This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's the right university for me?

2»

Comments

• The curriculum looks like stuff that would be for a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science but they call it Bachelor of Technology in Computer Systems. Would it be less recognized/accepted by employers?
    What do you want to do?
  • The BT in Computer Systems is probably a lot more like IT than Computer Science, though without having the university's website in front of me, I can't really confirm that.
  • The BT in Computer Systems is probably a lot more like IT than Computer Science, though without having the university's website in front of me, I can't really confirm that.
    I think calling the university on the phone is a good idea. No?
  • Oh, I just realized he was talking about BCIT. Yeah, Pegu, those courses are all IT/networking, if that's the program you're referring to. In fact, I don't see a single computer science course there.
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for your help. Strangely, the two year lead-up program has all the CS. I'll look into it in more detail later (phone calls etc.) later.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Talked with an admissions officer today. I feel like this is basically a crash course, as the IT program covers six certifications in a year, even with everything else. Understanding most of us here who are IT professionals have probably spent 4-8 years in school, I would like to know if one year is really all I'd need to get everything I'd need for an entry level position in IT.
  • entry level position in IT.
    What part of IT are you going into? If you just want to do tech support, then yes. I got an A+ cert in high school and worked tech support for a few years. If you want to do something fun and challenging, you'll probably need more than that (unless you're brilliant. this is tech, after all).
  • Yeah, A+ and Net+ are the first two certs for this course. I am interested in administration, and the course covers that and security.