This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Summer cooking project found.
    I absolutely will be trying this.
    Yeah, I saw that linked from the Homebrewtalk forums a while back. I haven't tried it yet, but I do have a converted 70 quart Coleman Xtreme cooler that is perfectly suited to the task, as well as two 20-quart coolers.
    Oh yeah, Hey Pete, what are the measurements of the cooler I left with you? We will need it for the War and I want to make a cover for it.
  • Oh yeah, Hey Pete, what are the measurements of the cooler I left with you? We will need it for the War and I want to make a cover for it.
    I believe it's a 36 quart Coleman Xtreme. The exterior is 26" x 14.75" x 14".
  • Oh yeah, Hey Pete, what are the measurements of the cooler I left with you? We will need it for the War and I want to make a cover for it.
    I believe it's a 36 quart Coleman Xtreme. The exterior is 26" x 14.75" x 14".
    Thanks. You're a peach.
  • edited May 2010
    Pasta Da Vinici with spinach-garlic fettuccini noodles (Mushrooms, sauteed garlic, asparagus, tomato, spices, diced olives, sun-dried tomato pesto, mozzarella) and herb crusted chicken.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I made a compound butter, out of minced shallots macerated in a mixture of balsamic and red wine vinegars and minced fresh rosemary macerated in extra virgin olive oil, in preparation for a breakfast I'm planning on cooking up tomorrow. Pics to come.

Made a Beef Stew, focusing primarily on Leeks. Made with tons of herbs, and the broth was flavored by cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Really tender meat and incredibly flavored vegetables. Ah Leeks, I need to learn more recipes for them.
    I absolutely will be trying this.
    Trying now.

• SUCCESS!!! The london broil was pretty much perfectly medium and extremely soft and juicy.

• Large Portabella mushroom caps basted with Tarmari and sesame seed oil then grilled. Surprisingly good.

Does anyone else de-gill their mushrooms before cooking? I don't bother with small mushrooms, but I like to take them out of the larger one. It gives a little bit more room for stuffing. Blue cheese with my go to choice.
  • Poaching an egg in simmering earl grey tea. Can the white ever outshine the yolk? Verily, the answer is "Fucking totally."
  • I've decided to eat only fruits and vegetables for a week. I can add one portion of protein, brown rice cracker and lentil/bean a day if I feel like it. I started on Wednesday so I'm on day 4. It's going well and not as difficult as I thought. Here's what I made for lunch on the beach :)

From top clockwise:
    Antipasti / oven roasted mushroom, eggplant, red pepper, sweet potato, onion, zucchini, hot peppers with balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil
    Chopped fresh salad / tomatoes, onion, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro,
    Roasted marinated salmon / garlic, olive oil, dry oregano, dry basil
    Bean stew / chickpeas, potatoes, onions, garlic, cumin, bay leaf

I had a cookie my mom made as a treat for sticking to it for 4 days but it wasn't really fantastic and I could have gone without it. In all honesty, I can do this without the protein and the beans but I love whole rice crackers. Lots of fruit curbs my sweet tooth I guess.

If anyone wants to full recipes you can mail me.
  • I've decided to eat only fruits and vegetables for a week. I can add one portion of protein, brown rice cracker and lentil/bean a day if I feel like it. I started on Wednesday so I'm on day 4. It's going well and not as difficult as I thought. Here's what I made for lunch on the beach :)
    I wouldn't mind that, but quite simply, I'm a big and active guy, and I just don't get enough out of an all fruit-and-vegetable diet, let alone a vegan diet(I know, you didn't mention it, but just saying for the sake of completeness).
    I wouldn't mind that, but quite simply, I'm a big and active guy, and I just don't get enough out of an all fruit-and-vegetable diet, let alone a vegan diet(I know, you didn't mention it, but just saying for the sake of completeness).
    Yeah I understand.. it's not easy eating only fruit and vegetables but you can eat enough calories to take in as much as you did when you ate a normal diet. It's not vegan because I do eat fish if I want protein but it's pretty close. It's even more strict to some extent because there's no flour or grains (except for the beans every few days and the rice crackers).

