This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090701 - How to Fix Anime Conventions

2»

Comments

• I'm a bit behind on episodes but I just wanted to throw out some Katsucon information that was requested.

1 - The entire video game staff did quit. I actually e-mailed Rym to thank him, Scott, and all the friends they've brought down to help out after we all decided we'd had enough. So just in case you didn't get that email. Thank you very much for all the help. The room probably wouldn't have run half as well without you guys keeping music going in the Arcade room and having guys like Pete and Katsu to help keep punk kids in line. Plus all the other stuff you did that I'm not even gonna try and list.

2 - There will most likely be no Videotopia or GPX gaming involved in the con this year. They were cutting both budgets in half if not more before we all left, and for the most part those two companies were already working at the bare minimum they could afford before it wasn't worth it.

3 - We left because the people who took over for those individuals who left earlier this year weren't doing their jobs and were screwing us over in the process. We pretty much got our entire budget taken back, so IF they even manage to pull together a staff for the game room it's gonna be pretty crappy. We were suppose to have one of the largest rooms in the hotel and had nothing to fill it up with after they took our funding. There has also been awful communication with anything higher up in the convention(vice chairs and such). The entire game staff was pretty much independent of the convention except when it came to monetary issues. With the exception of a few people over the last few years, and the FRC we were all close friends who live near each other. So all year we would get together and plan shit out. It really is a shame the room was gonna be kick ass this coming year. We had a lot of plans which are unfortunately never going to come to light unless somehow we end up at another convention which I doubt. I don't know how we even ended up running this one.

Well that was a little ranty, and I apologize for that. If anyone has any other questions about the crap the convention is doing wrong please feel free to ask. I'm not gonna talk slander on any individuals but I won't hold back on the organization itself. Oh and in case your curious about the keeping punk kids in line comment. I give you exhibit A
  • Help us get in touch with Videotopia. We want to try to get them at PAX East.