This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone OS 3.0

edited March 2009 in Technology
It's coming! Is this going to be an explosion of copy/pasta? Will it allow apps with pushing? Apps running in the background? Will it make all the features of the pre look like poop? Or maybe it will just be the next disappointment from Apple.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I wouldn't expect everything you wanted and more. Apple will probably add a couple of things grudgingly.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Copy/pasta? I'm sure there must be a pasta app for the iPhone by now!

What I've been following is the sudden appearance of some companies that want to compete with Apple on apps. You probably know more about that than I do since I don't even own an iPhone.
  • Copy/pasta? I'm sure there must be a pasta app for the iPhone by now!

What I've been following is the sudden appearance of some companies that want to compete with Apple on apps. You probably know more about that than I do since I don't even own an iPhone.
    You can't run two apps at the same time. You can't go to your mail app, then start up your 'copy app' without first exiting your mail app.
  • Aren't background apps the reason the G1's battery life is so poor?
  • My prediction, poop.
  • My prediction, poop.
    My prediction, nothing special.
  • My prediction, nothing special.
    My prediction, podcasts done friggin RIGHT!
  • edited March 2009

Better pic:
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
    Ok, I just want to point something out here.

None of those things on that list require a change in hardware in the iPhone 3G. A firmware and software update could provide everything on that list, and more. There is no technological limitation preventing the phone from having all those features. It's not like with other technologies, like say eBook readers, where we actually don't have sufficient technology to create a better experience. There is no reason the phone can't do all those things other than for the Apple or the carrier's reluctance to give customers what they want.

Imagine if at one o'clock today they announce everything on that list. Every single thing. It's game over. Palm will go out of business. Every other smartphone will die, with Blackberry temporarily keeping some of the corporate market, but eventually dying. All Apple has to do is write the software. It's that simple. It would be an instant monopoly. So you have to ask yourself, why don't they do it? Are they stupid? What the fuck?

By missing out on any item on the list, they leave room for Palm, or someone else, to come in for the kill. By not fulfilling the potential of the technology, you leave a huge gaping hole in your defenses for the competition to destroy you. Yet, despite this, none of the manufacturers or carriers have done so. It would be as trivial as hiring some developers and waiting a couple months to completely dominate the market. I mean, jailbreakers are doing it for free, professionals should certainly be able to do it.

This fact really makes me think that there might be illegal collusion in the mobile computing industry. When there is an obvious, simple, and easy course of action to achieve complete market dominance, and nobody takes it, what other explanation can there be?
  • edited March 2009
    I had an image of Steve jobs decending from the ceiling at the press conference and the screen displaying: "And one more thing. GAME OVER, MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Isn't Bluetooth a hardware upgrade?
  • I think Android is trying, but all those things just kill the battery dead. I have a good friend with a G1 phone and it hardly makes it through the day. Another friend has an iPhone and charges it every three days. I'm thinking about getting an iPhone this year myself (I got myself a Touch to test out the concept) so I asked him about these points. Turns out he doesn't miss any of the above features. So far, using the Touch for a month or so, I've not missed any of the above features either.

Apple is doing all it needs to to keep selling phones. As soon as other bring out killer apps, Apple will release the same.

Either way, just wait a few hours and we won't need to wonder.
  • edited March 2009
    Cellular and wireless

* UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    * GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    * Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    * Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Seriously.. all you can do is use wireless headphones?

@Luke B.: Has anyone done tests on jailbroken iPhones? To the Google!
  • Isn't Bluetooth a hardware upgrade?
    No. The iPhone has a bluetooth chip and transmitter in it, and thus the hardware is capable of doing anything that Bluetooth can do. However, Bluetooth requires profiles for each bit of functionality. For example, if you want to use Bluetooth to use wireless stereo headphones, you need the A2DP profile. If you want to use Bluetooth to transfer files, you need an FTP profile. If you want to tether your laptop over bluetooth you need a bluetooth modem profile. Apple could install every single Bluetooth profile in the world on the phone. Instead, they only choose to install one that is used for wireless earpieces.
  • edited March 2009
    Imagine if at one o'clock today they announce everything on that list. Every single thing. It's game over. Palm will go out of business. Every other smartphone will die, with Blackberry temporarily keeping some of the corporate market, but eventually dying. All Apple has to do is write the software. It's that simple. It would be an instant monopoly.
    This is wrong, but only because of carrier limitations. I can't get an iPhone without breaking my two year and having horribly shitty service everywhere near me. I would gladly break the two year, but it's not worth it, no matter how good the phone is, because with poor service, it's not even a phone anymore.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • So you have to ask yourself, why don't they do it? Are they stupid? What the fuck?
    Actually, I can think of a possible reason. In fact, You gave it right in your own post.
    It would be an instant monopoly.
    I'm not an expert, but doesn't the US have laws against this? Remember "United States Vs Microsoft" in 2000? Apple might be equal in bastardry with Microsoft, but they're not stupid enough to repeat the same mistakes.
  • I'm not an expert, but doesn't the US have laws against this? Remember "United States Vs Microsoft" in 2000? Apple might be equal in bastardry with Microsoft, but they're not stupid enough to repeat the same mistakes.
    It's not illegal to be a monpoly. It's only illegal to use a monopoly in certain ways. Look at YKK. They have a monopoly on zippers, but they haven't broken any law.

