This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's the right university for me?

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
So It's time for me to decide what universities I want to visit this summer, and I need to make a list of universities that appeal to me. I would like some suggestions and opinions to help me make a better decision for my future, as well as other university related topics in general.

So here's my opinion about the universities that I want:
I'm going to learn about IT and CS, so it obviously has to be a university that offers a good
Size doesn't matter, as long as reasonably big enough to provide a degree education.
Location doesn't really matter, just as long as it's somewhere in the US.
Cost isn't such a big deal, as long as it isn't ludicrous.

Basically, I'm quite flexible about the university I want to go to, as long as it's a good one. My main focus is CS and IT, perhaps with other technology related courses as well on the side. The only university I know about in-depth is RIT, so I'm hoping that other people know in-depth about other universities that are a good choice for a CS/IT related studies.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Honestly you can go pretty much anywhere for CS nowadays. I did a career shadowing at a really nice software company and I talked to all the programmers. I was expecting them to say they went to places that were big (OSU) or known for tech (RIT, MIT, etc). Nope, most of them got their degrees at small colleges, community colleges, and colleges not typically known for computers. You really don't need go to bust your ass at RIT or MIT in order to get yourself a good job in the CS/IT field.

If size, location, and cost don't matter to you, go somewhere in state.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I'm still in High School, but Dkong is probably right. CS and IT are so universal now that most universities offer a good education in it.
    Granted, RIT still has it's co-ops, which are great for any major. And big places like MIT and Caltech will probably be useful if you want to get some huge job, like at Microsoft or Google or whatever. But, if you're just looking to get a good education in IT or CS, you could probably go to a lot of colleges around the country. Local ones will probably be cheaper, and so they may be good. But make sure you visit them first! Even if the education is more universal, you still have to like the campus.
  • Before you ask "Which university is right for me?" ask "Is university right for me?"
  • While you can go to any school and get a CS degree, IT-specific programs are still relatively scarce. It's going to take a lot of research to even find the handful of schools that offer it.
  • I hear SIU Carbondale is quite good, but I don't know much about it personally, A mate of mine went there, she gave it a good rating.
  • Granted, RIT still has it's co-ops, which are great for any major.
    Most, if not all colleges offer a co-op or internship program of some sort.
    And big places like MIT and Caltech will probably be useful if you want to get some huge job, like at Microsoft or Google or whatever.
    Very true. Also, I know OSU has some graduates are working at Dreamworks and Pixar, so I'm sure any big colleges in your area will be of the same ilk.
    IT-specific programs are still relatively scarce. It's going to take a lot of research to even find the handful of schools that offer it.
    Depends how detailed and in depth you want to learn IT. A lot of schools offer at least a few IT courses, and a good deal offer it as a major.
  • edited June 2009
    IT-specific programs are still relatively scarce. It's going to take a lot of research to even find the handful of schools that offer it.
    Depends how detailed and in depth you want to learn IT. A lot of schools offer at least a few IT courses, and a good deal offer it as a major.
    Yeah, and several schools offer Associate's Degrees for very similar things like Information Systems. You can take the same classes for cheaper, then transfer into an IT program.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Before you ask "Which university is right for me?" ask "Is university right for me?"
    Didn't we already have several threads and thread discussions about this?
  • Depends how detailed and in depth you want to learn IT. A lot of schools offer at least a few IT courses, and a good deal offer it as a major.
    Not that many have it as a major compared to the vast number that have CS degrees. A lot of community colleges have it, but not that many universities. CalTech and MIT don't even have it.
    Information Systems
    IS is almost completely different. Information Systems is a business degree with a light sprinkling of computer classes.

Seriously, I spent a year researching all of this. I know what I'm talking about here. If you want to do CS, pick the schools before you look at the programs because pretty much all colleges have CS. If you want an IT-specific program, you're going to have to do a lot more work. Looking for the major called "Information Technology" isn't enough. Some IT programs are completely different from the others, and many places you will find IT programs under completely different names. When in doubt, compare the curriculum to RIT's to see if it's right. Also keep in mind that many IT professionals actually have degrees in CS.
  • As far as the industry is concerned, RIT really is the absolute best place to earn an IT degree, and no other university seems to even come close in terms of preparing students for working at the high end of the field.
  • As far as the industry is concerned, RIT really is the absolute best place to earn an IT degree, and no other university seems to even come close in terms of preparing students for working at the high end of the field.
    Is this based on your personal experiences at RIT or are their hard facts to back up this claim?
  • RIT's good. If you want the best, go to RIT, UC Berkeley (for CS), or MIT (for CS). What do you want to study; CS or IT?
  • Posted By: LordyupaIs this based on your personal experiences at RIT or are their hard facts to back up this claim?This is based on my experiences in the industry after RIT. The majority of IT workers I've ever encountered with "IT" degrees were unprepared, except for people from RIT. This sentiment was shared by the management of two of the three enterprise firms for which I've worked. The competent people either came from RIT, or came from other degree programs and already had substantial industry experience.