It's not something that I'll do forever it's just a way to get me back into shape after quitting smoking and gaining weight. Possibly I won't lose any weight but I'll train myself to eat less crappy food and in the long run that's what counts.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah I understand.. it's not easy eating only fruit and vegetables but you can eat enough calories to take in as much as you did when you ate a normal diet. It's not vegan because I do eat fish if I want protein but it's pretty close. It's even more strict to some extent because there's no flour or grains (except for the beans every few days and the rice crackers).
    Not just not easy, But just about impossible - I'd have to be packing down something like a a kilo of cashews(or something similar - it was a high calorie nut or seed) in addition to eating a regular diet, just to get the required amount of calories for about half my activity level.

It's not something that I'll do forever it's just a way to get me back into shape after quitting smoking and gaining weight. Possibly I won't lose any weight but I'll train myself to eat less crappy food and in the long run that's what counts.
    Trust me on this - if you don't want to gain wait when you quit smoking, the right method is not to go nearly-vegan, but simply to monitor what you're eating, eat sensibly and healthy, and don't over-eat or snack too much. Oh, and of course, exercise a decent amount. The weight gain isn't that much, to be honest - and the exercise helps you with the quitting. Unless you're stupid like me, and do both, and then it doesn't help so much, still some, but not as much.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah I understand.. it's not easy eating only fruit and vegetables but you can eat enough calories to take in as much as you did when you ate a normal diet. It's not vegan because I do eat fish if I want protein but it's pretty close. It's even more strict to some extent because there's no flour or grains (except for the beans every few days and the rice crackers).
    Not just not easy, But just about impossible - I'd have to be packing down something like a a kilo of cashews(or something similar - it was a high calorie nut or seed) in addition to eating a regular diet, just to get the required amount of calories for about half my activity level.

Trust me on this - if you don't want to gain wait when you quit smoking, the right method is not to go nearly-vegan, but simply to monitor what you're eating, eat sensibly and healthy, and don't over-eat or snack too much. Oh, and of course, exercise a decent amount. The weight gain isn't that much, to be honest - and the exercise helps you with the quitting. Unless you're stupid like me, and do both, and then it doesn't help so much, still some, but not as much.
    "Don't overeat" doesn't work when you've spent most of your life using a drug like nicotine as an appetite suppressant. If I want to go back to my proper eating habits (no fried food, whole grains, almost no high fat foods at all) I have to be extreme in order to be able to ween myself back to normal eating. I work out very hard which is a huge plus but calorie intake has to be nipped in the bud as quickly as possible after gaining weight.
  • I wish I'd taken pictures of it, but I did the cooking for the week this weekend while the girlfriend was laid up with some massive back pain. The menu includes:

Chicken & vegetable stir-fry with chicken-fried-rice as a side
    Grilled turkey burgers
    Grilled turkey bratwurst
    Oven-baked pork chops
    Home-made pizza that used a garlic/cilantro naan bread as the crust

So right now we've got a fridge full of food, a freezer full of vegetables waiting to be steamed for sides, and a garden that may very well bury us in zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes very soon (which reminds me I need to go thin out the lettuce and arugula patches). It's going to be an interesting summer.
  • I wish I'd taken pictures of it, but I did the cooking for the week this weekend while the girlfriend was laid up with some massive back pain. The menu includes:

