This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I have a box of Irish Soda Bread mix that I was oging to bake this weekend. Alas, out went our power and with it, the igniter for the stove.
  • I have a box of Irish Soda Bread mix that I was oging to bake this weekend. Alas, out went our power and with it, the igniter for the stove.
    If you have a gas oven, can't you just grab a box of those long kitchen matches and light it that way?
    If you have a gas oven, can't you just grab a box of those long kitchen matches and light it that way?
    We thought so, but apparently not. we have a long lighter, so we were using that. No gas was coming out of the holes along the burner... we think the place where it ignites is tucked away somewhere, because we couldn't get anything to light.
  • We thought so, but apparently not. we have a long lighter, so we were using that. No gas was coming out of the holes along the burner... we think the place where it ignites is tucked away somewhere, because we couldn't get anything to light.
    That's really weird, I didn't expect that.
  • We thought so, but apparently not. we have a long lighter, so we were using that. No gas was coming out of the holes along the burner... we think the place where it ignites is tucked away somewhere, because we couldn't get anything to light.
    A lot of burners have electronic safety cutoffs so people don't leave their stoves on when it doesn't light during a power outage.

Braised cabbage and smoked sausage with deli mustard and vinegar.
    Quick, easy, and tasty.
    That's really weird, I didn't expect that.
    We didn't either. We planned to bake to heat the house. Good thing we checked to see if it would light before pulling everything out of the fridge. It's probably got some kind of cutoff thing like George said. The stove was working fine.
    Tomato/Squash soup
  • We're leaving For A Week Everything Perishable Must Go Stew!

• We're leaving For A Week Everything Perishable Must Go Stew!
    Looks awesome, specially with a big scoop of jasmin rice or some rustic bread (gluten free one in your case :D).
  • We were going to make rice, but we were too hungry. Plus, there are potatoes in it, so there was plenty of starch. It's stewed in portobello mushroom soup and a middling Merlot. Serious yum!
  • We were going to make rice, but we were too hungry. Plus, there are potatoes in it, so there was plenty of starch. It's stewed in portobello mushroom soup and a middling Merlot. Serious yum!
    Dunno, even if it has potatoes, I can't have a meal without either rice or bread.
  • Very simple, scrambled eggs (yes, with ketchup and tabasco, get over it), toast and oven baked bacon with maple syrup.
  • -Chicken (with ginger, garlic and honey), rice and avocado.
  • No pics, but I made a fresh strawberry reduction with framboise liqueur and red balsamic vinegar to use as a sauce for a roasted strawberry cheesecake tomorrow. I stopped reducing 3/4 of the way along to blend the chilled mixture with an immersion blender, and the remaining reduction was beautiful. Futher reduction would have rendered it a jam, which is something I'm eager to try with wild raspberries, blackberries, and plums this summer. I'm interested in trying a plum-jalapeño jam.

It smells like ambrosia.
  • Chicken cordon bleu, red pepper risotto with mushrooms, and sauteed Walla Walla sweet onion. Not really made from scratch, but it sure was yummy.

• The chicken and risotto look delicious, but those onions look so good.
  • The chicken and risotto look delicious, but those onions look so good.
    I've been craving onions like no other. I really can't cook onions with my meals because my boyfriend can't handle them. I basically sauteed them in many different spices and sauces. It is so yummy.
  • After a week of watching Chili's ribs commercials, I am slow-cooking a giant rack of pork ribs for dinner! Ribs YAY!
  • I live in a dorm room, which means no real knives and no money for good cooking utensils. We've managed to make some great Chicken Carbonara and Beef Stroganoff with a $9, 12-piece knife set, barely a cutting board, and an electric range that sparks at random times.
  • Very simple, scrambled eggs (yes, with ketchup and tabasco, get over it)
    I just saw the image. You did everything right with those eggs. ^_~
  • I'm hijacking this image since I can't seem to find the picture of when I made this dish but...... BEHOLD!

Upside Down Mac & Cheese Pizza!!!!

But seriously, I was a chef at Disneyland for over 5 years. I can cook quite well. However, I hate cooking for just myself so I don't do it all that often anymore. On the occasions I do, I'll be sure to share here. =D
  • Does this count?

ice, pineapple juice, black currant juice, berry reduction, 151, and orange Stoli
    blend
    add pineapple chunks
    = AWESOME

(could use a banana, though)
  • Upside Down Mac & Cheese Pizza!!!!
    That sounds kind of super delicious.
  • Does this count?

ice, pineapple juice, black currant juice, berry reduction, 151, and orange Stoli
    blend
    add pineapple chunks
    = AWESOME

That counts in my world. That looks flippin' delicious.

(could use a banana, though)
    Upside Down Mac & Cheese Pizza!!!!
    That sounds kind of super delicious.
    Retardedly so. I'll never make it again because I don't want to die.

Shepherd's Pie...MADE! I didn't think I could do it, but I found Ground Lamb one day and FUCK YEAH, I made an awesome Shepherd's Pie!

I mostly based it off of Gordon Ramsay's Recipe, but I made a few adjustments. Used Yukon Gold Potatoes, added Butter and Milk. The meat-filling tastes a little sweeter than expected, but I think that's cause I used Marsala Wine. But this is melt-in-your-mouth delicious and I can't wait to make it again.
  • Must..............resist...........trip to............Trader Joes for..........ingredients..... gAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Crab Linguine. (Again, sorry for bad phone quality) Really, REALLY nice little dish. I wanna make it again...because while it was amazing, it might of been a little too mild. It makes me happy that I have a shellfish recipe under my belt. I'm thinking of making an Asian variant, with Sake, Sriracha and Ginger.
  • edited May 2010
    Summer cooking project found.
    Yeah, I saw that linked from the Homebrewtalk forums a while back. I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a converted 70 quart Coleman Xtreme cooler that is perfectly suited to the task, as well as two 20-quart coolers.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on