This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Yeah, I just heard. The man had a strange life. He was so talented, and near the end, so broken up.
  • Man, it is hard to believe that he's gone. At 50 no less.
    There goes another music legend, not sure what to say really.
  • Crazy. Didn't see this coming at all any time soon.

Controversy or not, the man was a legend. Thriller is still one of my favorite albums ever.
  • Apparently he's not dead. He's in a coma. Even so the odds don't look good that he'll be doing much of anything ever again.
  • CNN is reporting that he was revived and moved to a different hospital. The family is denying that he is dead.
  • CNN is reporting that he was revived and moved to a different hospital. The family is denying that he is dead.
    A few minutes ago they also reported he's dead.
    A few minutes ago they also reported he's dead.
    Thriller 2!
  • edited June 2009
    Thriller 2!
    Thriller was about zombies, afterall...

If he is dead, it is indeed a sad loss. His music was always a pleasure to listen to as well as watching his videos.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • BBC News just confirmed his death. Quite sad, end of an era and stuff. I'm not that effected, I loved his music but death just happens sometimes.
  • And here we are ladies and gentleman. What beautiful weather we have here today for the 346th running of the jokes that are too soon.
  • This is sad. First Farrah Fawcett, now Michael Jackson?

Is now a good time to reflect that his death only happened earlier today and without the modern internet we would never have known so quickly of this deep and dire loss to the entertainment industry?
  • Thriller....I really don't want to say much more than that.
  • Simply one of the greatest (if not the best) performers... ever.
  • AVGN Review of Moonwalker. I couldn't post the actual video since it doesn't fall under the video types that are permitted for embedding on the site.
  • Also, anyone else remember that Sammy Davis Jr. and Jim Henson died the same day?
    May 16, 1990 was the date. Memory is fuzzy, but I did see some of Henson's memorial service on the news; very sad but uplifting now that I look back at it.
  • I was out on the water coaching and someone said it over the radio. I didn't believe them.

• RIP Mr Jackson.
  • I am far more upset by this than I would have expected.
  • I am far more upset by this than I would have expected.
    Yeah, I just went through a bunch of photos on Yahoo of various images of fans' reactions, it brought a few tears.
  • As cold and callous as it sounds, this news didn't really effect me at all. It's a tragedy that he died - the loss of life is always a tragedy, in my view - however, it doesn't personally effect me in any way, and it was not the product of any particular avoidable evil, it's just a random stroke of bad luck that resulted in the loss of life. I just mainly feel bad for the people his death does have a measurable effect on, his friends and family, and those among his fans who are taking this news badly.
  • I am with you Churba. While I do not mean to diminish the pain of those that loved him, I didn't know him personally and he hasn't produced and quality music in years. I honestly have no personal connection or feeling invested in his life or his death. I am sorry that he had such an unfortunate childhood and that it left him a wreck of a man, but even that sympathy is of the most abstract nature that I am not worked up about it.
  • When I was a kid I liked his music, but I honestly haven't listen to any in years. I heard the news helping a friend move and we couldn't believe it until we turned on the radio. All evening they played his music on every station. It was fun listening to the old songs. I have to admit me and friend said at least 4 too soon jokes. Kinda wish he released more before his death.
  • If he is dead this means that now we have to worry about dancing zombies when the zombie apocalypse comes.
  • edited June 2009
    word!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • If he is dead this means that now we have to worry about dancing zombies when the zombie apocalypse comes.
    Worry? I look forward to this.
    Worry? I look forward to this.
    Aside from being entertaining the zombies would also be moving a lot slower due to the dancing. Seems win win to me.
  • Man, someone should make a L4D mod where one of the weapons is a boom box playing Thriller which then causes the zombies to break into dance and you can just mow them down.
  • I am with you Churba. While I do not mean to diminish the pain of those that loved him, I didn't know him personally and he hasn't produced and quality music in years. I honestly have no personal connection or feeling invested in his life or his death. I am sorry that he had such an unfortunate childhood and that it left him a wreck of a man, but even that sympathy is of the most abstract nature that I am not worked up about it.
    Holy cow! We agree!
  • Michael Jackson was certainly a person that shaped music and culture, but it has been quite some time and it would have definitely helped him if either he had removed himself from the media a lot earlier or the media had stepped back a lot earlier than what happened and his life would have not turned itself into a circus show.

It also certainly doesn't help that so much news is being occupied by this. Has the media learned nothing from the Anna-Nicole Smith disaster?

Anyways, R.I.P. Michael.