This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Uncle Yo live in NYC this Saturday

Hi everybody. Karl "Uncle Yo" (otaku stand-up comedian) here.

Just dropping a quick line for anybody on the forum living in/near NYC.

This Saturday, August 8th, starting at 7pm I will be performing a full-out gig at the Drom Lounge in the Lower East Village. It is located at 85 Avenue A between 5th and 6th street. Full details are available at my site (www.uncleyo.com) and at the Drom's site right here. For those of you who know me, I usually perform my geek specific stand-up comedy at conventions, usually through the help of Geek Nights or Reed Exhibitions. This is my first public, non-convention performance, I'm not working a masquerade or opening for a J-pop band, so it's something of a triumph. If you don't have any other plans, come by hungry and sober, because you will not be leaving that way.

Thanks Crew,
~Yo

Comments

• For anyone here who isn't aware of who this is, Uncle Yo is utterly hilarious, and I highly recommend you check this out. There's a very good chance I'll attend myself.
  • I didn't get to go to the show at the convention. If I can figure out how to get there without getting terribly lost, I'll try to!
  • Hrm. I'll have to see what else is going on that day, but I may be able to attend.
  • I dunno if I'll have that evening free, but I definitely want to show up if I have the time. I enjoyed the show at Otakon.

@ Nuri - I can give you subway/walking directions if you want. I visit that area a lot, it's not hard to navigate at all. :)
  • It's the train station I'm concerned about, not the streets. I can navigate the streets easily. Plus, I might not be able to go anyway. I have some drama to deal with. -_-
  • I'm going to see if I can make it this Saturday. The prospect of food, drink, and merriment is a very compelling argument to avoid yardwork.
  • I'm going to see if I can make it this Saturday. The prospect of food, drink, and merriment is a very compelling argument to avoid yardwork.
    I knew we'd get an American work ethic into you one way or another.
  • Karl,
    I'll be attending with Dave, Chris, and maybe Cassidy. Not sure if the club would allow his kind there though.
    LOL, hooray for slacking off!
    It's the train station I'm concerned about, not the streets. I can navigate the streets easily.
    Google maps seems to have excellent mass transit directions in NY now.
  • It's the train station I'm concerned about, not the streets. I can navigate the streets easily.
    Google maps seems to have excellent mass transit directions in NY now.
    They do. The main problem is that I am unfamiliar with Grand Central in particular and the subway system in general. As in, I have never used the system without blindly following someone on a FRC outing. If I am going to wander around lost in the city (and make no mistake...I will definitely get lost), I'd rather do it with a friend instead of by myself. If my roommate was here, I'd have no problem at all. :)
  • They do. The main problem is that I am unfamiliar with Grand Central in particular and the subway system in general. As in, I have never used the system without blindly following someone on a FRC outing. If I am going to wander around lost in the city (and make no mistake...I will definitely get lost), I'd rather do it with a friend instead of by myself. If my roommate was here, I'd have no problem at all. :)
    I see, I'd offer to meet you at the train station, but I'm coming into Penn Station myself. Maybe you can meet up with Rym or Pete?
  • Finding the subway in GC is really easy. If the signs don't help, you can ask just about anyone and they'll know. You can take the 6 from there straight to Astor Place, and then walk to Ave A.

Personally I'd be more scared of being lost on the streets than in the train station. At least you know you're still in the same building. :)
    Or I could start working at first light and get everything done before noon, thus fulfilling both my work ethic and my desire to be entertained.
  • I totally wish I could go. However, being 4+ hours upstate with little budget stops me from going.
  • So I just found out it's about $200 round trip to take a train from DC to NY. What the hell?
  • So I just found out it's about $200 round trip to take a train from DC to NY. What the hell?
    Take the China Bus instead. XD The driver might get lost, but it's cheap!
  • edited August 2009
    Take the China Bus instead. XD The driver might get lost, but it's cheap!
    No thanks, I'll just take my already purchased and insured car to the hamilton NJTransit station and buy a round trip to Penn station for $20.

EDIT: I'd just like everyone to note that it cost me $250 to go to Hartford, CT and back on the train. $200 to NY and back is just absurd.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Aw man!! Guess I won't be going then, I've got to much stuff to do.
  • But you could take the Metro North, right?
  • But you could take the Metro North, right?
    You're right I could do that, the problem is I've never been to NYC by myself and I'd feel like a fish out of water.
  • It might be fun for you, though! The venue is easily accessible from Grand Central and it's easy to find on a map. You're almost an adult, right? You can deal with Manhattan, and I'll also tell you where to find a good Japanese grocery and food stands and stuff.
  • I've never been to NYC by myself
    Which is nothing but a good reason TO go, of course.
  • It might be fun for you, though! The venue is easily accessible from Grand Central and it's easy to find on a map. You're almost an adult, right? You can deal with Manhattan, and I'll also tell you where to find a good Japanese grocery and food stands and stuff.
    Ooooh! That would be wonderful....I'll see what I can do. It's only 10 bucks at the door so I can easily get in.
  • It's only 10 bucks at the door so I can easily get in.
    $10 plus two things on your table.
  • It's only 10 bucks at the door so I can easily get in.
    $10 plus two things on your table.
    Two things?
  • A burger and a soda for example.
  • We're on the train to manhattan now!
  • BLARGHGH!
    Utter fail on my part, and heaps of hate directed at the lack of effective and useful mass transit in eastern PA and western NJ. I'll be sitting this one out.
  • We wound up going to a friend's birthday outing/dinner tonight instead. By the time we were back it was way too late to make it. Sorry!
  • Well I just got back from Uncle Yo's show (ha rhyme), and I gotta say I wasn't disappointed at all by the material. As an added bonus, I got to sit with Rym, Emily, Pete, and Nuri and a good time was had by all.