This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official OTAKON 2009 Meet-Up Thread

2»

Comments

• So many FRC forum posts on my twitter......
  • Yup, Friday indeed. Sorry, forgot to write that bit, I guess. XD;;
  • edited July 2009
    I think Joe is going to be going to the meet-up, but if he isn't, I know where Poe's grave is.
    I would be happy to go. However, I usually get back into town from work at around 7:15 p.m. I arrive by train at Camden Yards (which is right by the Convention Center, so I could show the way if you're willing to wait that long), BUT - the cemetery closes at dusk.

Also, I was just emailed that I have a hearing in D.C. Superior Court scheduled for 2:00 p.m., so I will probably get back even later than usual.

NEVERTHELESS - even if I'm not there, it is easy to find. All you have to do is walk up Howard St, and then turn left on Fayette St.

Just remember that you need to get there before it closes. It's not much fun if it's closed (although you can still see the grave through the gate).
    Okay, we've all been speculating when we are going to meet...but have never finalized anything whatsoever.
    When I meet hungryjoe, it will be on top of a grassy hill. We will be armed. We will smoke our pipes, and then, we must fight, for there can be only one.
    You wish. There's so much innuendo in this post that I'm feeling faint from the vapors. No one is going to be "smoking" anyone else's "pipe".

We could have a couple of beers, though. There used to be a cool bar across from the Convention Center called The Wharf Rat. Sadly, they gentrified it up, renamed it The Pratt Street Tavern, and made it suck.

We could buy some brews and drink them on Federal Hill so you'd have your grassy hill (and have a chance to experience the ambience of a historic site of ignominious British defeat at the hands of motivated Americans), but I'm still not "smoking" your "pipe".
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Okay. Otacafe, Friday 5-7 PM. Awesome-sauce. I am in my hotel right now! w00t!
  • What about Saturday? Could we do it again as well?
  • edited July 2009
    What about Saturday? Could we do it again as well?
    If you do that, you owe it to yourself and the rest of geekdom to go to Geppi's Entertainment Museum. It's literally right across the street from the Convention Center and it's chock full to the rafters with geeky goodness. For instance . . . an original animation cel signed by Walt Disney to Joe Kennedy. This wondrous little item and much more await at Geppi's!
  • What about Saturday? Could we do it again as well?
    If you do that, you owe it to yourself and the rest of geekdom to go to Geppi's Entertainment Museum. It's literally right across the street from the Convention Center and it's chock full to the rafters with geeky goodness. For instance . . . an original animation cel signed by Walt Disney to Joe Kennedy. This wondrous little item and much more await at Geppi's!
    I have too much else to do on Saturday. I would go, but this is my first Otakon, and I want the full Otakon experience.
  • If you do that, you owe it to yourself and the rest of geekdom to go to Geppi's Entertainment Museum. It's literally right across the street from the Convention Center and it's chock full to the rafters with geeky goodness. For instance . . . an original animation cel signed by Walt Disney to Joe Kennedy. This wondrous little item and much more await at Geppi's!
    Geppi's is quite amazing. That is one of my birthday rituals.
  • Wow, hearing about the cool stuff in Baltimore makes me wish I could spend more than just a day in the area. Poe's Grave, interesting sounding entertainment museum... dang. Too bad I'm only coming up for Otakon, and only for one day to boot.
  • Wow, hearing about the cool stuff in Baltimore makes me wish I could spend more than just a day in the area. Poe's Grave, interesting sounding entertainment museum... dang. Too bad I'm only coming up for Otakon, and only for one day to boot.
    There's always next year...
  • Ha, right, I just have to figure out how to get a hotel space for next year. Part of my problem this year was that I didn't have anyone to go with. And I certainly can't pay for a hotel by myself... which is why I'm only getting to come for a day.
  • Well, looking forward to seeing all of you tonight. I'll see Rym and Scott (again) in a few hours!
  • Well then...So...The Curse of Poe is upon us, Second Row Crew!
    Okay, so we all know who we are, Second Row Crew. Thanks for ditching us, Rym and Scott. We tried to find Poe's Grave, and failed. Someone saw a black bird overhead, so we know we have been cursed forever. Anywho, fun times despite that.
  • Don't be a drama whore ;-p it's a huge convention and people usually only do about 50% of what they plan to do anyhow (then again I'm not sure Rym and Scott planned to go to the meet up, as you'll note they never mentioned it in this thread :-p)

Just go to their panels today and talk to them afterwards.
  • It was fun either way. We got lost in Baltimore but, we all had fun and bad Mexican food.
  • Yea, I haven't seen you at the convention yet viga, hope to run into you again.
  • Yea, I haven't seen you at the convention yet viga, hope to run into you again.
    I got two back to back panels today in panel 2. Otaku TV and Genshiken. Come by sometime!
  • It's not ditching if it wasn't positive that they would come in the first place. And besides, we all would have had fun regardless of what we did, and we did. :)
  • edited July 2009
    We tried to find Poe's Grave, and failed.
    I can't believe you couldn't find it. If you still want to go, contact me (I live in an apartment building near the Bromo Seltzer Tower) and I'll show you where it is. It's easy to find. I'll bet you walked right by it.
  • We tried to find Poe's Grave, and failed.
    I can't believe you couldn't find it. If you still want to go, contact me (I live in an apartment building near the Bromo Seltzer Tower) and I'll show you where it is. It's easy to find. I'll bet you walked right by it.
    We're pretty sure we did, but we were all hungry and ready to give up.
  • I blame Google Maps. It straight-up lied to us. I eventually found real directions on another site, but we were short on time and energy by then.
  • I blame Google Maps. It straight-up lied to us. I eventually found real directions on another site, but we were short on time and energy by then.
    Yeah. Blame Google.
  • I do. I think Li got his directions from there, and the GPS map on my phone is drawn from it. Both pointed to a location that was wrong.
  • I do. I think Li got his directions from there, and the GPS map on my phone is drawn from it. Both pointed to a location that was wrong.
    My girlfriend and I once made reservations at a hotel that Google Maps had placed in the wrong city. Meaning that when we got there, it wasn't there.
  • I had fun meeting and hanging out with everyone at the meet-up, even if we didn't get to play Smash Bros on Li's Wii.
    And I did regain my phone, Kamina charm and all.
  • Yeah, I also had fun! Too bad Scrym couldn't come by. ^_^''