This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's the weirdest food you've eaten?

Comments

• Semen isn't a food.
    I guess it depends on the person who is eating the semen, and what their living situation is like.
    In order for it to be a food, the person must be consuming it for the means of nutrition. I seriously doubt that many people have done that.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    Yes it is.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    I guess it depends on the person who is eating the semen, and what their living situation is like.
    In order for it to be a food, the person must be consuming it for the means of nutrition. I seriously doubt that many people have done that.
    People don't eat chocolate for nutrition, they do it because they like it, not for nutrition, same can be said for semen, if someone likes to eat it just because, its still food.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    Yes it is.
    I was hoping someone wouldn't post that.
  • Semen isn't a food.
    Intent means little. I can accidentally swallow a bug. It will still be broken down and used for energy and nutrition.
  • edited April 2009
    People don't eat chocolate for nutrition, they do it because they like it, not for nutrition, same can be said for semen, if someone likes to eat it just because, its still food.
    People have eaten chocolate to stop being hungry. No one has eaten semen to fill themselves up.
    Intent means little. I can accidentally swallow a bug. It will still be broken down and used for energy and nutrition.
    Wood and paper are foods then? Wool? This can be said for pretty much any organic material.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Intent means little. I can accidentally swallow a bug. It will still be broken down and used for energy and nutrition.
    Wood and paper are foods then?
    Who accidentally consumes wood or paper. More to the point, who accidentally consumes semen?
  • Intent means little. I can accidentally swallow a bug. It will still be broken down and used for energy and nutrition.
    Who accidentally consumes wood or paper. More to the point, who accidentally consumes semen?
    Case and point, intention has everything to do with it.
  • edited April 2009
    Not at all. How does that make your case? If someone consumes something and their body breaks it down for nutritional value, then it is food.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited April 2009
    Not at all. How does that make your case? If someone consumes something and their body breaks it down for nutritional value, then it is food.
    It sounded like you were saying that wood or paper was not food because no one accidentally consumes them. But if that's your definition, then anything carbon, protein, lipid, or mineral-based is food. I just don't think semen was ever meant to be life-sustaining.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2009
    I propose a concession be made. Edible things come in three tiers: Foods, pseudofoods, and objects of the edible variety. Foods can be classed as things like steak, which are, for all intents and purposes, MADE to be eaten, and are wholesome. Pseudofoods are things like Funyuns, which should never be eaten by a sane (or, at the very least, sober) human being for any reason, but will on occasion serve to fulfill the desires of aforementioned sane/sober people in spite of their unfoodness. OotEVs are things like mulch and wool: in theory you could eat them, but chances are you never will.

I propose that semen is a pseudofood, in that people sometimes ingest it to satisfy desires, but you shouldn't consume it regularly1, nor is it MADE for ingestion.

Objections?

1Regularly being defined as 3 times a day, as an entree-sized portion
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2009
    I concur.

And how could I argue with that? I mean, it's even got a footnote.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2009

1Regularly being defined as 3 times a day, as an entree-sized portion
    You know, I was making a joke... you took it to a level that scares me a bit. ^_^
  • entree-sized portion
    Now, hold on a second. Are we talking a haute cuisine entree? I mean, those portions are really small. Or are we talking like Texas BBQ joint sized entree, where one platter is enough for like 3 people?

