This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090504 - Typing

Comments

• Right clicking on a macbook? Tap touchpad with two fingers. Or ctrl click. I'd have thought this was in the tutorial videos.
  • edited May 2009
    Why do both methods require two fingers to do the job of one? This is madness..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited May 2009
    Not cranky at all, are we?
    Not cranky at all, sir.
    And how would I be able to see things from your perspective without these fine sirbrand Stupidity Goggles?
    Well sir, taking your stupidity goggles off would go a long way. Try it, really, do try it and report the results. Do take all of them off of course. It would have insufficient effect if you only took off your blue striped pair, sir.
    Post edited by ... on
  • To right click with a two-button track pad you'd either have to use a second finger, a thumb, or lift your finger, place it on the right button, then press. If you are used to the macbook trackpad you always use your middle finger for the actual guiding of the mouse pointer on screen, with your ring finger hovering next to it. To right with two fingers takes no more effort than the methods for right clicking otherwise. Especially as you use the two fingers all the time for scrolling.

It isn't a madness, it's just a different method.
  • Right clicking on a macbook? Tap touchpad with two fingers. Or ctrl click. I'd have thought this was in the tutorial videos.
    I just bought an inexpensive mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. Problem solved.
  • edited May 2009
    Well sir, taking your stupidity goggles off would go a long way. Try it, really, do try it and report the results. Do take all of them off of course. It would have insufficient effect if you only took off your blue striped pair, sir.
    Wait, you're wearing goggles that filter for stupidity and not against it? This explains a lot. Here, try these ones on.

@LukeB: That's pretty neat. I remember the PPC iMac days of the puck mouse.. sometimes simplicity isn't such a good idea.
  • I never used a puck mouse. It looked really dumb.
    Right clicking on a macbook? Tap touchpad with two fingers. Or ctrl click. I'd have thought this was in the tutorial videos.
    I just bought an inexpensive mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. Problem solved.
    There is no problem that has not already been solved in three or four ways with the current macbook touchpads. I expected a mouse would always be the easiest thing, but after a month with a macbook I never even bothered plugging it in. Now I only use a mouse for fiddly jobs like video editing and music creation, but can get by on Final Cut and Cubase without one.
  • I never used a puck mouse. It looked really dumb.
    Good god, it was.

Also, mice, not that useful on sofas [couches?] and chairs.
  • Wait, you're wearing goggles that filter for stupidity and not against it? This explains a lot. Here, try these ones on.
    I'm not wearing any goggles, sir, I was using second person singular throughout that post, I was talking about your goggles, sir, the pairs you wear. This does show how absurdly effective your goggles are at making you see utter stupidity where it's not, though, sir. It's rather depressing, having lost you to the death grip of your stupidity goggles making you see these... these ghosts of stupidity. They do not exist sir! Snap out of it sir, you're not yet old enough to be fired from the insane asylum, really!
  • edited May 2009
    You do remember that it was me complaining about you being cranky when you went off on a tangent about stupidity goggles? Try and be consistent.
    Could you also try and be a bit more coherent. If you manage that, you could also try and be a bit less cranky.
  • You do remember that it was me complaining about you being cranky when you went off on a tangent about stupidity goggles? Try and be consistent.
    Could you also try and be a bit more coherent. If you manage that, you could also try and be a bit less cranky.
    I full well know what we are on about, sir, and I'm being very consistent in the matter, sir, more so than you. You're just trying to twist and turn this conversation into incoherent babbling and steering us away from our goals and making me look like the bad party, sir. Whether this is a disgrace or expected of your kind is however something I do not know for sure. I mentioned your stupidity goggles because you've consistently, as evident in this exchange between us, sir, been seeing stupid things that never were. You've been consistently, like a professional, been babbling nonsense. As I said, take them off, your stupidity goggles, sir, resist them, you are yet too young to leave this insane asylum.

