This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• In response to Republicans' lies, inappropriate behavior (Joe Wilson R-SC called the President a liar) and anti-immigrant scare tactics to weaken support for health care reform, Obama has decided to cave in to Wilson and his supporters.
    So Wilson won?
  • In response to Republicans' lies, inappropriate behavior (Joe Wilson R-SC called the President a liar) and anti-immigrant scare tactics to weaken support for health care reform, Obama has decided to cave in to Wilson and his supporters.
    So Wilson won?
    Um, no. He was wrong all along. That article even explicitly states that the bill specifically included language barring illegal immigrants from receiving federal funds to pay for health care. I really don't see how this is "caving" to anyone, since the provisions were ALREADY IN PLACE. They're just making it more explicit now, to cut through Republican FUD.
  • edited September 2009
    Um, no. He was wrong all along. That article even explicitly states that the bill specifically included language barring illegal immigrants from receiving federal funds to pay for health care. I really don't see how this is "caving" to anyone, since the provisions were ALREADY IN PLACE. They're just making it more explicit now, to cut through Republican FUD.
    It's all meaningless anyway because the illegals are just going to continue to get health care the same way they always have, by disappearing in the night with no way to track them down.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    So Wilson won?
    Um, no. He was wrong all along.
    Yet he appears to have gotten what he wanted. Twice Democrats shot down a Republican amendment to add citizenship verification into the bill, now it's as good as in.

Here's a Constitutional question: Where in the Constitution is the federal government granted the power to create this legislation?
  • edited September 2009
    My friend actually went to that teabag nonsense. Though he did it only to protest the bailouts, he's not as crazy as most of those nut jobs.
    Here's a Constitutional question: Where in the Constitution is the federal government granted the power to create this legislation?
    -_- Article 1
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • More specifically:
    Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States;
    Universal healthcare reform falls under "general welfare," I would say.
  • Necessary and Proper Clause. Also try the Commerce Clause. Nearly everything can be related to interstate commerce, and once you have that relation, Congress can legislate all night long.
  • -_- Article 1
    Universal healthcare reform falls under "general welfare," I would say.
    once you have that relation, Congress can legislate all night long.
    Damns. QFT.
  • Tea-Baggers protest the D.C. Metro. "How dare this government service not efficiently transport us to protest government services!"

BTW, did you read about how they lied about the number of people in attendance at their last little event? They used a photo to justufy their claims of millions of people in attendance, but the photo was easily shown to be a fraud because it doesn't show a building currently on the Mall now that would have shown up in any photo taken on 9/12/09. Here's another article about the fake photo.
  • They were clearly waiting to board the metro. Then there would have been 2 million of them.

And I don't think most of the teabag people are as crazy as those people in the video.
  • Tea-Baggers protest the D.C. Metro."How dare this government service not efficiently transport us to protest government services!"

BTW, did you read about howthey lied about the number of people in attendance at their last little event?They used a photo to justufy their claims of millions of people in attendance, but the photo was easily shown to be a fraud because it doesn't show a building currently on the Mall now that would have shown up in any photo taken on 9/12/09.Here's another article about the fake photo.
    It's hilariously appropriate that the leader of "FreedomWorks" should be called "Dick Armey"... :)
  • And I don't think most of the teabag people are as crazy as those people in the video.
    You don't think so? Everyone I have ever met in person or seen on video (supporting that position) has been that crazy.
  • You don't think so? Everyone I have ever met in person or seen on video (supporting that position) has been that crazy.
    How many have you actually met?
  • The only crowd shout I have scene from the event is this one.

After doing some searching I found the source and they have issued a correction. From their estimation image it looks like around 300K people showed up.

I guess the chapter on checking your sources before publishing must not be in the free preview part of the journalism 101 book on Amazon?
  • How many have you actually met?
    Personally? Maybe 20 to 30 or so. I've seen quite more on teh interbutts.
  • FREEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!
  • After looking at some of the posters from the event on 9/12 and seeing some of the Bush as a chimp posters I got to thinking. Now, this is a serious question:

Seeing as how Bush was often compared to a chimp as a source of ridicule what animal (or animals) can protesters compare Obama to as a form of ridicule without being branded a racist?

I ask this because the race card is being thrown around like rice at a wedding. It has gotten to the point that disagreeing with the President gets you branded as a racist rather than someone who disagrees due to philosophical reasons.

Another question I have been asking is if anyone can name a non-liberal/Democrat minority who was opposed by Democrats where the Democrats were accused of racism rather than being portrayed as having philosophical or political reasons for their opposition. I can't for the life of me think of a single minority that was opposed by Democrats where the opposition was painted as anything other than based on politics.
  • edited September 2009
    It has gotten to the point that disagreeing with the President gets you branded as a racist rather than someone who disagrees due to philosophical reasons.
    Yay for false equivalence. You make "some of the criticism of the president is racist" into "all of the criticism of the president is racist" which is simply false. Definitely not all opposition has been branded as racist, just the racist ones.

