This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• If it was just a small group of private citizens and CNN was reporting on it, then I could completely see your point. In this case, public officials are making statements about it and it has actually created an issue for educators, so I can understand why it was reported.
  • Deja vu.

Obama isn’t the first president to be criticized this way. O’Neill recalled President George H.W. Bush made televised address to students in October 1991 as campaign season was heating up. A handful of Democrats denounced Bush’s address as pure politics. Bush asked students to “take control” of their education and to write him a letter about ways students could help him achieve his goals, strikingly similar to Obama’s messages.
  • Deja vu.
    Obama isn’t the first president to be criticized this way. O’Neill recalled President George H.W. Bush made televised address to students in October 1991 as campaign season was heating up. A handful of Democrats denounced Bush’s address as pure politics. Bush asked students to “take control” of their education and to write him a letter about ways students could help him achieve his goals, strikingly similar to Obama’s messages.
    Ok, so crap like this is stupid no matter what side it is coming from. Just look at Code Pink.
  • edited September 2009
    Saw this today and had a LOL at it.

Post edited by George Patches on
  • Blue Dogs
    I thoroughly enjoyed that picture.
  • edited September 2009
    What does a screaming liar calling an honest man a liar look like?
    This.
    Stay klassy, republicans, and thanks for both proving my point and getting this thread back on the rails.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • What does a screaming liar calling an honest man a liar look like?
    This.
    Stay klassy, republicans, and thanks for both proving my point and getting this thread back on the rails.
    WOOOOOOW, that takes some fucking balls to call the president a liar.
  • Joe Wilson shit in your kitchen, America. Are you going to take that?
  • edited September 2009
    Joe Wilson shit in your kitchen, America. Are you going to take that?
    Holy shit, that site is endlessly entertaining.

But seriously, I hope this joker never has a political career again. Heckling the President in the middle of that sort of address is totally uncalled for and completely unprofessional. Aside from that, he called him a liar in response to the President saying that his plan would exclude illegal aliens, and we can actually demonstrate that to be true. He called Obama a liar on something that he can actually prove to be true. What the hell was Wilson thinking?

EDIT: My favorite one (I'm a fan of stark literalism when used to contrast outrageous hyperbole): Joe Wilson is an elected official who seems to be using party-line rhetoric as a tool rather than thoughtful debate and is actually hindering real progress in society which is a shame as we're a smart country and should expect more of the people we elect
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: My favorite one (I'm a fan of stark literalism when used to contrast outrageous hyperbole): Joe Wilson is an elected official who seems to be using party-line rhetoric as a tool rather than thoughtful debate and is actually hindering real progress in society which is a shame as we're a smart country and should expect more of the people we elect
    Holy shit, does that actually come up if I refresh enough times? That's brilliant.
  • Maybe things will come to a head now and then we can all go back to acting like rational human beings.

/blind optimism
  • There's another poignant one: Joe Wilson used your tax dollars to pay his medical bills
  • edited September 2009
    It seems a public option is still squarely on the table. I am very, very pleased.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • @ Andrew: Bravo! Take a bow, Sir.
  • It seems a public option is still squarely on the table. I am very, very pleased.
    Wasn't the public option pronounced dead in this thread a few days ago?
  • It seems a public option is still squarely on the table. I am very, very pleased.
    Rather triumphantly by some, if I recall.
    Rather triumphantly by some, if I recall.
    Gotta love the modesty around here. :P

I love this image.
  • Does Congress have a seating chart? If not I think it should.
  • edited September 2009
    The public option is dead. Trust me. And feel free to call me on it if proven untrue. I have no problem admitting a gaffe if my prediction turns out wrong. This is less about the rhetoric and more about analyzing what is being said in the context of a negotiation. I've said that before.

I saw the "You lie!" video. Half of me thinks that the guy was way out of line. The other half of me thinks that we're complete wusses, and the British must be laughing their asses off at how quickly we are offended. I do think, however, think that Obama's speech had a very different context than question time in Britain.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • How many people think, in light of last night's speech, that "the public option is dead"?
  • How many people think, in light of last night's speech, that "the public option is dead"?
    "For example -- for example, some have suggested that the public option go into effect only in those markets where insurance companies are not providing affordable policies. Others have proposed a co-op or another non-profit entity to administer the plan. These are all constructive ideas worth exploring. But I will not back down on the basic principle that if Americans can't find affordable coverage, we will provide you with a choice." (emphasis added - Full Text and Video)

Sounded like he was pretty gung ho about guaranteeing some kind of public option to me.
  • edited September 2009
    This is not a good sign, but only time will tell. I stand by my prediction. I bet they create some type of non-profit co-op that isn't government run. That lets everyone claim some sort of victory.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I saw the "You lie!" video. Half of me thinks that the guy was way out of line. The other half of me thinks that we're complete wusses, and the British must be laughing their asses off at how quickly we are offended. I do think, however, think that Obama's speech had a very different context thanquestion timein Britain.
    This is true, both in the UK and Australia, question time can be quite heated and there is more often than not a lot of heckling and sledging to the point that some MPs can be removed from the session.
    However it doesn't mean that it's okay to do if an American President has never been heckled before.
    This is not a good sign,but only time will tell. I stand by my prediction. I bet they create some type of non-profit co-op that isn't government run. That lets everyone claim some sort of victory.
    A "non-profit co-op that isn't government run" sounds like a very weak to a nonsensical public health care system, not significantly better than what I can only imagine (from reading) your current health care system is.
  • It looks like hecklers forget their past very easily.
  • Exhibit B.
    If I had any faith in the leadership of this country, that article would have shattered it.