I would phrase it thusly: RIT graduates with IT degrees are more prepared to enter the job market at a position above the typical "entry-level" than those with similar degrees from other schools.
  • So, I'm looking into universities and I have a question. What are the differences between bachelor of technology and bachelor of computer science? For some reason, all the computer courses at BCIT are bachelor of tech, not comp sci.
  • edited December 2010
    I am amused by these posts of mine from two years ago when I was applying to computery schools. It's amazing how unpredictably things can change.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I am amused by these posts of mine from two years ago when I was applying to computery schools. It's amazing how unpredictably things can change.
    For reals. Gotta do what you love, though.

I am so happy I'm not tracked for engineering anymore. And I'm equally happy in Molecular and Cellular Bio and Japanese Language and Culture.
  • I am amused by these posts of mine from two years ago when I was applying to computery schools. It's amazing how unpredictably things can change.
    I was having a conversation with someone recently about how you have to rely only on what you know, or think you know, in the moment to be able to project and plan for your future, yet it's absolutely impossible to know how completely different your circumstances and feelings even just six months into the future could be. You just sort of have to acknowledge the uncertainty and do your best.
  • edited December 2010
    Before you ask "Which university is right for me?" ask "Is university right for me?"
    He's probably already answered that. I answered that back in grade 9.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
    I was having a conversation with someone recently about how you have to rely only on what you know, or think you know, in the moment to be able to project and plan for your future, yet it's absolutely impossible to know how completely different your circumstances and feelings even just six months into the future could be. You just sort of have to acknowledge the uncertainty and do your best.
    Yeah. I got to the end of first semester last year when I realized engineering was not for me. The immediate response was, "Well, fuck, what do I do now?"

Glad I figured that shit out.
  • Along the same vein, Sullivan University offers degrees for all kinds of shit. I'm applying for courses to get an Associate's in CS, and for a plan that I may end up shit talking anyway I could use business management and a Bachelor's of culinary arts.

Fun game: Guess what the hell I want to do with the minimal degrees of those majors!
  • I'm currently a high school senior, and going through this whole process. If you have any general questions for someone who has done this stuff recently, I'd be happy to answer them.
  • For some reason, all the computer courses at BCIT are bachelor of tech, not comp sci.
    I've never heard of a Bachelors of Technology. I have a Bachelor's of Science inInformation Technology. I could also have gotten a BS in Applied Networking, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering: they were all separate programs with separate degrees, all of which were Bachelors' of Science.
  • edited December 2010
    Bachelor's of culinary arts.
    You might be interested in this article, by Bourdain. It's pretty good.

It seems that the vast majority of colleges that offer a BS in IT don't understand what IT really entails. They think it's a business degree, and either leave out programming entirely or teach basic HTML4. It's really a joke. RIT's not like that. Their IT program is exactly what you need to do well in that career.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Bachelor's of culinary arts.
    You might be interested inthisarticle, by Bourdain. It's pretty good.
    That's pretty insightful, and like many starry-eyed American 20-somethings I have the audacity to say "I'll be different!" Nah, I don't have what it takes to make it in a high-end restaurant (I probably wouldn't recognize one if I saw it, such is the melancholy of living in Kentucky), my aspirations are much more simple. Open up a deli. Would it be easier to just dive right in, and say "consequences be damned?" Maybe, but there is much I don't know, about cooking AND run a business, and much that could be useful.
  • If you want to open a quality delicatessen, get a BA in Business, and then do apprenticeship and CIA training in New York.
  • edited December 2010
    What are the differences between bachelor of technology and bachelor of computer science?
    You should be able to preview the typical curricula for both degrees, right? They might be pretty similar tracks overall. In any event, that's what you should shoot for; look at the suggested curricula and make your judgment from there.

Yeah, the Bachelor's of Tech is a new thing for me too. I think it's been cropping up in the last several years. A quick Google search shows a good number of schools offering BDT programs.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • CIA training in New York.
    Blackbird one, Hungryman. Target Noble has picked up the package. Initiate protocol Open face ham and chicken sandwich.
    Blackbird one, Hungryman. Target Noble has picked up the package. Initiate protocol Open face ham and chicken sandwich.
    Crazy Horse One-Eight; Bushmaster Element. Clear to engage bacon strips and avocado. Fire on sight.
    Crazy Horse One-Eight; Bushmaster Element. Clear to engage bacon strips and avocado. Fire on sight.
    I love you guys.
  • What are the differences between bachelor of technology and bachelor of computer science?
    You should be able to preview the typical curricula for both degrees, right? They might be pretty similar tracks overall. In any event, that's what you should shoot for; look at the suggested curricula and make your judgment from there.
    The curriculum looks like stuff that would be for a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science but they call it Bachelor of Technology in Computer Systems. Would it be less recognized/accepted by employers?