Home-made pizza that used a garlic/cilantro naan bread as the crust

So right now we've got a fridge full of food, a freezer full of vegetables waiting to be steamed for sides, and a garden that may very well bury us in zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes very soon (which reminds me I need to go thin out the lettuce and arugula patches). It's going to be an interesting summer.
    Explain to me how tasty this was. I'm thinking of making an Indian-Style Pizza with Naan Bread, Baigan Ka Bharta Sauce, and Paneer Cheese, so I'd like to know how well Naan transfers like a crust.
  • Explain to me how tasty this was. I'm thinking of making an Indian-Style Pizza with Naan Bread, Baigan Ka Bharta Sauce, and Paneer Cheese, so I'd like to know how well Naan transfers like a crust.
    Even though I'm not the OP here, I have tried something similar in the past. I didn't have a lot of success using naan as a crust. To be fair, I only tried it once. I'd lightly olive oiled a bit of naan and then baked the pizza as normal. In hindsight, I probably should have lightly toasted it first. That probably would have made a better result.
  • edited June 2010
    The naan was pre-cooked, so thankfully I didn't have to worry about baking it (although I've always wanted to get my mitts on a tandoor and try making my own). I just treated it like regular pre-baked pizza crusts and topped it with the typical tomato sauce, cheese, spices, and the usual suspects (olives, mushrooms, onions, and Canadian bacon). I didn't put any oil on it before I put down the tomato sauce. Baked on a well-seasoned preheated pizza stone at 425 for about eight minutes, then I killed the heat and let the cheese brown a bit and the bread get a little darker for about another four or five minutes. I used to work the oven at a Monical's Pizza (in addition to just about everything else in that place) and I tend to go more by the look of the pie than the clock when it comes to baking pizza, so I can't give you exact time on the baking.

The flavored naan was definitely the way to go with it. The garlic in the bread gave a nice punch to the flavor of the rest of the pie; plain naan wouldn't have been the same but a spicier sauce may make up for that. The edges crisped up nicely and overall the bread didn't get too dry so it still had a good mouth feel. The toppings could have used a bit more kick, though. The sauce was a little bland, but then again it was from a jar. I'm thinking of adding banana peppers next time to give the whole thing a bit more jazz.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Question for the cooking types: Burger and chips doesn't take more than 1:30hrs to make, right? I'm not allowed to cook, but I can't work out how my dad takes so long.
  • I'm not allowed to cook
    Not allowed? That sucks. And no, burgers and chips shouldn't take 1.5 hours. Unless he's cleaning a freshly-killed animal, that is.
  • Yeah. At *MOST* that is a 40 minute process if you're anal about the charcoal being just so being cooked evenly and not burned.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, this is in an oven, and, oddly I think I smelled cooking when I went down at 7:50 but he didn't finish until 9:30.

@Whale: It may sound strange, but I sometimes daydream about living somewhere I can have dinner before 9pm and sit on the sofa every now and then.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It may sound strange, but I sometimes daydream about living somewhere I can have dinner before 9pm and sit on the sofa every now and then.
    That doesn't sound strange, that sounds...normal. Also, sad, because it's a daydream.

Even in an oven, burgers don't take that long. Why in an oven, by the way? The stove top is much faster.
  • The stove top is much faster.
    Ah, that what I meant, oven is what we call the whole unit. That or a cooker.
  • edited June 2010
    Even if you're making the burgers by hand, using the broiler in the oven to cook them, and hand-cutting the chips before deep-frying them in a kettle on the range top, there's no way burgers and chips should take 1.5 hrs. An hour, tops, and that's if you're starting from square one and have a huge amount of them to cook.

Sidebar: Who the heck starts cooking dinner at 7:50 PM? By that time dinner should be over with and everyone should be winding down for the end of the day. My dad was home from work by 5:30 at the latest and mom always tried to have dinner ready by 6:00 at the latest. If mom couldn't cook that day then us kids chipped in and did the cooking because mom taught us how from an early age. Any parent that doesn't let their kids cook is doing them a disservice.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Who the heck starts cooking dinner at 7:50 PM?
    I have off days sometimes.
  • Sidebar: Who the heck starts cooking dinner at 7:50 PM? By that time dinner should be over with and everyone should be winding down for the end of the day. My dad was home from work by 5:30 at the latest and mom always tried to have dinner ready by 6:00 at the latest. If mom couldn't cook that day then us kids chipped in and did the cooking because mom taught us how from an early age. Any parent that doesn't let their kids cook is doing them a disservice.
    That seems a little early to me, but then again, nothing like being sat in the warm air in the backyard at 6:30 after getting home from work, cracking a coldie, and relaxing with the sunset.