This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Looks good. You've got me wanting to try my hand at bread. I picked up some Yuca flour and Queso Fresco to make Yuca bread so we'll see how it goes. Though I might actually try some yeast risen bread... I just looked at my pantry and realized I have all the ingredients already.
  • Looks good. I'd recommend for bread like that, try the overnight poolish method so the yeast really has time to work.

The current bread recipe I want to undertake is this: http://benstarr.com/blog/how-to-make-the-best-loaf-of-bread-on-planet-earth/. And this is like a Pete-level recipe as it takes 10 days at minimum to make the seed culture, the barm, and baking it in a specific way.
  • After I make breads I don't have anything to put them in to prevent them from drying out. They are usually too large to put into ziplock bags and such.

Considering stealing bags from the grocery store bread section. Anyone got another solution?
  • edited February 2014
    Maybe these guys? Kind of expensive...

Bread Armor Bread Bags Variety Set, 3-Pack
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Can't you just get some real big ziplocks from amazon? I've seen the food-safe ones in some pretty absurd sizes.
  • Apreche said:

Maybe these guys? Kind of expensive...

Bread Armor Bread Bags Variety Set, 3-Pack

It does seem pricy for just 3 bags but it states the bags are reusable.
  • Just cut them in half and put them in the ziploc bag.
  • Today I turned this:

Into homemade ricotta cheese:

It's surprisingly easy to make and tastes amazing.

How bad was the smell when letting the cheese set?
  • Today I am baking pan de mie. Pics when I'm done.
  • edited February 2014

For the full bread process see this album.

http://imgur.com/a/H4ffz#0

Post edited by Apreche on
  • I hate all of you, I can no longer bake bread, gluten-free bread sucks.
  • Came up with Sriracha and hummus today. Was pretty good.
  • I need a new set of pots & pans. Anyone got a recommendation under or around 250$?

This is my current front runner: Cuisinart 66-17 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 17-Piece Cookware Set by Cuisinart http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C239I6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_1NVitb1YM08Q1
  • This Sunday, THE RYE BREAD.
  • RYE BREAD YOU SAY
  • Scott's Bakery > Scott's Box
    Wyatt said:

I need a new set of pots & pans. Anyone got a recommendation under or around 250$?

This is my current front runner: Cuisinart 66-17 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 17-Piece Cookware Set by Cuisinart http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C239I6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_1NVitb1YM08Q1

Wow you need to replace everything in a 17 piece set?

Are there some main pieces you use more often than others? I would recommend Scanpan but it's only worth buying when they have their massive sales on.
  • Wyatt said:

I need a new set of pots & pans. Anyone got a recommendation under or around 250$?

I would recommend a few choice Calphalon pans rather than Cuisinart. Cuisinart quality seems to be not so great these days.
  • @sK0pe‌: Ex is taking them. I also need a new vacuum, small bed lamp, tall thin self for the bathroom, and like wall stuff.

I plan on getting a mid sized cast iron pan and a few extra thick baking sheets too.
  • I buy individual cookware piecemeal. That way, I can get highly specialized pieces for individual things I commonly do, and minimize having extra things I don't need.
  • Rym said:

I buy individual cookware piecemeal. That way, I can get highly specialized pieces for individual things I commonly do, and minimize having extra things I don't need.

• I would invest in copper cookware, so that I can come over and use it without having to pay for it.
  • Just go to a restaurant supply store.
  • MrRoboto said:

Just go to a restaurant supply store.

There's a Restaurant Depot pretty nearby where we live, actually. Only tricky part is that you need to be part of a non-profit or an actual restaurant owner to shop there.

• MrRoboto said:

There's a Restaurant Depot pretty nearby where we live, actually. Only tricky part is that you need to be part of a non-profit or an actual restaurant owner to shop there.

The best restaurant supply store is in South America. Specifically, it's the Amazon.
  • Apreche said:

MrRoboto said:

The best restaurant supply store is in South America. Specifically, it's the Amazon.
    Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure if Amazon sells true restaurant gear. They probably sell restaurant quality gear, but it's still gear aimed at regular consumers. It's may be as well-made as any stuff you'd get a real restaurant supply store, but it also would probably be fancier looking and pricier. Most real restaurant equipment is relatively plain looking as professional chefs don't care how fancy their utensils are. The average consumer, however, seem to associate "fancy looking" with "quality," though.
  • Always default to what Alton Brown has to say about it.
  • Alton Brown is super gadgety sometimes but knows his shit. Mark Bitman is also good to follow. You know, right tool for the right job. But Jamie Oliver will teach you how to use a rolling pin 8 different ways.
  • Apreche said:

MrRoboto said:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure if Amazon sells true restaurant gear. They probably sell restaurant quality gear, but it's still gear aimed at regular consumers. It's may be as well-made as any stuff you'd get a real restaurant supply store, but it also would probably be fancier looking and pricier. Most real restaurant equipment is relatively plain looking as professional chefs don't care how fancy their utensils are. The average consumer, however, seem to associate "fancy looking" with "quality," though.
    This is pretty true my Dad is fine except for knives which he requires to be a certain quality or takes his own.
    Having said that, by no means are the utensils poor quality as they have to go through many heavy wash cycles and conduct heat very well yet not instant burn the contents as the quantities he make varies from huge to individual dishes.
  • I stewed some lamb! Because Ireland or something.