This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    They retracted it...

Seriously? They put out something like that and then take it right back? What the hell did they expect the copyright lobby to think about it?

Also, here's a link to a PDF version being hosted elsewhere, for those who still want to see it:
    http://keionline.org/sites/default/files/rsc_policy_brief_--_three_myths_about_copyright_law_and_where_to_start_to_fix_it_--_november_16_2012.pdf
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • WTF? House Republicans finally do something awesome and then they retract it?
  • Damn! I would have supported the hell out of that.
  • I just read the reform document, and I think it's actually well thought out and fair. What the hell, House Republicans? You just showed that you could actually get smart things done if you tried (and weren't corrupt). Why you gotta ruin a good thing?
  • Excellent article on the bass-ackwards ideals of the pro-life movement from someone who used to share them. Probably preaching to the choir here, but I think it would be great to spread it to your pro-life acquaintances.
  • Excellent article on the bass-ackwards ideals of the pro-life movement from someone who used to share them. Probably preaching to the choir here, but I think it would be great to spread it to your pro-life acquaintances.
    I just finished reading this... holy crap that was a good article. I'd never even thought about the fact that BC prevents most expelled zygotes/miscarriages/etc., thus saving way more lives (if you consider unborn babies as people) than not using BC at all. I'm debating linking to this on FB to broaden some of my republican friend's minds, however I know none of them will read it just from the title alone (not to mention broadening their minds is not a goal of theirs). -_-
  • I love this cartoon. It encapsulates what the current Republican talking point is:

People on welfare are literally animals.
  • Oh god, don't get me started, this whole gifts, don't want to work, dependency that animals get shit makes me want to literally punch many conservatives in the face...
  • edited November 2012
    Nothing surprising here, but this is a nice visualization:
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2012
    So after the election I gave Dean Chambers credit because he admitted he was completely wrong in his "UnSkewed" polls prediction. Well, I think I may have been too quick on the draw there, because Chambers has now created a new website claiming that Obama won because of vote fraud with some truly, truly ridiculous claims for evidence. Ed Brayton has a good take-down of it.

Also, here's a pretty good expose on Chambers.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Fox News on "The War On Men."

Absolutely hilarious. I can't even be angry, this is so full of Men's Rights bullshit.
  • edited November 2012
    Fox News on "The War On Men."

Absolutely hilarious. I can't even be angry, this is so full of Men's Rights bullshit.
    It's not terribly eloquent and it wears its bias on it's sleeve, but I wouldn't call it all bullshit. There has definitely been an overcompensation among many (self-styled) feminists in the form of intense misandry, but this isn't really a productive discussion on this forum.

In any case I would never choose FOX News as the one to champion this concept. Everything Bullshit Mountain touches turns to crap.

Like this: Armed with this new attitude, women pushed men off their pedestal (women had their own pedestal, but feminists convinced them otherwise) and climbed up to take what they were taught to believe was rightfully theirs.

This is unmitigated bullshit. Few other shit-gems in there like this one, too.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited November 2012
    While there are definitely some feminists who dislike men, which I know for a fact because I was one of them, a much bigger problem is that a lot of men are incapable of distinguishing "In general, society favours men over women" with "Bargle bargle all men need to die rar misandry!"

I also, uh, don't particularly mind if the people who get screwed over by society end up resenting those who screwed them over. It's kind of bullshit to screw people out or rights or treat them unfairly, and then only consider their concerns to be possibly valid if they remain perfectly calm and collected about it. Meanwhile, on the other side, old rich white dudes lose a little bit of the social advantage they have and they throw a temper tantrum, as witnessed in the wake of the latest election. So complaints of "misandry" are really just sort of amusing more than anything else.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited November 2012
    While there are definitely some feminists who dislike men, which I know for a fact because I was one of them, a much bigger problem is that a lot of men are incapable of distinguishing "In general, society favours men over women" with "Bargle bargle all men need to die rar misandry!"
    A lot of feminists are incapable of that distinction, too. That's not to defend the clueless, just to say it cuts both ways and both are unproductive.

