This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090806 - Connecticon 2009

Comments

• edited August 2009
    People post more comments when it doesn't work than when it does.
    You know, almost every episode I listen to, I have a bunch of comments I want to post. But I listen at work where I can't access a computer, and by the time I get home I've forgotten what I wanted to say.
    Same thing happens to me. Usually I'm laying down before I go to bed and when I wake up I have forgotten what it is I was going to say.

Edit: I also wanted to say thanks for the update.
    Post edited by Toguro on
  • You know, almost every episode I listen to, I have a bunch of comments I want to post. But I listen at work where I can't access a computer, and by the time I get home I've forgotten what I wanted to say.
    It's called a notebook.
  • It's called a notebook.
    Yeah. I actually carry one. I guess it's not important enough to write down.
  • It's called a notebook.
    I'm usually driving when I listen to your show.
  • You could also always use a smart phone to access the forum.
    PITA. I did this for a while when my work blocked FRC.com (seriously), but it's a really big pain to read threads and post intelligent comments on a smart phone.
    PITA. I did this for a while when my work blocked FRC.com (seriously), but it's a really big pain to read threads and post intelligent comments on a smart phone.
    While it is difficult to post big smart comments from a phone, I regularly read the forum and post small comments from my iPhone without trouble. I do admit, that is only possible on this nice Vanilla forum. It's basically impossible on a PHPBB or whatever else people use these days.
  • I often check the forum in bed via my iPod Touch. It's the only time I see the adverts. The only thing I don't like is that pressing back doesn't reload the topic list page. Instead I have to tap "discussions" or just remember what I've read so far.
    While it is difficult to post big smart comments from a phone, I regularly read the forum and post small comments from my iPhone without trouble. I do admit, that is only possible on this nice Vanilla forum. It's basically impossible on a PHPBB or whatever else people use these days.
    Oh yeah, this is the ONLY forum I would do it on. It's also the only one that's worth the effort. To be honest, the fact that my phone uses Edge and not 3G is probably th worst part. Small comments are ok, and I've posted them quite frequently.
  • . It's basically impossible on a PHPBB or whatever else people use these days.
    Actually, I used Simple Machines for a while, and that had a very good mobile stylesheet.
  • . It's basically impossible on a PHPBB or whatever else people use these days.
    Actually, I used Simple Machines for a while, and that had a very good mobile stylesheet.
    Never heard of Simple Machines before. Just took a look. BLECH! What ugliness. Why are there so many forums out there that all look the same? PHPBB, VBulletin, Simple Machines, IP.Board, there are so many of these things that are almost all entirely identical and entirely bad for all the same reasons. I hope Vanilla 2 really does become the WordPress of forums and takes all these shitty forums off the web.
  • edited August 2009
    . It's basically impossible on a PHPBB or whatever else people use these days.
    Never heard of Simple Machines before. Just took a look. BLECH! What ugliness. Why are there so many forums out there that all look the same? PHPBB, VBulletin, Simple Machines, IP.Board, there are so many of these things that are almost all entirely identical and entirely bad for all the same reasons. I hope Vanilla 2 really does become the WordPress of forums and takes all these shitty forums off the web.
    It's the best, I think, of that style of board; I like Vanilla, but I also don't mind the traditional phpBB style board. I don't think either is necessarily better, but if I had the choice (and I do, on my own site), I'd use Vanilla.

Or maybe KusabaX, just for laughs.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Also, BBcode need to die.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm really stoked for the Google On2 aquisition. Just think, *Sparkly pink background* a single video format to end all the needless complication.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The episode is still not showing up in iTunes on my end.
    It's on the website, just download it from there.
    You have to go into the iTunes store page for GeekNights (Click the little right-pointing arrow to the right of the podcast title). You can get it from there.
  • Because of the failed download on Thursday, it wouldn't let me redownload it, because it disappeared from the queue. So I just resubscribed to Geeknights and it popped up fine. No biggy.
  • Can you guys post the slides for Beyond Candyland?
  • I'm convinced. I think I'm going to Connecticon next year and I want to bring my stuff. I'm freakin' convinced.
  • I want to go too, but money will likely be an issue. If it's not, however, I will do my best to convince my brother.
  • I want to go to Connecticon next year and would love to run some panels, should I apply through e-mail or through the website?
  • I want to go to Connecticon next year and would love to run some panels, should I apply through e-mail or through the website?
    Wait for us to make an application.
  • By the way, the Silver guy you were talking about is Stephen Silver.
  • I finally had a chance to listen to this episode yesterday at work.
    The artist Scott was trying to name from ArtFight is Obsidian of www.commissionedcomic.com (his real name is Sergio).
    I am immensely sad that I never made it to the roleplaying game rooms when a demo was not already in progress.
    I mentioned to both Rym and Scott that on Sunday I was going to fufill a vision of mine. Here is proof of the vision. The first piece of Webcomic merch I ever purchased, now with epic signatures.

I also missed the Global Openings panel. Did you have the Rave Master Japanese and English openers? (there's a bigger difference from the second Japanese opener.
  • Ever since I heard Rym's story about looking for his bike and how he was singing the them to Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure, I can't get it out of my head. I'm singing it now in the office and spreading it in my coworkers' head.

Also, great show. I think I'd rather go to Conneticon than Otakon if I were to go to an East Coast Con, other than PAX East.
  • Also, great show. I think I'd rather go to Conneticon than Otakon if I were to go to an East Coast Con, other than PAX East.
    I wouldn't go that far. To be honest, I only go to Connecticon because I'm running stuff. If I were not running stuff, I would go on Saturday only and play tabletop board and role playing games all day. It is not a convention that is worth going across the entire country, like PAX or Otakon.
  • To be honest, I only go to Connecticon because I'm running stuff.
    Perhaps some other people are also showing interest in Connecticon precisely because you're running stuff? ^_~
  • I wouldn't go that far. To be honest, I only go to Connecticon because I'm running stuff. If I were not running stuff, I would go on Saturday only and play tabletop board and role playing games all day. It is not a convention that is worth going across the entire country, like PAX or Otakon.
    I remember you said that before, but from hearing what happened makes Conneticon sounds like it would be fun to go. One of the biggest reasons I would want to go to an East Coast Con is to meet up and hang out with other FRC forum members. I like anime cons, but that's all you get is anime. Conneticon is a mixture of things I'm interested in.

I've never been to an out of state convention, so it would be nice to finally go somewhere else that's not in Washington, even though it is an awesome state.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't go that far. To be honest, I only go to Connecticon because I'm running stuff. If I were not running stuff, I would go on Saturday only and play tabletop board and role playing games all day. It is not a convention that is worth going across the entire country, like PAX or Otakon.
    I remember you said that before, but from hearing what happened makes Conneticon sounds like it would be fun to go. One of the biggest reasons I would want to go to an East Coast Con is to meet up and hang out with other FRC forum members. I like anime cons, but that's all you get is anime. Conneticon is a mixture of things I'm interested in.

I've never been to an out of state convention, so it would be nice to finally go somewhere else that's not in Washington, even though it is an awesome state.
    Don't go across the country for Connecticon, it's not worth it. The only one you should ever go across the country for is Otakon.
    Post edited by Geo on