This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• OK, why are so many government websites now redirecting to closed pages? Are we to believe that the servers have all been shut off and internet connections have been turned off?
  • It's posturing. I think they feel they need to get a message out there, since the GOP is undoubtedly doing so. I don't think this is the right way to do it, though. The language used to describe the shutdown yesterday on whitehouse.gov was borderline childish.
  • I predict that the shutdown will continue until the debt ceiling negotiations begin. At that time, I predict a similar impasse with higher stakes and deeper consequences.

In the end, I predict that the Democrats will hold firm, and the moderate Republicans will vote to end it all and resume normal government operations at the eleventh hour before a default (with minimal concessions unrelated to the ACA) from the Democrats.

The Tea Party will go apeshit, and primary challenges will spring up from the right for many moderate Republicans. The moderates in most urban areas, however, particularly in the northeast, will either survive or be displaced by Democrats (not Tea Party crazies).

The aristocrats.
  • The language used to describe the shutdown yesterday on whitehouse.gov was borderline childish.
    http://energycommerce.house.gov/press-release/the-roller-coaster-of-emotions-on-the-path-to-build-the-keystonexl-pipeline
  • Holy shit... that's on house.gov.

Holy shit.
  • If you want a good laugh compare the two version of that site (majority vs minority).
  • Links? I'm not seeing how to do that.
  • Check the bottom right of the majority page.
  • edited October 2013
    Good grief. That's not funny it's just fucking sad. The minority page cites peer reviewed research and survey results and other actual measures of reality. The majority site reads like a tabloid front page.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • How did they go from awesome sauce with chips to ... Well, I am not really sure what to call them today... The guy who asks if you want awesome sauce with your chips?
  • Curious question. Why on earth do they hide the minority link? Wouldn't they complain if that ever happened when they were the minority?
  • I was wondering that too. The majority link is on top of the minority page but the minority link is on the bottom of the majority page.
  • There was a big story about Disney promoting all their part time workers above a certain threshold to full time with benefits, as well.

Not that Disney is a shining example of responsible corporate personhood, but it's still a positive story.
  • Ha, interesting. Walmart reversing course on using temporary/part-time workers?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/09/25/wal-mart-returning-to-full-time-workers-obamacare-not-such-a-job-killer-after-all/
    So they are going back to the founder's original vision?

• Ha, interesting. Walmart reversing course on using temporary/part-time workers?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/09/25/wal-mart-returning-to-full-time-workers-obamacare-not-such-a-job-killer-after-all/

I don't know what the founder's vision was, but it turns out a high-turnover temporary workforce creates a shitty shopping experience and you start losing customers to competitors.

I don't know what the founder's vision was, but it turns out a high-turnover temporary workforce creates a shitty shopping experience and you start losing customers to competitors.
    I wish all companies would figure this out. The company I work for does this, we don't hire anybody full time at first. They hire them in as temps, then make them full time 3-6 months later. I just doesn't work worth a crap.

• There's a reason Ford was so successful paying what were at the time "ridiculous" wages and offering reasonable working hours.
  • There's a reason Ford was so successful paying what were at the time "ridiculous" wages and offering reasonable working hours.
    Because he sold cars in any color as long as the color was black?
  • A lot of this bullshit is plain and simple short-sightedness, a lot of it driven by the pressure of stockholders demanding quarter-to-quarter profit increases over any kind of long-term sustainability. A huge element of Ford's success was paying his employees enough money to actually buy his products, creating demand for his supply in the first place.

If companies who make their money off of selling products to the public keep shitting on their own employees, eventually people won't have the income left over to buy their products in the first place. They have to know this, it's super-basic economics, but it's much more profitable for them, personally, to go for short-term gains for the investors while themselves investing in other companies with similar strategies.
  • Apparently poor people shouldn't have air conditioning... http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/10/fox-news-hasselbeck-calls-air-conditioning-the-ugly-side-of-welfare/
    So they would have no problem with old people getting heat stroke? Really? As for the cell phones, they do realize that the program that gives people on food stamps subsidized cell phones was put into law by Reagan, don't they?
  • I thought air conditioning was the cool side of welfare?
  • I thought air conditioning was the cool side of welfare?
    Ba dum, tssh.

• For a party that always talks tough, the GOP sure are in victim mode lately. "Obama is trying to destroy us."
  • Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist, is the founder of Purple Strategies and NewRepublican.org. Follow him on Twitter: @alexcast.

I'm going to take my advise about the Democratic Party from a Republican Strategist.... Just saying...
  • Filter it according to the source. CNN was willing to publish it and there is likely some truth in there even it is a truth not intended to be conveyed by the author.
  • I love that these people honestly would call anything the Democrats have done in, what, three decades, radical or populist.

I'd love to see some actual radical populism, Kingfisher style.
  • edited October 2013
    I actually gave it spin just to see what it was. Fucking hell was that a terrible article. It was really nothing but name-calling, projection and useless anecdotes. It is breathtaking how he routinely blames Obama and the Democrats for failures the Republicans have caused and Obama hasn't been able to fix yet, mostly because the Republicans are blocking any attempt to do so.

The entire premise of the article is laughable. Essentially he is attempting to declare that only a splinter fraction of the Republican party is extreme right, but the entirety of the Democratic part is on the fringe left. This is of course absolutely ludicrous to anyone with half a brain and a more international view of politics. In Europe the Democratic Party would be a center-right party.

Yet, I think the most audacious statements are still him attempting to paint the Republican party as the party of "ffresh, natural, economic growth".
    Post edited by chaosof99 on