As for your problem of not being able to find something where the Democrats have been accused of racism, don't you think that is a good thing?

In other news since this thread is about screaming and lying:
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Bush was often compared to a chimp as a source of ridicule
    It's true but personally I think the chimpanzee community was outraged more than Georgie.
    what animal (or animals) can protesters compare Obama to as a form of ridicule without being branded a racist?
    Why? Do you feel like being a spokesperson for the next rally of tea baggers and now have internal conflict on insulting a man for no appropriately definable reason; that you may feel uncomfortable with potential racist remarks you may make by sand bagging ahead of time with this post?
    I ask this because the race card is being thrown around like rice at a wedding.
    I haven't seen any rice thrown around at the last 5 weddings I've attended. I find you attaching your religious zeal to this political argument as inflammatory as the US government is apparently secular.
    Does this "rice throwing" happen at appropriate times in response to specifically targeted disruptions?
    disagreeing with the President gets you branded as a racist rather than someone who disagrees due to philosophical reasons.
    I disagree with him on a number of topics yet am still unbranded.
    I can't for the life of me think of a single minority that was opposed by Democrats where the opposition was painted as anything other than based on politics.
    Maybe these Democrats you speak of, thought about future and public ramifications before they spoke and genuinely disagreed philosophically with reasoning.
  • edited September 2009
    Seeing as how Bush was often compared to a chimp as a source of ridicule what animal (or animals) can protesters compare Obama to as a form of ridicule without being branded a racist?
    What difference does it make? Dehumanization is wrong, regardless of reasons.
    Post edited by Adelbert on
  • edited September 2009
    If the question is "What animal could be compared to Obama?", my answer would be Courage Wolf.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Didn't we discuss this precise issue quite some time ago?
  • If the question is "What animal could be compared to Obama?", my answer would be Courage Wolf.
    imageimageimageimage

This Courage Wolf?

I specifically asked the question regards those who oppose him not those who support him. Though I'm not sure using Courage Wolf is a good idea for supporters.

I have asked others and the most common answer I get is not an animal but a fictitious character:

• I watched Glenn Beck last night. That shit is goddamn terrifying. The man has a fundamental misunderstanding of pretty much every functioning NGO in the United States (aside from the ones that are aligned to his cause) and propagandizes everything he can to try an slam the president. A key quote last night was, "Now, Jeff Jones was a part of the SDS in the 60s. That's the Students for a Democratic Society, and whenever you hear the word 'democratic' in reference to a 60s counterculture group, you should literally run for your life, because it means MARXIST and COMMUNIST group." He went on to say that the SDS's mission was to overthrow the constitution.

That was the point at which I turned to my roommate and remarked "This man is scary because he's a goddamn child. My eighth-grade social studies class refutes all of what he just said [in terms of the SDS's ideology]." He also made numerous references to the Weather Underground "blowing up the Pentagon," which obviously sounds horrible, but really, with the slightest research into WU operations, one finds that the bombing was small, and was timed so that no one would be in the area at the time the charge went off. That a far cry from what Beck seems to think was an attack that claimed countless lives.
  • I watched Glenn Beck last night. That shit is goddamn terrifying.
    Beck has changed over the last few months. He's stopped with the 'FEMA is building concentration camps' conspiracy shit and is instead implementing Alinsky tactics.
  • Some of the lamest possible examples of Courage Wolf ever, followed by a remotely disturbing caricature in order to prove what point?
    If the debate hadn't already degenerated at "What animal could be compared to Obama?" as a political question, it certainly has now.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm a British citizen living and working in the UK and I don't know why, but I can't stop following this health care circus... Maybe it's the craziness of it all, the ridiculous accusations, the absurd logic...

The level of distrust and outright unquestioning hate (on BOTH sides of the debate) make me feel sick... thank god I have Universal Health Care! ^_^

Just out of curiousity, how much tax do you guys in the US pay currently?

I am in the first tax band in the UK, which is 20% of my income (minus the first £5000) + NI contributions (for pension, approx 10%), which comes to around to £400 per month (give or take £20). I currently earn £21000 as a contractor in Aerospace Engineering (my first job so my company was stingy as fuck, but I'm negotiating a new contract and my clients are adamant that I stay with them so step 4. Profit?!?!). There is of course 15% VAT on everything purchased in this country and our living expenses are pretty high. There is also Council Tax, which covers the services provided by your council and varies depending where you live, but average of around £80 per month I think (I've never actually had to pay council tax, because my current place has council tax included in the rent and you don't pay tax as a student).

What does tax give us in the UK? The National Rail Network (subsidised now), subsidised Universities and Student Loans companies, Social Welfare, Council housing, Job seekers allowance, the Royal Mail and of course the NHS.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • The tax structure in the U.S., particularly when you factor in State and local taxes, is not nearly that cut and dry.