Or would you rather switch places, sir? These jackets surely are snug, and the pillows surely are soft. Any non-human being like us would surely be fond of them.
  • I think my point about you being cranky is well and truly proved.
  • I don't think so. That's just his idea of fun. Also, Rym and Scott essentially encouraged him to behave the way he is right now.
  • I think cranky young guys are funny. Seriously, if you start out that cranky, what depths of crankiness will you reach by your 70's?
    Also, he is pleasant on chats. I would imagine that in person his crankiness is less abrasive than in the inflection-less realm of text.
  • Depends on how much is rage and how much is just fooling around.
  • Rym and Scott essentially encouraged him to behave the way he is right now.
    This is what I gathered. He's pretty much typing as much as possible to prove how quickly he can type and how easily he can type whatever he wants without thinking, or as fast as he's thinking. He has griefing super powers, just like Rym and Scott said.
  • edited May 2009
    But he's having real trouble forming a consistent insult so while his fingers are good and his spelling and grammar are ok, shitcock in a tuxedo is still shitcock. Maybe we're all just used to Nineless being Nineless.
    edited May 2009
    He has griefing super powers, just like Rym and Scott said.
    Wait, when did they say this? I do not recall hearing them say this, though I haven't listened to every second of Scrym for some time now. I think I broke.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I think I said in the forum one time that you were "approaching griefing" and Rym agreed? Sometimes you post with surprising vehemence and scorn relative to the mistake/topic at hand. We still like you, though.
  • So, a content delivery network like the one Akamai runs isn't quite the same as multicast, but it can be pretty close in practice.
  • That method probably works, but it's the dumb method. One minute on google. It literally took me twice as long to read the posts in this thread from halfway down (Günter's post) to the bottom than finding the solution. Just replace the value of ui.key.accelKey in your about:config with '17' (should be '224'), and you'll have Ctrl-shortcuts instead of Cmd-shortcuts. That keyfixer extension probably does just that only wraps it in an extension and nonsense options surrounding it. Typically a case of RTFM, Scott.
    WRONG! Changing the accelkey in about:config is one of the first things I tried. My first instinct was to go to about:config and search for keyboard, key, etc. I then used Google to find out what the different options did. I changed the accelkey to 17. It does not work. It has the same problem where the menu option will light up with ctrl, but you still have to use command to actually make anything happen.

Remember. I am smarter than you when it comes to technology. That is why you listen to my podcast as opposed to me listening to you. You do not know anything I do not know. If you found it with Google, I also found it with Google. Save your RTFMs for your mother.
  • edited May 2009

Remember. I am smarter than you when it comes to technology. That is why you listen to my podcast as opposed to me listening to you. You do not know anything I do not know. If you found it with Google, I also found it with Google. Save your RTFMs for your mother.
    Oh shit!<!/i>
    Post edited by Walker on

• Remember. I am smarter than you when it comes to technology. That is why you listen to my podcast as opposed to me listening to you. You do not know anything I do not know. If you found it with Google, I also found it with Google. Save your RTFMs for your mother.
    Ohshit!
    WOW! It's been a while since I last saw Scott's ego shine this brightly!
  • WRONG! Changing the accelkey in about:config is one of the first things I tried. My first instinct was to go to about:config and search for keyboard, key, etc. I then used Google to find out what the different options did. I changed the accelkey to 17. It does not work. It has the same problem where the menu option will light up with ctrl, but you still have to use command to actually make anything happen.
    Have you looked past your nose? If you looked at the page I linked you can see, especially you with your supposed marvellous technology intellect and insight that is wholly incapable of thinking up the Google query "change firefox shortcuts" and has to resort to his apparently dumber listeners for help on such a trivial topic, there are related options. It is very well possible that the Mac OSX Firefox defaults require you to change more than one value before it does exactly what you want.
    Great Scott, I would completely agree with this argument if you actually talked about topics during the show that require some intelligence. Instead you just banter about simple and mundane things. Of course, we mustn't forget that I barely listen to any of the episodes these days due to this fact, only the occasional topic that is so mundane I just have to listen to your opinions on it, like typing. Oh, and if you found the solution on Google, why did you ask? I don't think you found it on Google, enjoy lying to yourself. Really, being enjoyable background noise doesn't make you smarter, just background noise.

Oh, and Scott, you forgot a spot when spit-shining your ego, need my help there too?
  • Don't make me turn this forum around, children! Don't think I won't do it!
    But Your not Mom.

*continues spit-shining e-cookie vault*
    ButYournotMom.
    *continues spit-shining e-cookie vault*
    No, but I could be the eccentric Aunt that brings you gifts that you hate when you are little, but think are awesome when you hit your twenties.
  • No, but I could be the eccentric Aunt that brings you gifts that you hate when you are little, but think are awesome when you hit your twenties.
    I'm in desperate need of one of those, and not a more opportune moment to knock, I'm 20, nice to meet you eccentric Aunt MacRoss.
  • No, but I could be the eccentric Aunt that brings you gifts that you hate when you are little, but think are awesome when you hit your twenties.
    I think you just described my entire extended family.
  • Here's a firefox extension that may allow you to change your keys the way you need them: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyconfig_extension