This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NeoTokyo: GiTS for Source

edited June 2009 in Video Games
MOh3xYPrYF8

So word has it that this mod is going to be released soon. Who's up for some games when it's out?

Site here. Also, here is a good image based page to give you an idea of how the game plays out.

Comments

• I like the environments a lot more than I like the game concept.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll try it but I've not got high hopes for it as a CS remake. The aesthetic is very nice though, if they could have worked in more of the cyborg powers like super jumps and maybe some ghost hacking.

I also think the Shiro approved nipples on the robot torso are a nice touch.

Gameplay as an assault.

Gameplay as a recon
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'll try it but I've not got high hopes for it as a CS remake.
    Yeah, I agree. I like eveything I see here, but the gameplay looks just like Counter-Strike. Awesome GitS styling is pointless if you don't also have GitS gameplay. How about some Tachikomas?
  • Ghosthacking another player would be sweet.
  • I'll try it but I've not got high hopes for it as a CS remake.
    Yeah, I agree. I like eveything I see here, but the gameplay looks just like Counter-Strike. Awesome GitS styling is pointless if you don't also have GitS gameplay. How about some Tachikomas?
    Dystopia certainly had more in the regards of cyberpunk warfare.
  • I demand an attache case that doubles as a minigun. Also, I second the Tachikomas.
  • Dystopia certainly had more in the regards of cyberpunk warfare.
    I would actually be much happier with a tweaked, GiTS version of Dystopia.
  • edited June 2009
    While the gameplay may not live up to it in the end, the music is pretty good. There's six tracks here and you can get the complete OST for $11 here, it's 27 tracks total.

No torrents yet but, someone'll put this up when the game comes out.
  • If nothing else, the game is fucking gorgeous for the Source engine.
  • It does look quite pretty.
  • edited July 2009
    Client is available for download. I'm going to just grab the torrent overnight.
  • Just got the game, will play it tomorrow. Doesn't seem that spectacular, but the graphics are impressive.
  • I played a little over the weekend. I got owned pretty easily. The invisible camouflage ability is fun but doesn't last very long. Xray vision is neat but I had no idea what players are on my side when I used it. My skills at FPS are pretty low though. I'm sure a veteran FPS player will get more from this game.
  • This game is not so great. The biggest problem is that you can't tell who is on what team very easily.
  • edited July 2009
    It's kinda interesting to someone who's never played CS. To my surprise, I'm actually quite good but I need to start giving a new computer some serious thought.

My main gripe was that the way the keyboard is used is really lacking. The biggest mistake is placing important keys (Specifically: vision and stealth.) directly bellow the WASD keys so you have to stop moving to use them when you really want to be able to use them off-hand. I'll probably spend a while sorting this out but, it's not great that they didn't think about this kind of thing.
    The whole ducking out from behind corners is really flaky. Sometimes I'd be holding the button and sporadically ducking out and coming back in. The gun sight also really needs to be more obvious or be hold instead of toggle.
  • edited July 2009
    The biggest mistake is placing important keys (Specifically: vision and stealth.) directly bellow the WASD keys so you have to stop moving to use them when you really want to be able to use them off-hand.
    Those buttons are off-hand. You only need two fingers on WASD. That leaves any of three others that can press zxcv or whatever else you need. In many games, like Tribes and CS, those buttons are used for pre-configured radio communications and everyone uses them off-hand.
    The gun sight also really needs to be more obvious or be hold instead of toggle.
    The zoom in this game is a piece of shit. Zooming was already perfected way back in the day, why do new games continue to fuck it up?

If you have a weapon that only has one zoom level the zoom button should be hold, not toggle, as in Quake 3.

If you have a weapon that has a range of zoom levels, then it should gradually zoom in the longer you hold the zoom button. If you let go, it should immediately zoom all the way out.

If you have a sniper rifle, or equivalent weapon, then you should not have a separate zoom button. The attack button should change behavior when using a sniping weapon. When the player presses the attack button, the gun should start to zoom in gradually. When the player lets go of the button the weapon should fire and zoom out immediately. Sniper rifles must fire when you let go of the fire button, not when you press it.

