This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Big Bang Theory (Television Show)

GeoGeo
edited July 2009 in Everything Else
I'm not one who likes to watch TV (I have similar reasons as to why Scrym doesn't like television), but I stumbled across a show that is absolutely awesome in a way that appeals to geeks. It is called the Big Bang Theory and it is absolutely hysterical. Has anybody either heard of or seen it?

Comments

• I saw a commercial watching golf with my dad. I do not own a television myself, does anyone know if you can watch it online?
  • I've seen both seasons, it's pretty good, can't wait for the third season!
  • permalinkquote
    Here is part 1 of 3 of an episode.
  • I too, love this show. It's a great show, to be honest.
  • The Big Bang Theory is to geeks as Will & Grace was to homosexuals.
    Agreed, but it's grown on me over time.
  • edited July 2009
    The Big Bang Theory is to geeks as Will & Grace was to homosexuals.
    I guess I'm not hip enough to really know what this means as i have never seen either show (well, I've "seen" Will & Grace by osmosis since my wife really liked it. I didn't know any of the character's names and never actually sat thorugh an entire episode. I swear this to be true.) Are we supposed to like The Big Bang Theory or believe that it shows us in too simplistic a light, or that it somehow cheapens us and plays upon abhorrent stereotyes?

I think there are gay people that come down either way on Will & Grace. Some love it and some despise it.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • This show is bad, and you should feel bad for watching it.
  • This show is bad, and you should feel bad for watching it.
    What a relief. I haven't been watching it.

Actually about the only show I've been watching with any regularity lately is The Deadliest Catch. I found it hilarious when I recently saw a show on local public TV about some Maryland crab guys. It showed them crab fishing in the Bay in a little skiff. The weather was pleasant, they were wearing shorts and throwing these tiny little traps over the side, and occasionally drinking beer. Carole and i said that a show about them would be called The Safest Catch.
    Very much so, yes. The caricatures of geeks they use are interesting.
  • Very much so, yes. The caricatures of geeks they use are interesting.
    But the characters are more nerdy than geeky. Yupa showed me this show a few hours ago, watched the linked episode and it's decent, but like most sitcoms it has laugh signs (also known as the laughter track) that are too invading. I did laugh a bit, "I saw the red tie. Message received."
  • edited July 2009
    Ugh, laugh track? When are they going to stop with that nonsense?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Ugh, laugh track? When are they going to stop with that nonsense?
    Never. *laugh sign is held up*
    When TV as a media dies.
    I too hate the laugh track. That's why Arrested Development was so good ^_^
  • permalinkquote

Ok, just watched this....ouch. Do people really stereotype us like that?
  • permalinkquote
    Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: *sigh* YES! FUCKING GOD YES! WHEN WILL THEY EVER STOP?!?!?! *cries* We geeks are not socially inept.

Okay so I know a few people like those guys but CMON!
  • permalinkquote
    Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: *sigh* YES! FUCKING GOD YES! WHEN WILL THEY EVER STOP?!?!?! *cries* We geeks are not socially inept.

Okay so I know a few people like those guys but CMON!
    Why is everyone taking such offense at this, it's not that bad? I find it kinda funny to see how wrong people take us geeks for us. Call it an ironic sense of humor in my case.
  • It's funny and ironic, yes, but that is what people really think of us. To them, it's not ironic, its reality.
  • edited July 2009
    I can sort of understand why some of you are getting upset about Sheldon, Howard, or Raj's characters as a portrayal of the geek/nerd community. They all do have some major social problems (expecially Sheldon), but the character of Leonard is probably the most true portrayal of an American geek that I have seen.

Besides, characters in comedies tend to have greatly overblown personalities and character traits. You have to take things like this with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I can sort of understand why some of you are getting upset about Sheldon, Howard, or Raj's characters as a portrayal of the geek/nerd community. They all do have some major social problems (expecially Sheldon), but the character of Leonard is probably the most true portrayal of an American geek that I have seen.

Besides, characters in comedies tend to have greatly overblown personalities and character traits. You have to take things like this with a grain of salt.
    Exactly. I mean, how stereotypical is Penny? Honestly? All sitcoms make exaggerations, like you said. But, they do make plenty of nerdy/geeky jokes, and I think that it's very funny. They know a lot of science.
  • They know a lot of science.
    They actually have a physicist come in and help with the writing as so that all of the science makes sense.
  • They know a lot of science.
    They actually have a physicist come in and help with the writing as so that all of the science makes sense.
    I sorta figured. I doubted that the writers really knew that much about science. If they did, they themselves would be physicists, and not TV writers.
  • edited July 2009
    I find the show to be dull and boring. I do not understand the appeal of it. I do not find the jokes funny, and the laugh track laughed at innapropiate times, making it worse.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • I personally like the show and can see why it appeals to the wide audience that it does (which is probably the reason it hasn't been cut yet). I was originally surprised to see it succeed; most of the humor seems to be stuff that only geeks would understand/appreciate. The great part is that while the non-geek can laugh because "ROFL They're NERDZZZ!", those of us who understand the jokes can see that they're actually pretty funny when considering what they're saying. The following is an example, and I find it to be pretty damn funny:

That, and I'm a sucker for sitcoms and TV in general for some reason. How I Met Your Mother is also pretty good (airs before/after Big Bang Theory if I remember correctly)
  • I sorta figured. I doubted that the writers really knew that much about science. If they did, they themselves would be physicists, and not TV writers.
    Some of the writers on Futurama hold degrees in physics and math, hence the number of odd math & physics jokes on that show.
  • Who watched the season premier? I liked it, but the ending made me feel like it was going back to it's one-sided love rut.
  • I watch that show only because it's on the same night as How I Met Your Mother, which I really care for.
    The Big Bang Theory is really really just okay. Some of the jokes do make me chuckle a bit, but it's really just okay overall.
  • Who watched the season premier? I liked it, but the ending made me feel like it was going back to it's one-sided love rut.
    It was good but not great.