. I think the effervescence sort of enhances the effect of certain volatile flavor compounds.
    That is what I have heard but it seems that finding that in the US is hard to impossible.
  • Bizarre, I've found. Even lightly-carbonated beers taste radically different than completely flat beers. I think the effervescence sort of enhances the effect of certain volatile flavor compounds.
    That is what I have heard but it seems that finding that in the US is hard to impossible.
    Get an English bitter, pour it into a pint, and let it hit room temperature. Then chill it down to drinking temperature again. Residual CO2 is minimal at warmer temperatures.

You can also de-gas a beer by passing it back and forth between pint glasses several times.

• If you are cooling down British ale to drink it, you are drinking it wrong.
  • If you are cooling down British ale to drink it, you are drinking it wrong.
    Yes, I know, a bitter should be served at 85 degrees pulled from a beer engine in a pub that's smaller than a broom closet.

I mean that you want to cool it back to like 65 degrees or so.

• Get an English bitter, pour it into a pint, and let it hit room temperature. Then chill it down to drinking temperature again. Residual CO2 is minimal at warmer temperatures.

You can also de-gas a beer by passing it back and forth between pint glasses several times.

Haha, I actually more specifically meant finding a pure Lambic. I have actually found a few low-carbonation or uncarbonated beers, just not the kind I was looking for. The only reason I did not try one of those was that every time I thought about getting it, which was at a bar in St. Augustine Florida, the bartender there advised against them. When a bartender tells me not to try a beer, especially that one, I listen.
  • Oof, I hope you like sour, then.
  • Enjoying a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen tonight. It was on sale at my local grocer. It's pretty nice. :)
  • This opens a week before I get back from spring break. So for two months, this will be my daily hangout and study spot.

BrewDog Pub, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

• Had my first lambic yesterday. Me likey.
  • Had my first lambic yesterday. Me likey.
    They are quite awesome.
  • I turn 21 in less than two weeks, so now I can actually get myself the good shit. Aw yeaa.
  • I've never had actual regular bud light, but Bud Light Platinum actually isn't half bad. At least compared to the shit I'm used to drinking.
  • I've never had actual regular bud light, but Bud Light Platinum actually isn't half bad. At least compared to the shit I'm used to drinking.
    I was forced to drink one too for a D&D Campaign. Not as awful as imagined.

But I've been enjoying a lot of great beer lately. New Belgian has really been popping up lately, and I had their Cocoa Mole beer. I'm going to have to store some up, because that's going to be a wonderful ale for winter. It's smooth and has a literal heart-warming feeling to it. The cocoa and chili flavors are nicely subtle.
  • edited March 2012
    Munich is an excellent beer city. I'd had over two liters of assorted Augustiner by 10pm, half of that in a 1L stein, with the beer coming from a wood cask at the brewery beerhall. Perfect.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I finally got around to trying Samuel Adams Cream Stout as well as their Thirteenth Hour. The Cream Stout was quite good but I love the Thirteenth Hour. It was not quite what I was expecting, which was a good thing. To add a non-beer drinkers perspective, my wife tried both and she said she could drink the Cream Stout, even saying it may be something she liked if it was cooler (I had just put it in the fridge), but she completely disliked the Thirteenth Hour, although she did mention that the after taste was quite amazing.
  • Where might one procure such dark magicks?
  • Found it at Total Wine and was compelled to buy it.
  • Wow that is truly sorcery in a bottle.
  • Went to a new pub in my college town, for their all-you-can-eat mussels night and to give some of their beers a try. Over 80 beers on tap, including St. Bernardus and World Wide Stout, and samples are only a quarter.

St. Bernardus was god-like...WWS will be next.
  • St. Bernardus was god-like...WWS will be next.
    Which number St. B?