Some games like to make weapon have multiple distinct zoom levels. So instead of gradually zooming from 1x up to 10x, you have to toggle between different levels like 1x,3x,5x,7x,10x. Some might say this is realistic, that real scopes work that way. This is well and good if you are making a simulator, like ArmA. If you are not making a simulator, just don't fucking do this. There's no excuse, just don't do it. If you want the max zoom to be 10x, then make it a gradual zoom from 1-10 as I hold down the button. Anything else just makes the controls frustrating, and it makes your game worse. Don't do it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Those buttons are off-hand. You only need two fingers on WASD. That leaves any of three others that can press zxcv or whatever else you need. In many games, like Tribes and CS, those buttons are used for pre-configured radio communications and everyone uses them off-hand.
    This is further complicated by having to use the tilt buttons. Trying to hold steady looking round a corner and then turn on your vision is a pain.
  • Those buttons are off-hand. You only need two fingers on WASD. That leaves any of three others that can press zxcv or whatever else you need. In many games, like Tribes and CS, those buttons are used for pre-configured radio communications and everyone uses them off-hand.
    This is further complicated by having to use the tilt buttons. Trying to hold steady looking round a corner and then turn on your vision is a pain.
    Wow, this is like basic WASD stuff. Do you not play many shooters? Also, reconfigure them if you don't like them.
  • edited July 2009
    God help you if you want to play Tribes 2, MechWarrior 2, TIE FIghter, or any other sort of complicated real-time game that actually uses almost every single key on the keyboard.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That leaves any of three others that can press zxcv or whatever else you need.
    You can't strafe right and press 'v'. Same goes for strafing left and 'z'.
    Anything else just makes the controls frustrating, and it makes your game worse. Don't do it.
    Gradual zoom is horrible. The game should only zoom in further when I want to. Not some bullshit gradual zooming that will only get on your nerves. Gradual zoom is shit, it doesn't allow you to look around scoped because it shrinks your field of vision and it doesn't allow you to instantly zoom in as much as the gun is possible.
  • You can't strafe right and press 'v'. Same goes for strafing left and 'z'.
    Yes you can. Otherwise, you're doing it wrong.
  • Gradual zoom is shit, it doesn't allow you to look around scoped because it shrinks your field of vision and it doesn't allow you to instantly zoom in as much as the gun is possible.
    You're not supposed to look around scoped. You look around completely unscoped, when you have the widest possible field of vision. If you are zooming, it's because you see something very far away that you want to shoot at, and you just need a little better aim.

Also, you would never want to instantly zoom in as much as possible. You want to maintain the least amount of zooming possible at all times, so you can see as much of what is going on around you at all times. Instantly zooming all the way in removes 99% of your field of vision instantly. Gradual zooming means you never need to reduce your field of view more than necessary in order to get the shot off.

Think about playing Silent Scope in the arcade. You look on the TV screen directly to find out where the bad guys are. Then you only look in the scope to actually aim and fire at one. If you keep your eye in the scope and look around, you will fail miserably. You want as little zooming as is necessary to precisely aim your shots.

Another good idea, is to only zoom in a small box in the middle of the screen, but to leave the rest of the screen un-zoomed. Thus, you can get precise aim, but also keep your peripheral vision in case something else happens outside of the zoomed area.
  • edited July 2009
    God help you if you want to play Tribes 2, MechWarrior 2, TIE FIghter, or any other sort of complicated real-time game that actually uses almost every single key on the keyboard.
    After some thought, and a few games of Tribes 2, FPSs nowadays are really boring, except possibly NS. In Tribes 2, I spent about ten minutes trying to hold out in this tower on the high ground, alternately repairing things and repelling tanks, scouts and transports of heavies with the help of two other players, a mortar turret and a jericho. Going back to NT feels really boring in comparison. It comes down to: wander, shoot, kill/die, repeat.
  • Think about playing Silent Scope in the arcade. You look on the TV screen directly to find out where the bad guys are. Then you only look in the scope to actually aim and fire at one. If you keep your eye in the scope and look around, you will fail miserably. You want as little zooming as is necessary to precisely aim your shots.
    Actualy, I would look down the scope all the time, but I'd keep both eyes open. Worked just fine for me.
  • Worst case scenario you can use your thumb for z, x, c and v.
  • Actualy, I would look down the scope all the time, but I'd keep both eyes open. Worked just fine for me.
    Assuming you keep your right eye in the scope, that only leaves your left eye on the screen. It's pretty hard to see the entire screen that way. Though, because the game basically had a second screen in the scope, instead of an actual scope, you didn't actually have to put your face into the scope. You could stay a few inches back from it and look into it and the screen at the same time.

Regardless, the point is this. When you zoom in a game you are trading information for long-distance aiming precision. Thus, ideally you want a setup that reduces information loss as much as possible while only increasing aiming precision enough to get the hit. Any excess zooming results in unnecessary information loss, and risk of death or worse.
  • edited July 2009
    Though, because the game basically had a second screen in the scope, instead of an actual scope, you didn't actually have to put your face into the scope. You could stay a few inches back from it and look into it and the screen at the same time.
    You've never actually fired a rifle with a scope, have you?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You've never actually fired a rifle with a scope, have you?
    I have. I'm talking about a video game that has a small second television where a scope would be.
  • edited July 2009
    You've never actually fired a rifle with a scope, have you?
    I have. I'm talking about a video game that has a small second television where a scope would be.
    I'm aware of what you're talking about, and pardon my presumption that you'd not used a scoped rifle before - but unless you're a big fan black eyes or you're shooting a small caliber firearm(in that case, it's just bad practice), you're not putting your face into the scope, because no matter how well you control your rifle(again, unless it's a small caliber firearm), it's going to kick, and if you're too close, it's propably going to belt you in the eye.
    But, as you said, this is irrelevant, because you're talking about a videogame with a little screen, not a rifle with a scope.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm aware of what you're talking about, and pardon my presumption that you'd not used a scoped rifle before - but unless you're a big fan black eyes or you're shooting a small caliber firearm(in that case, it's just bad practice), you're not putting your face into the scope, because no matter how well you control your rifle(again, unless it's a small caliber firearm), it's going to kick, and if you're too close, it's propably going to belt you in the eye.
    But, as you said, this is irrelevant, because you're talking about a videogame with a little screen, not a rifle with a scope.
    I didn't mean that you literally put your face next to the scope. But you do get down on the ground, close one eye, and let the scope take up your entire field of view. In silent scope you can hold both eyes open and look into the scope and the screen at the same time from quite a distance away.