This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

More Futurama

Comments

• edited June 2010
    "But Leela, I love you! I mean her! I mean... err... help me out here!"
    *punch*

Also:
    2008 album by a german punk band called "Donots" entitled "Coma Chameleon". The first time I heard the name of that album I totally thought the same thing Bender did in this episode.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • "My love is stronger than the vast majority of explosions"
  • "My love is stronger than the vast majority of explosions"
    Oddly enough. He was right.

"What does it take to kill me?" -Bender
  • Watched both episodes. More of the same. No shark jumpage.

Yet.
  • Watched both episodes. More of the same. No shark jumpage.

Yet.
    Way to keep a positive and sunny or even neutral outlook, Scott. :P
  • Way to keep a positive and sunny or even neutral outlook, Scott. :P
    I can understand why he would think this, Family guy came back and sucked ass.
  • Way to keep a positive and sunny or even neutral outlook, Scott. :P
    I can understand why he would think this, Family guy came back and sucked ass.
    I honestly don't think Family Guy was all that much different when it came back. It was more of the same. Family Guy was never very good in the first place. There were and are some funny bits, but they are lost in a sea of mundane, unfunny, and expected drivel.
  • I honestly don't think Family Guy was all that much different when it came back. It was more of the same. Family Guy was never very good in the first place. There were and are some funny bits, but they are lost in a sea of mundane, unfunny, and expected drivel.
    Hey now, I used to think it was pretty funny. Until I... uh. Kept watching it. Yeah.
  • I used to think it was pretty funny. Until I... uh. Kept watching it. Yeah.
    It did change, in that it seemed to become self-aware. The "plots" of the earlier episodes were more involved, the cutaways were slightly fewer, and little of the humor was self-referential.

However, the biggest reason for the perception that the restart wasn't as "good" as the first run is simple. I believe that the cutaway vignette humor employed was less common, and thus more novel, when Family Guy first aired. In the interim, it was seen more and more frequently. Family Guy, upon returning, had nothing to make it stand out now that the novelty of this was lost, and so resorted to self-referential humor.

It's kind of the same reason why The Far Side was so popular a long time ago, but wouldn't even raise an eyebrow today without nostalgia propping it up. The comedic landscape was different.
  • “I wax my rocket every day!”

Who would have thought that more than 30 years later we'd get a spoof on Star Trek: The Motion picture?

P.S. I stopped watching Family Guy after South Park crucified it.
  • Is it any good?
    It's like when I passed out in college, except no one drew magic marker penises on my forehead.
    Wait, Fry went to college?
  • Wait, Fry went to college?
    For a semester I think. Will check episode with monkey with the hat later.
    But by year 3000 standards he is just a high school dropout!
    Um, have you seen the other bafoons portrayed in that show?
    Um, have you seen the other bafoons portrayed in that show?
    I always wondered how Zapp Branigan became Zapp Branigan :O
  • There's a new episode out.
  • I missed the first 10 minutes of the episode, but it didn't really feel like a Futurama episode. I think they were a whole lot more subtle about their modern cultural satire before, this seemed to be too obvious and out in front then usual.
  • I missed the first 10 minutes of the episode, but it didn't really feel like a Futurama episode. I think they were a whole lot more subtle about their modern cultural satire before, this seemed to be too obvious and out in front then usual.
    Watch the episode again with the first ten minutes. But I actually really loved the episode. Even though the eyephone thing is obvious, they made the whole thing really funny without making it preachy AND attaching it to the plot. Honestly, Simpsons has more product placement now and in that show it feels more annoying.
  • they made the whole thing really funny without making it preachy AND attaching it to the plot.
    It seemed rather preachy to me. In my mind I'm comparing it to the Napster/KidNappster episode where they make a point about something. In this case music piracy, but hid it behind people pirating a person's personality. But that episode wasn't so much about that as it was about Fry loving a robot, how they "solved" that problem in society, and how the internet is in the future. With this one it was them making a point about the iPhone, while most of the episode was them making a point about Twitter and internet memes.
  • they made the whole thing really funny without making it preachy AND attaching it to the plot.
    It seemed rather preachy to me. In my mind I'm comparing it to the Napster/KidNappster episode where they make a point about something. In this case music piracy, but hid it behind people pirating a person's personality. But that episode wasn't so much about that as it was about Fry loving a robot, how they "solved" that problem in society, and how the internet is in the future. With this one it was them making a point about the iPhone, while most of the episode was them making a point about Twitter and internet memes.
    I can see how that episode was preachy, but this one didn't feel all that much to me. It did felt like that with the ending and people's obsession to upgrading technology, but most of the episode just felt like great, Futurama-parody on something we can relate to. I had a lot of moments while watching this episode where I laughed out loud. Only a few Futurama episodes have made me done that.
  • It wasn't so much preachy as it was clumsily transparent.
  • Latest episode was awesome and hilarious. It was worth the wait.
  • Since it was made by MOM, a robot manufacturer, wouldn't the droid or some android phone variant make more sense? Just saying
  • "I'm just glad I didn't live to see this day! Wait a minute."
    *feel*
    *throb*
    "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!"

Also, Hedonismbot. And a parody of the infamous "gathering storm" ad.

Camp Rectifier's logo is an actual rectifier, for those who didn't realize or don't know anything about electronics.
  • Well, I suppose that being late to the party is better than never attending to begin with. I think that so far it is just as good as old Futurama and I hold out hope for continued awesome. Also, I would totally get an eyePhone.
  • I would totally get an eyePhone.
    Send.
  • My favorite joke in that episode? The Despair-Nixon poster.
  • In the year 252525,
    the backwards time machine still won't have arrived,
    and in the whole world, there is only one technology
    a rusty sword for practicing proctology.
  • Futurama just keeps getting better and better!