This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NeoTokyo: GiTS for Source

2»

Comments

• Going back to basic WASD for FPS. I'm quite the noob so it never really occurred to me to work my movement keys with just two fingers. I've always placed my hand like so. Ringer finger = A
    Middle finger = S and Index finger = D. It always did feel awkward to do but I presumed that's how it was done and that someday I would eventually get used to it. So when using two fingers for your WASD keys, what fingers and where do you rest them on? Playing around with it I'm guessing you would put you ring finger on the A key and the middle finger on the D?
  • edited July 2009
    I didn't mean that you literally put your face next to the scope. But you do get down on the ground, close one eye, and let the scope take up your entire field of view. In silent scope you can hold both eyes open and look into the scope and the screen at the same time from quite a distance away.
    Thank you for the shooting lesson. I was not previously aware that Silent scope is entirely different from firing an actual firearm, thank you for correcting my mistake. Edit - However, I did mistake your intention, though that was me mistaking what you were saying, not any gap in your knowledge.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Going back to basic WASD for FPS. I'm quite the noob so it never really occurred to me to work my movement keys with just two fingers. I've always placed my hand like so. Ringer finger = A
    Middle finger = S and Index finger = D. It always did feel awkward to do but I presumed that's how it was done and that someday I would eventually get used to it. So when using two fingers for your WASD keys, what fingers and where do you rest them on? Playing around with it I'm guessing you would put you ring finger on the A key and the middle finger on the D?
    Just do what comes naturally. If you really have a problem, maybe you can try thinking in columns. Let your ring finger do QAZ middle finger on WSX, etc.

The thing about fps games is that you really don't have to hold any buttons down. The only buttons you need to hold down are WASD and duck. Some games also need you to hold down zoom, use, jump, sprint/run/walk, or voice chat. Occasionally a game will have a weird thing like the menu in NS. Other than that, you just tap all of the buttons. F for flashlight, g for grenade, r for reload. These don't really need dedicated fingers to hold them down.

I don't even think about which fingers I actually use on which buttons when fpsing. All I know is that I only ever have two fingers on wasd at any one time, and that I can tap just about any other button on the keyboard with no interruption. I can even hit numbers like 7, 8, and 9 to switch weapons without any interruption in play. It just happens naturally. Maybe I should video my hands during a game of quake.