This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anyone know of social game on Twitter, Spymaster?

edited June 2009 in Technology
Apparently Spymaster is a social game on twitter that is very addictive and sounds quite interesting. To learn more about the game (in beta) from the website, you have to have a twitter account, which I don't have. Google doesn't lead to too many informative articles on how it actually works. There are a lot of espionage activities to do, such as "assassinating a user,” and “Securing a new Safe House". You can also choose to join the CIA, the British SIS or the Russian FSB. If you find out someone is trying to assassinate you, you can try to kill that person first. All of which seems intriguing but I also read that it can be annoying at times. Does anyone know anything about it or know anyone who is participating in it?

Comments

• Seems vaugely like a game of Mafia. Could be interesting, though.
  • Here's what I know. It's a stupid game that cleverly hooked itself into twitted to get players. I unfollow anyone who plays it.
  • Is it really that bad? What does it do, spam your feed with "Joey Joe Joe attacked Bart for 42 points of damage" type stuff?
  • Is it really that bad? What does it do, spam your feed with "Joey Joe Joe attacked Bart for 42 points of damage" type stuff?
    Effectively.
    Effectively.
    Sounds worse than those Zombie game apps on Facebook.
  • edited June 2009
    Sounds worse than those Zombie game apps on Facebook.
    It's almost exactly the same thing, really.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I unfollow anyone who plays it.
    Likewise. Two people on my feed started playing it and over 60% of my tweets that day were #spymaster.
  • >Sounds worse than those Zombie game apps on Facebook.
    It essentially IS just one of those Zombie game apps on Facebook.
  • It is the same thing as all those facebook games: a grindy MMO without the redeeming factors of good graphics and character design. You are clicking to make a number go up, and spamming your friends at the same time with the Facebook ones. I dislike these games immensely.
  • Huh. I threatened bodily harm against anyone on Facebook who sent me those game app messages, and I don't get them anymore. Pehaps that's why I haven't seen any of them in my Twitter feed.

Or, I just don't follow stupid people on Twitter, so they have better things to do.
  • I ignore all facebook apps, except some of that actually useful ones.
  • edited June 2009
    Ahh, and the game development community was so happy at the fact they could make games anywhere. I've never tried one of these because every time I see a game on face book or twitter I do expect some graphics and I don't see any (that's not to say it can't be a good game). I did want to test some out because I figured they can't all be the same.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Kings of Chaos. Need I say more?

The thing is, these games are huge time-wasters and you don't ever really get anything out of them. At least with console games, there are usually a series of goals and an end to the game.
  • Thanks everyone. You've cleared up a lot of things for me. I'm unfamiliar with the Facebook games... even Facebook, for that matter, so all these games are completely new to me. I'm glad there's a place I can go to get useful info like this.
  • PAUL WANTS YOU FOR HIS MAFIA GANG. CLICK HERE TO GET THE MAFIA APP NOW
  • Thanks everyone. You've cleared up a lot of things for me. I'm unfamiliar with the Facebook games... even Facebook, for that matter, so all these games are completely new to me. I'm glad there's a place I can go to get useful info like this.
    Was that sarcasm? Nothing was really cleared up. All I hear is people whining about things that they haven't actually played.
  • Send Pokemon is the best Facebook app ever.
  • All I hear is people whining about things that they haven't actually played.
    If every time one of my friends leveled up in WoW you they me an email to tell me about their "DING" you're dam'n right I would send their shit to the spam folder. And no, I wouldn't have needed to play it to tell it was obnoxious.
  • Are people still using Twitter? That's sooooo 2008. :D
  • Are people still using Twitter? That'ssooooo2008. :D
    I just hook my mind directly up to my friend's so we can share every passing thou- Why is he going to 4chan? Why is he going to /d/ oh god oh god oh god oh god
  • edited June 2009
    I just hook my mind directly up to my friend's
    Psh, mind2mind uplinks are sooooooo 36 minutes ago. Every three minutes, I upload a backup of my mind directly into the planetary noosphere. With simultaneous linkage between the sphere-consciousness and my meatbrain, I can maintain parallel lines of thought on any subject imaginable, and hold massive debates with any other personage in the sphere. Also, this makes posthumous reboots very easy.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    If every time one of my friends leveled up in WoW you they me an email to tell me about their "DING" you're dam'n right I would send their shit to the spam folder. And no, I wouldn't have needed to play it to tell it was obnoxious.
    I agree it's obnoxious. The same can be said for social networking. You can also hide the feed.
    I agree it's obnoxious. The same can be said for social networking. You can also hide the feed.
    Not on Twitter. You either get all of someone's updates, or none of them. That's why this game is bothersome.
  • Sometimes, you can go out and talk to people.
  • Not on Twitter. You either get all of someone's updates, or none of them. That's why this game is bothersome.
    This is actually a symptom of a bigger problem, which is that Twitter is made of suck. There are so many of these microblogging platforms that are so much better than Twitter, but Twitter was the first so it's the only one that caught on. On the one hand, you're pretty much forced to use Twitter because it's the only one that everyone else uses, but on the other hand you know that it's not nearly as good as it could be and it's frustrating because it's your only real option.
  • When I first got Twitter, I though it'd be great and useful, but now that Facebook is touting the convergence of social networking, chat, and microblogging (they just added SMS updating), I pretty much never use Twitter. I have Twitterific on my iPhone to keep tabs on friends that do use it, or to read jokes from Michael Ian Black. Facebook and maybe--maybe something like Whrrl (I like the idea behind Whirrl far, FAR more than I like facebook) is where things will probably stay for the foreseeable future.

Mark Zuckerberg isn't exactly shy about shamelessly stealing people's ideas and making poor decisions on occasion, but he makes it work.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks everyone. You've cleared up a lot of things for me. I'm unfamiliar with the Facebook games... even Facebook, for that matter, so all these games are completely new to me. I'm glad there's a place I can go to get useful info like this.
    Was that sarcasm? Nothing was really cleared up. All I hear is people whining about things that they haven't actually played.
    Not sarcasm at all. It's clear that it can be very annoying to some people; enough for them to avoid those who are playing it. That and the fact that there is no strong support for it while there is mostly negative response to it , they are enough for me to lose the interest I had in it.
    Post edited by CWiggum on
    And you assumed none of us have actually played this type of game WHY? Did any of us say we have never played them before? How the hell do you think I know that "these games are huge time-wasters and you don't ever really get anything out of them?" It is because I spent a great deal of time playing them in college, quickly getting bored with them, and coming to that realization.
  • @Nuri: Chill out. It didn't really sound like you tested a lot of them before you gained an opinion on all of them.
    If twitter can't block that feed, then that does suck. I haven't bumped into people who play these things on twitter. No one should be forced into friendly spam.
    I've been meaning to test and figure out how a social networking game is a game but haven't gotten around to it.
  • I would appreciate if someone asked before assuming that an opinion is based on conjecture and not experience. There wasn't anything in my posts that implied that I hadn't played the games. Telling us that we sound like a bunch of whiners isn't the best way to find out if our opinions are unfounded. If you want to ask, I'm cool with that. But don't get upset when I'm offended that you just assume we don't know what we're talking about.