This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• I get telemarketing calls to my cell phone from the Kingston, NY local paper. I feel kinda sad for them, since they're trying desperately to hold on. But then I remember that they're soliciting me on my cellphone, and won't take me off whatever list they've got.(My phone has an area code from around there)
    Kate and I had a ridiculous time getting off the Buffalo News call list.

• Predictably, Donald Trump bailed on his own debate. The amusing part is that he said he wanted to avoid a 'conflict of interest' if he decides to run as an Independent later.
  • edited December 2011
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited December 2011
    God damn it congress: http://www.businessinsider.com/ndaa-set-to-become-law-the-terror-is-nearer-than-ever-2011-12
    Why is former Senator Chriss Dodd (D-CT) running the MPAA? Why is a former Democrat Senator pushing for this kind of crap? (SOPA not NDAA).

Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • So, they're debating SOPA right now. I'm trying to find a live stream...
  • edited December 2011
    We are debating the Stop Online Piracy Act and Shiela Jackson has so bored me that I'm killing time by surfing the Internet.
    Ugh.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • We are debating the Stop Online Piracy Act and Shiela Jackson has so bored me that I'm killing time by surfing the Internet.
    Ugh.
    We really need to be able to fire congressmen.

And what I mean is that we need to be able to set them on fire without legal repercussion.

• I'm not sure which is a bigger indicator of his stupidity. That he is browsing the web instead of listening or that he is telling the world about it.
  • Steve King's Twitter reads like the sort of drivel that people who can just manage to hide their racism and bigotry enough to function in society let slip during family dinners. Highlights:

--"Portland police fence "occupiers" from park. Drug pushers and violence cited as reason. If fences work in Oregon, why not Arizona?"

--"I will vote "NO" on the two week CR because some of ObamaCare is funded by it and the Pence amendment to block Planned Parenthood is not in."

--"Wonder what President Obama thinks of water boarding now?" [Context: Couple of days after Osama was killed]

Fuck this tremendous asshole. People like him should not be in politics. Shit, people like him should not be employed. My stomach is churning with disgust right now.
  • http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70534.html GOOD THING WE VOTED FOR A REPUBLICAN HOUSE THIS YEAR THEY ARE WORKING ON NEW JOBS RIGHT NOW

• Aside from hiring more government workers how does government create jobs?
  • Isn't that besides the point of my hyperbolic statement that was made to just point out that the republicans have vanquished the horrible new light-bulb standards..
  • Yes. However, when it comes to job creation via legislation I have only heard the pro-republican point of view of lowering taxes and the pro-democrat view of hiring government workers. So, aside from hiring government workers or lowering taxes how does government create jobs via legislation?
  • Legislating for private/semi-private sector contracts.
  • Public works projects, I suppose.
  • Yes. However, when it comes to job creation via legislation I have only heard the pro-republican point of view of lowering taxes and the pro-democrat view of hiring government workers. So, aside from hiring government workers or lowering taxes how does government create jobs via legislation?
    There are many things the government can do to encourage development and innovation in desired areas. The government decides what kind of development they want to encourage based on policy and then puts out incentives (grants, tax credits, loans, etc) to assist in financing, laws requiring industry to develop certain capabilities (gas mileage standards, renewable portfolio standards), and prohibitions that may require industries to find new ways to operate (pollution restrictions, workplace safety laws).

Each of these things assist in job creation. The government may not be pointing a magic wand and creating an actual job opening out of scratch, but there are a tremendous amount things you don't see the government directly involved in that would never have existed without those programs. For instance, let's say company A wants to create a new branch of the company to focus on reducing their pollution. That costs money. It puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the other companies in their industry because it will make their operating costs higher, even if they can still make a profit. The government passes a law the requires all companies in that industry to meet better pollution-reduction standards, and suddenly EVERY company has to do it, so company A is no longer at a disadvantage and can hire those people. Also, let's not forget the people hired by the other companies. And the people who work at the plant that manufactures the new technology for the pollution reduction. Those jobs were not directly created by the government, but they never would have come about without the government raising the standard of operation.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks Nuri, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Also, while researching this issue online I found several politicians pointing to bills they supported that provide some sort of tax credit for hiring unemployed people or allowing the business to deduct the cost of employing the worker. My question: don't businesses already deduct the cost of employing workers against revenue when filing taxes? Doesn't the tax credit offer only benefit those who hire low skill/pay workers? Don't these perks only help businesses that were planning to hire anyways?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • The intricacies of which expenses qualify for deductions at what rate are stupidly complicated. You'd think profit would be taxed, and profit = income - costs, right? Yeah, no. The bill probably allows them to deduct something they didn't already get to deduct. I don't know if I agree that bribing companies to hire workers is a good idea, though.
    Truer gifs were never captioned.
  • Oh look Ron Paul introduced another bit of legislation.

Summary of this odious garbage -

Iranian Student Expulsion Act - Prohibits the making available of funds, authorized under any program to aid higher education, to any institution that enrolls or has enrolled on the date of enactment of this Act any person who is not a citizen of the United States and whose country of origin or residence immediately prior to entry into the United States is Iran.

Prohibits making available funds authorized under any Federal program to any such person.
  • Ron Paul

• Oh look Ron Paul introduced another bit of legislation.

Summary of this odious garbage -

Iranian Student Expulsion Act - Prohibits the making available of funds, authorized under any program to aid higher education, to any institution that enrolls or has enrolled on the date of enactment of this Act any person who is not a citizen of the United States and whose country of origin or residence immediately prior to entry into the United States is Iran.

Prohibits making available funds authorized under any Federal program to any such person.
    That...that was introduced in 1979.

• Because clearly all Iranians are teh evil?
  • edited December 2011
    That...that was introduced in 1979.
    I know. I only found it recently, though, and by the time I realized that I wasn't clear that it was new to me, rather than generally new, it was too late to edit.

But if you want to read All 55 bits of legislation on that site you can. There are some weird ones, some good ones.

I'm not saying he's all bad, though - after all, he is against SOPA and Protect IP.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm tempted to believe that the situations where we agree with Ron Paul fall into the category of "even a broken clock is right twice a day." More specifically, we happen to agree on the issues, but not necessarily for the same reasons.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm tempted to believe that the situations where we agree with Ron Paul fall into the category of "even a broken clock is right twice a day." More specifically, we happen to agree on the issues, but not necessarily for the same reasons.
    Pretty much. He just opposes it because it's his default to oppose just about any federal regulation.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Iranian Student Expulsion Act - Prohibits the making available of funds, authorized under any program to aid higher education, to any institution that enrolls or has enrolled on the date of enactment of this Act any person who is not a citizen of the United States and whose country of origin or residence immediately prior to entry into the United States is Iran.

That's a terrrible bill. When my mom was in college (that would be around 1979) many of her friends and classmates were young Iranian men and women who came over to some of the smaller colleges to get a more liberal and unrestricted education. Especially for the girls, this was their one shot at getting a decent college degree. In fact, if we are worried about fundamentalism, the best thing to do would be to offer the American educational system freely to as many Iranians as possible. Perhaps it would be like the Soviets: Once the youth is exposed to Western culture first hand, they will understand it and be sympathetic toward it. Additionally, we all know that education and religious conservatism are often opposed.
  • That's a terrrible bill.
    Sadly, it's also the usual for him. I've been putting in some research, trying to find redeeming qualities in his actions, but no, every single turn just leads to more hateful insanity.