Revenge is not reparation. Fighting fire with fire just burns more shit.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited November 2012
    There are definitely some feminists that hate men, especially older second-wave feminist, and there are plenty more that resent them. However, I think it's disingenuous to call "misandry" on that unless you spend roughly a thousand times longer called "misogyny" on literately every single aspect of society ever.

It's like pointing to Malcolm X and using him as an argument against the Civil Rights movement, because the dude wasn't a fan of white people, completely ignoring all the shit that happened to the guy for him to come to that conclusion.

The doctrine that in order for a social minority to be taken seriously they have to completely lack passion over all the myriad of ways they get screwed over is probably the most effective means of suppressing progressive change in these spheres, because it can be used to turn any observation into an accusation and shut down discussion. I wish people got more angry over this shit. I think there needs to be a little bit of hate or there will be no drive for change.
  • edited November 2012

That is all.
    Post edited by Lord Mordrek on
  • I saw an ad for some shitty shitcom aimed at women, with the stereotypical "What if DAD had to do what MOM's work? Crazy antics ensue!" kind of bullshit premise. It annoys me not because its just a shitty looking show, but because its basically a subtle way of justifying the whole "Women in the kitchen, herp de derp" argument. Its like they're convincing them to just be stay at home moms because the father can't possibly do all that, so they better stay there and do it the right way. I'm probably over-thinking it but it still annoys me.
  • snip
    "Feminism is the radical notion that women are people." - Rebecca West
  • I wanted to be a stay at home dad but my better paid ex decided that not working was better so I stayed working and she stayed home.
  • HAHAHA IT IS SO DIFFICULT HAVING A Y CHROMOSOME

MY LIFE IS SO SHITTY AS PART OF THE DOMINANT SEX
  • How many women have been sacrificed in brutal and suicidal conflict for the benefit someone they will never meet and who will never care about them? I think that you'll find that the number is very far from uncounted billions.

Now who's not considered human?
  • I sure do have it difficult, being a white male. I see such discrimination all the time, like when I have to drink at any water fountain or get paid more than my female coworkers.
  • I find Feminism to be a battle largely won in the 20th century. I think one's time is better spent on more pressing and modern issues such as LGBT rights and immigration reform.

Sure, there are lots of issues, but the woman vote is getting quite powerful. If anything, the most recent elections solidified that fact and that it's very dangerous for candidates to run against woman's reproductive rights.
  • edited November 2012
    HAHAHA IT IS SO DIFFICULT HAVING A Y CHROMOSOME

MY LIFE IS SO SHITTY AS PART OF THE DOMINANT SEX
    THE OTHER DAY I WAS ON THE BUS AND I WAS EXPECTED TO GET UP OUT OF THE THREE FRONT SEATS I WAS SPRAWLED ACROSS FOR A PREGNANT LADY

HOLY SHIT I'M SO OPPRESSED
  • How many women have been sacrificed in brutal and suicidal conflict for the benefit someone they will never meet and who will never care about them? I think that you'll find that the number is very far from uncounted billions.

I like you. You're fun.

Classism is a whole 'nother thing. If women were not considered to weak for the trenches, poor women would be right there dying alongside them.

Nobody says that men have it perfect or women are the only ones that suffer. But the fact you need to reach back to conscription to form an argument against feminism says a lot.
  • edited November 2012
    WOMEN WANT REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS BECAUSE THEY "OWN" THEIR "UTERUS" AND ITS "CONTENTS." IT'S A GOOD THING MEN KNOW BETTER.

Seriously, guys: The fact that men die in war and don't have wombs doesn't mean we are somehow oppressed by people for whom the opposite conditions are true. Grow the fuck up just a little bit.
    I find Feminism to be a battle largely won in the 20th century. I think one's time is better spent on more pressing and modern issues such as LGBT rights and immigration reform.

Sure, there are lots of issues, but the woman vote is getting quite powerful. If anything, the most recent elections solidified that fact and that it's very dangerous for candidates to run against woman's reproductive rights.
    I'd agree. I just think it's funny to watch white males get riled when someone points out that women and minorities are getting some of their beloved privileges.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on