I just looked through the engadget live blog and I reckon 3.0 gets about 60 or 70 points.
  • Scott, you also forget that even if a product on the market is of lesser quality, if it is significantly cheaper, it can still threaten the superior product and their high costs.
  • edited March 2009
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking Pinky?
    What's that Brain?
    Japanese Android phones: 5MP video cameras, big screens and nice big buttons.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, it looks like a lot of stuff is being added, more than I expected anyway.

Stereo Bluetooth
    Copy and Paste
    Landscape Keyboard everywhere
    MMS

Other Notes:

Quotes from the MacWorld blog

"USA Today asking about Flash. Phil says there are no announcements on that topic today. Scott says if people put video in HTML5, it's supported, with certain encodings, like H.264. Also HTTP streaming for audio and video, codecs and chunking support. They think that's a lot of great video solutions available. ESPN, for example, using the new HTTP streaming APIs."

"Nikkei Electronics: The peer-to-peer. Over Bluetooth and other connections? Scott: The API is about device-to-device via Bluetooth and Bonjour to make IP connection between two devices. But it's separate from devices. Accessory makers can talk to accessories over Bluetooth. Accessories are limited to Made for iPod/iPhone accessories."

"Tim Bajarin: What about tethering (sharing internet connection from phone to computer)? There's two pieces needed for that: client-side needs to support tethering; second is working with carriers. We are absolutely supporting tethering on client side on iPhone. Also working with carriers around the world, and it is coming."

"Bluetooth hardware profile? External keyboad? Nothing to announce for 3.0.".

Edit: Also, "MMS on first-generation on iPhone? Is there a physical hardware problem that prevents it? It's a different radio, so there is a hardware issue."
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited March 2009
    It's not illegal to be a monpoly. It's only illegal to use a monopoly in certain ways. Look at YKK. They have a monopoly on zippers, but they haven't broken any law.
    They're also a Japanese Based company, not a US based company, and at best, only a fraction of the company is bound by US law. On top of that, they have broken laws before - They were fined somewhere in the order of 150 million euros by the European Commission for "Cartel Behavior", which is as far as I can tell after wading through a thick fog of legalese, a charge that is not terribly dissimilar.

For Apple to force out it's competitors in such a fashion would probably be seen as a pretty dodgy step in the direction of illegal monopolistic behavior, and I believe that after the precedent set by "United States Vs Microsoft", and what it cost Microsoft both in terms of money and PR, they would rather play it safe rather than risk it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My prediction, poop.
    My prediction was poop. They came out with better than poop for a pre-release after all.
  • It's supposed to be out today. But it's not out yet.
  • It's supposed to be out today. But it's not out yet.
    Engadget says 1:00PM Eastern, which is in five minutes.
  • I'm 50/50 on the iPhone 3GS or the Pre. I really need a metric to use to make a decision.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm 50/50 on the iPhone 3GS or the Pre. I really need a metric to use to make a decision.
    I'm pretty sure you can return either one within 30 days. Also, The HTC Magic, aka G2, aka T-Mobile myTouch 3G will be out soonish as well.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Downloading 3.0 now...
  • I'm pretty sure you can return either one within 30 days.
    Yes, but the providers are mutually exclusive. I can return the phone, and it would all work out in the end, but imagine the hell of this scenario:

1. Buy Pre, switch to Sprint, port my current Verizon number
    2. Decide to return Pre, get iPhone
    3. Buy iPhone, switch to AT&T;, port my original Verizon number by way of Sprint to AT&T;

I foresee several days of not having a phone number, and the small possibility of losing it altogether.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, but the providers are mutually exclusive. I can return the phone, and it would all work out in the end, but imagine the hell of this scenario:

1. Buy Pre, switch to Sprint, port my current Verizon number
    2. Decide to return Pre, get iPhone
    3. Buy iPhone, switch to AT&T;, port my original Verizon number by way of Sprint to AT&T;

I foresee several days of not having a phone number, and the small possibility of losing it altogether.
    You've got the wrong strategy. Here's what you do.

1) Get iPhone from AT&T; with new number
    2) Get Pre from Sprint with new number
    3) Get G1/G2 from T-Mobile with new number
    4) Use all three side by side until you decide what's what.
    5) Return all three phones on time so no money is lost.
    6) Re-buy the phone you want, and transfer your number over for reals.

Just make sure of those return policies for reals. Otherwise, you could be in deep doo doo.
    Post edited by Apreche on