This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo E3 2009

edited June 2009 in Video Games
Regardless of whatever else they may announce today, there is new Mario action for sure. Don't think they'll be able to beat Microsoft, though.

Comments

• Show starts in two hours, by the way.
  • Typical. It's 1:31AM here and I need sleep, but now I'm tempted to wait... Half an hour until it starts, but how long will it be?
  • I don't really see that as solid evidence of a new Mario game. Could just be decorations. I'm betting on a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. It could also be some kind of a spin-off (something like Paper Mario), but not a Mario 64-style game. It's too close after Galaxy.
  • Guess, what? New Mario game. It's basically four swords, but Mario.

I've effectively already bought it.
  • GOLDEN SUN DS BITCHES!

Time to go back and actually beat Golden Sun 2.
  • Ok, so we got action on the DS in the form of Mario+Luigi and Golden Sun.

We got Metroid and two Marios on Wii.

And that's it. Not really enough.

Miyamoto didn't show his face. The only Zelda is spirit tracks.

Twilight Princess was a GameCube game, if you recall. It just had a Wii port, pretty much just like the Wii ports of Mario Tennis and Pikmin that they are pushing now. Zelda 64 came out two years after the N64. Wind Waker came two years after the Cube. Twilight Princess and the Wii came out in '06. Yes, 2006, three years ago. New Zelda is due. Maybe Miyamoto didn't show his face because he booched it.
  • Eh, a four player co-op mario is good enough for me :-p
  • You're only entitled to entitlement if you've signed a contract.
  • Golden Sun DS, Mario Galaxy 2, and Ninja Gaiden Metroid are fantastic. Everything else is meh to bleh.
  • This was marginally better then last year's press conference. Also its hard to get excited/interested in Wii Motion Plus after seeing Microsoft's Natal yesterday. Also found it somewhat telling that the only 3rd Party games they really showed for Wii were already announced a long time ago.
  • Not like any of this matters. We've pretty much entirely reverted to PC gaming again thanks to Steam.
  • GOLDEN SUN DS BITCHES!

Time to go back and actually beat Golden Sun 2.
    I have been waiting too long for this! >.< Did they mention whether it was going to be a continuation of the old plot, or a completely different one?
  • I have been waiting too long for this! >.< Did they mention whether it was going to be a continuation of the old plot, or a completely different one?
    Does it matter?
  • I'm actually just waiting for Starfy (6 more days), the rest, meh.
  • I'm actually relatively impressed. Golden Sun DS was hugely unexpected, as was Metroid Other M. New Super Mario Bros. Wii looks okay, not a huge game, but still pretty decent. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was expected, but Yoshi and Gurren-Lagann-Esque drill look really cool. I already knew about Mario and Luigi 3, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, and KH: 358/2 Days, so they don't really excite me. The lack of Spirit Tracks info is depressing, although I suppose with it being on the show floor we'll get more feedback coming in the few days.
    As for Miyamoto, apparently he has his own mini-conference last year, in which he does a Q&A. No cameras are allowed, if I recall, but bloggers are fine, and last year Pikmin 3 came out of that, so he may mention something useful.
    All in all, not quite living up to what I was hoping, but not complaint-worthy, since it kicks the butt of Nintendo's conference last year.
  • Why can't Nintendo just make another 2d sidescrolling Metroid?
  • Whelp, I was wrong. And New Super Mario Bros. Wii sounds awesome. I haven't watched any videos, but I'd call this Nintendo's best year since the Wii was revealed...

...even if there aren't any new franchises...
  • edited June 2009
    Metroid Other M is a hybrid Sidescroller, 3rd Person, and 1st person game. So it's 1/3 a new sidescrolling Metroid.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I mean more like the old games.
  • I have been waiting too long for this! >.< Did they mention whether it was going to be a continuation of the old plot, or a completely different one?
    Does it matter?
    Not really. ^^ I'm curious as to what happened to Alex, though. Just so long as it isn't just a remake, I'm sure it will be an awesome game.
    Does it matter?
    Not really. ^^ I'm curious as to what happened to Alex, though. Just so long as it isn't just a remake, I'm sure it will be an awesome game.
    It doesn't look like a remake. It better not be a remake. My brother, my friends, and I need more inspiration to cosplay the original Golden Sun group than a remake. This better be Golden Sun 3.
  • The Kotaku article says that it is a completely new game, so I'm expecting all new characters and a new story.
  • TheKotaku articlesays that it is a completely new game, so I'm expecting all new characters and a new story.
    Well, at least it's not a remake. That's all I really care about.
    Although I will miss Isaac and Ivan. I don't really care about Garet or Mia.
    I want that so bad.
    I want that so bad.
    ...especially since Metroid Fusion left us with such a bizarre cliffhanger...
    They started making Metroid Dread for the DS, but it seems that the project has been canned. I don't think that the Metroid series is nearly as profitable as Mario or Zelda, so I don't think that Nintendo is in any big rush to add more titles to the franchise, but I may be wrong.
  • They started making Metroid Dread for the DS, but it seems that the project has been canned. I don't think that the Metroid series is nearly as profitable as Mario or Zelda, so I don't think that Nintendo is in any big rush to add more titles to the franchise, but I may be wrong.
    I wonder how much it would cost for them to just take Super Metroid as a base, build a whole new quest, and put it out for DS and/or WiiWare. Most of the work's already done.
  • This whole conference wasn't that bad, I have to say. Wasn't completely overwhelming, but at least it shows that Nintendo was trying harder this time.

Plus. New Super Mario Brothers Wii looks x10 more fun than Little Big Planet (which I own).
  • I wonder how much it would cost for them to just take Super Metroid as a base, build a whole new quest, and put it out for DS and/or WiiWare. Most of the work's already done.
    There are people on the Internets who do it.
  • There are people on the Internets who do it.
    Are you talking about ROM hacks? Are they good? Maybe Nintendo ought to just buy up some of those.