This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Wave

Comments

• spyguystudio@googlewave.com
  • So is there a way to get voice chat in Google Wave?
  • So is there a way to get voice chat in Google Wave?
    I think there is going to be an app that will do that, or so I've heard.
  • There is already a gadget for video chatting.
  • My invite also made its way into my inbox, finally. ^^
    whistleotter32@googlewave.com
    It... looks interesting. In the good way.
  • What email does the invite come from? I want to add it to my contacts so that if it ever does come, it isn't blocked by spam.
  • edited November 2009
    How can I request a Wave Address in such a fashion so that whatever comes before "@googlewave.com" isn't the same as what comes before my email address ("@gmail.com")?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2009
    How can I request a Wave Address in such a fashion so that whatever comes before "@googlewave.com" isn't the same as what comes before my email address ("@gmail.com")?
    I don't think Google is very concerned with your desire to be anonymous on Wave. The profile picture and info are all connected with Google Profiles and all your contacts are connected with Google Contacts (and by proxy your Gmail account).

If you want to have an anonymous Wave account you have to open a new Gmail account specially for that. In light of all the (awesome?) integration there is going to be with other Google products that you may or may not be using in the future, I'd advise against it. There is no true anonymity on the internets anyway (only "sufficient for the time being" anonymity).

EDIT: I just found a neat bug in the forum software. If you highlight some text in one post but click the "quote" button in another post, it will cite the user name of the post with the button but use highlighted text for the quited text. Neat way of putting words into peoples mouths ;-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • EDIT: I just found a neat bug in the forum software. If you highlight some text in one post but click the "quote" button in another post, it will cite the user name of the post with the button but use highlighted text for the quited text. Neat way of putting words into peoples mouths ;-).
    This has been a hotly debated topic. :)
  • I'm in.
    lackofcheese@googlewave.com
  • I just got mine: liakahi@googlewave.com
  • A great website:
    http://easiertounderstandthanwave.com/
    Also, Via YOSPOS, vote on which thing is easier to understand.
    Also, if you're in the current preview, post your Wave address here and I'll toss you into the FRCF wave I have started.
  • Yeah, I didn't see the point in reading the entire thread.
  • I don't think Google is very concerned with your desire to be anonymous on Wave. The profile picture and info are all connected with Google Profiles and all your contacts are connected with Google Contacts (and by proxy your Gmail account).
    I hardly use my Gmail account and the associated Google stuff; the only reason I want to change it is because the one I use is in the format [firstname.lastname] and I don't feel like having everyone in a wave with me know my name. I'll probably make a new Gmail account and just manage all stuff through 2 separate (public/private) accounts.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    I should have done this a long time ago.

My wave account is: geoffino04@googlewave.com

EDIT: Is there going to be a Google Wave IDShare option soon?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If anyone has invites, please hit me with a whisper so I can whisper back an email address. Much appreciated.
  • I've been using it to schedule meetings and for a collaboration with 5 other people on a website project, must say it comes in handy.
  • I added it. It's just called "wave". IDShare still sucks. Trying to come up with a better solution.
  • I'm in and added it to my IDShare.
    But just because... coldfire.hunter (at) googlewave.com
  • I hardly use my Gmail account and the associated Google stuff
    What the hell do you use for email? No Google Docs either?
  • What the hell do you use for email?
    Fax machine, most likely.
  • What the hell do you use for email?
    Fax machine, most likely.
    I think the real question is, do you have a use for e-mail?
  • Anyway, if you have a Wave Account, you most likely got a link to this video on a ten minute explanation by the Wave Team on how to use it. If not, well it exists and anyone can see it and they can also learn the basic gist of Wave without having an account.

• edited November 2009
    I hardly use my Gmail account and the associated Google stuff
    What the hell do you use for email? No Google Docs either?
    Pretty much exclusively my university address. I'll have a use for Google Docs and Wave really soon, though, so I'm working on getting various things in order, one of which is just forwarding all my university emails to gmail. However, my "main" gmail address is the ever-so-useful firstname.lastname, and I don't really care to bandy that information about freely, so I'm just curious as to whether I can have a Wave address that is distinct from my gmail address.

Anyway, hate to be a bother, but does anyone have any invites?
  • edited November 2009
    Well, now I have Wave.

I am going to have to consolidate all my stuff to these two Gmail accounts. This is amazing.

Yuusha, if you could toss me into the FRCF wave, I'm HeadlessClown921(at)googlewave.com.
  • edited November 2009
    However, my "main" gmail address is the ever-so-useful firstname.lastname, and I don't really care to bandy that information about freely
    Well I was just questioning the utility of trying to be anonymous in light of a) the inconvenience this will likely create down the line when you have to manually sync some contacts/docs/whatever Google invents next/etc and b) the fact that that sort of anonymity is paper thin at best.

If you are concerned with privacy (and there are many legitimate reasons to be, e.g., if you have a stalker) then you shouldn't be on the Wave (pre-)beta, it has next to no provisions for privacy. Anyone who finds your real identity can pull HeadlessClown921 into any public wave and start giving out your real email address with no way of you stopping it or deleting the info permanently.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I got in too.
    aleksi.pulkkinen@googlewave.com (Already put that on IDShare, but this thread is here so...)
  • edited November 2009
    Same.

zahnhauser@googlewave.com

Who else needs invites?
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Eight more invites, first whispers first served.