And the thought of an entree-sized quantity of semen is mildly revolting.
  • People don't eat chocolate for nutrition, they do it because they like it, not for nutrition, same can be said for semen, if someone likes to eat it just because, its still food.
    People have eaten chocolate to stop being hungry. No one has eaten semen to fill themselves up.
    Do you have proof of that? and are you saying that chocolate turns to food only when people eat it to stop being hungry? what is it called then when it's not used for that purpose?
  • edited April 2009
    Do you have proof of that?
    You can't prove a negative. Do you have proof that people do consume semen as sustenance? Though, I'm not sure I really want to hear about such evidence, I just ate :p
    and are you saying that chocolate turns to food only when people eat it to stop being hungry?
    Of course not. Where did I say that? Chocolate is food because, being a bean, it is a normal source of nutrition for animals. Although, this does bring up an interesting argument for the semen side. Beans and seeds are ultimately tools for reproduction for plants, but other animals eat them. It may be analogous to say that semen is as much a reproductive tool as an apple and therefore could be classified as food.
    what is it called then when it's not used for that purpose?
    WindUpBird does.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This is the most extensive and intellectual discussion involving semen that I have ever seen. I applaud you, FRC forums.
  • Now, hold on a second. Are we talking a haute cuisine entree? I mean, those portions are really small. Or are we talking like Texas BBQ joint sized entree, where one platter is enough for like 3 people?
    I was thinking a little bigger than haute cuisine, sort of like a single-person sized serving of flan.
  • edited April 2009
    Now, hold on a second. Are we talking a haute cuisine entree? I mean, those portions are really small. Or are we talking like Texas BBQ joint sized entree, where one platter is enough for like 3 people?
    I was thinking a little bigger than haute cuisine, sort of like a single-person sized serving of flan.
    Wow... my joke made in bad taste has somehow lead to me now being put off flan. What did I do?
  • Semen isn't a food.
    Yes it is.
    What?
    FirefoxScreenSnapz001
  • edited April 2009
    This is not weird for me but it might be weird for some of you guys specially because it looks like this
    Ok, I was writing on the Fast Karate for the Gentlemen's forum and it came to my knowledge that many people do not know about Cherimoya (in Spanish is Chirimoya). I will just quote Mark Twain and say that cherimoya is "deliciousness itself!" and another person described it as the flavor gold should have, but I would say platinum is a better analogy. I remember eating it almost everyday back when I was a kid during the summer in Peru. I would recommend to at least give it a try. It is grown only in California and I have only found one place that sells them. They are also known as custard apple (but once I saw a picture of a custard apple they look different, I do not know about the taste).

Also, they are kind of expensive in the states, but not in Peru :P
    Also, don't eat the skin because is very bitter.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited April 2009
    Man, that thing sounds awesome. I've lived in California my whole life, and I've never seen one.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I've lived in California my whole life, and I've never seen one.
  • I will just quote Mark Twain and say that cherimoya is "deliciousness itself!
    It is! I bought one because it looked like a magical dragon fruit from an RPG, and it tasted so good. I think Rym mentioned it on the show.
  • Wierd, I didn't know that it was hard to get custard apples in America. In Australia - at least, in Queensland - you can buy them at pretty much any supermarket. I know of at least 4 or 5 people back home who have custard apple trees in their backyards.
  • edited April 2009
    Wierd, I didn't know that it was hard to get custard apples in America. In Australia - at least, in Queensland - you can buy them at pretty much any supermarket. I know of at least 4 or 5 people back home who have custard apple trees in their backyards.
    The Annona squamosa is different from the Annona cherimola, well at least genetically. Also the Annona squamosa is like this:
    But, if you live in South America is very easy to find. The Apple Custard grow at lower elevation. Also, I do not know how good it tastes.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • We purchased a cherimoya last year and tried it. Maybe it wasn't a good piece of fruit, but it tasted rotten while looking fresh based on the standards listed at the grocery store. It was terrible.
  • We purchased a cherimoya last year and tried it. Maybe it wasn't a good piece of fruit, but it tasted rotten while looking fresh based on the standards listed at the grocery store. It was terrible.
    My mom had the same experience. She saw cherimoyas at out local international food market here in Virginia and even though they looked okay outside she didn't buy them. However, because I didn't know better I went back and I bought one (I think that was 5 years since the last time I ate one) and it was horrible :( . Picking up cherimoyas is similar to picking up avocados.
  • The Annonasquamosais different from the Annonacherimola, well at least genetically. Also the Annona squamosa is like this:
    Well, the fruit I'm talking about looks exactly like the Cherimola, but fair enough.
  • The Annonasquamosais different from the Annonacherimola, well at least genetically. Also the Annona squamosa is like this:
    Well, the fruit I'm talking about looks exactly like the Cherimola, but fair enough.
    Could it be Guanabana?