This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One good thing about D&D 4th Edition

edited August 2009 in Role Playing Games

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    STOP QUOTING IMAGES FOR NO REASON
    And this what exactly? How can one campaign make a pen and paper WoW any better?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Well, at least it'd be an excellent setting for a pen-and-paper WoW. I used to love the Dark Sun world. Now if they'd just revive Planescape, I'd be even happier.
  • Lordyupa: Stop quoting images. It's annoying, especially when you've done it with particularly large images in the past. If you need to comment on a picture, just use words to reference the image.
  • Still not enough to get me away from Shadowrun and Cthulhu, the two tabletop RPG directions I'm heading in.
  • B u r n i n g W h e e l .
  • Here, have a fire extinguisher.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    @WindUpBird Seriously though, Burning Wheel is the best of the best because any way you look at it, it is just an absolutely revolutionary, amazing, and fun game that isn't rivaled by anything except any game made by Jared Sorensen. If you are ever at a genericon like Connecticon, GenCon, or similar conventions, find a man named Luke Crane who may or may not be running demos of Burning Wheels and take part in them. I highly recommend you do so and I guarantee you, a good time will be had by all.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • That seems valid. Plus, $75 for the 4 core books is a steal, and the supplementary material looks incredible.

Out of curiosity, what other pen&paper RPGs do people here play?
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    That seems valid. Plus, $75 for the 4 core books is a steal, and the supplementary material looks incredible.

Out of curiosity, what other pen&paper; RPGs do people here play?
    That's pretty much it...we only really play Burning Wheel, Paranoia (oh my god, play Paranoia), and anything made by Jared Sorensen from Memento Mori Theatricks.. Try and listen to the episode "What's Wrong with D&D;" and "Burning Wheel" to see how Scrym feels about pen and paper games, or go to see them at a con they are at.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Paranoia
    Holy shit, oh my god. Paranoia looks absolutely incredible. I'm going to buy that book straightaway.
  • Holy shit, oh my god. Paranoia looks absolutely incredible. I'm going to buy that book straightaway.
    Does the computer know about you buying forbidden books, you Communist!
  • Holy shit, oh my god. Paranoia looks absolutely incredible. I'm going to buy that book straightaway.
    You've got to be careful with that one. Some players just don't get that the game is designed to fuck with you. Plus, the setting is very 80's (1984, to be precise), so the younger player may miss a lot of the humour.
  • My group recently dropped our tongue-in-cheek D&D 4e game for a more serious game of Mage the Awakening.

This announcement has made half of them want to go back to D&D once Dark Sun is released.
  • I'm pissed off at what they did to the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and my hope for them doing something positive with Dark Sun is nil.

This is just one giant nerd tease to try to get old school fans to buy the new crap.
  • old school fans to buy the new crap.
    This just reminded me: on U of I's campus, there's a comic book shop that claims to still sell AD&D; books. I don't know how he does it, or if it's a factual claim, but if it is, it rocks.
  • This just reminded me: on U of I's campus, there's a comic book shop that claims to still sell AD&D; books. I don't know how he does it, or if it's a factual claim, but if it is, it rocks.
    Uh, just about every game store I have been to still has old AD&D; books for sale. Why is this special?
  • Uh, just about every game store I have been to still has old AD&D; books for sale. Why is this special?
    Because none of my local game stores do.
  • Uh, just about every game store I have been to still has old AD&D; books for sale. Why is this special?
    Because none of my local game stores do.
    Well, they are easily available on the Internets.
  • edited August 2009
    U of I's campus
    Which U of I, pray tell? Illinois, Indiana, or Iowa? (I'm assuming there's a University of Idaho as well, but does anyone really go there?) (I kid! I kid!)
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • U of I's campus
    Which U of I, pray tell? Illinois, Indiana, or Iowa? (I'm assuming there's a University of Idaho as well, but does anyone really go there?) (I kid! I kid!)
    Duh. Sorry. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
  • I figured you meant UIUC, but that's just where my mind always goes when someone says "U of I" since I'm from downstate IL.
  • Out of curiosity, what other pen&paper; RPGs do people here play?
    Mouseguard, Buringwheel and Exalted (but not for a while)
  • Did anyone ever check out the Fate rpg that Scott used as a thing of the day a while back? I have Spirit of the Century, which is built on Fate 3.0, and, while I never quite got to play it (though character creation was a blast), all indications are that it's a really awesome system. If anyone does check it out, I'd recommend either Spirit of the Century, or the Fate 3.0 SRD -- all the really interesting stuff is in v.3.
  • Did anyone ever check out theFaterpg that Scott used as a thing of the day a while back? I haveSpirit of the Century, which is built on Fate 3.0, and, while I never quite got to play it (though character creation was a blast), all indications are that it's a really awesome system. If anyone does check it out, I'd recommend either Spirit of the Century, or theFate 3.0 SRD-- all the really interesting stuff is in v.3.
    I was going to buy Spirit of the Century because it is so highly praised. I saw copies for sale at Connecticon, and it was a BIG book. While I'm sure the game is great, I really don't have time for a big book like that. I'm much more into the RPGs with smaller books right now. Maybe I'll have time for a game like Spirit of the Century next year. I'll probably eventually get the book no matter what, just to read if not to play.
  • I saw copies for sale at Connecticon, and it was a BIG book. While I'm sure the game is great, I really don't have time for a big book like that.
    It IS a pretty big book, and if the time required to read a book that big is the issue, then that's that. It's not a complicated game, though -- the bulk of the book is a lot of examples about how to apply the game's rules for maximum awesome. The core rules section is less than 80 pages, and the whole book is a pretty quick read, i.e. it's fairly conversational prose.
  • I saw copies for sale at Connecticon, and it was a BIG book. While I'm sure the game is great, I really don't have time for a big book like that.
    It IS a pretty big book, and if the time required to read a book that big is the issue, then that's that. It's not a complicated game, though -- the bulk of the book is a lot of examples about how to apply the game's rules for maximum awesome. The core rules section is less than 80 pages, and the whole book is a pretty quick read, i.e. it's fairly conversational prose.
    There's also the fact that I own a lot of RPG books already, and I've played less than half of them. So...
  • Pathfinder FTW. Running Planescape. 4E is awful. Dark Sun can't change that. I'll place more faith in fan-created 3E conversions if I want to play it.
  • Yes DND sucks for all the reasons Luke and Jared mentioned on that one episode of Geeknights. I still enjoy playing it because the DM's I've played with were smart enough to fill in the gaps in the playing experience, and no one was a dick and was like "My character goes home!" Still I will admit 4e is stupid and combat-centric and they messed up psionics which is my favorite and blah blah blah...
  • I agree with the original post of this thread. I have waited so many, many years for Dark Sun to come back. The new campaign guide is a quality product whether you like 4e or no. There are a few things I'm not too impressed with, and I get the feeling that those are all things on which they had to bow to corporate to tie it in to the core D&D rules. On the other hand, I think they did an artful job. Reskinning the Dragonborn as Dray, for example, makes the Dragonborn - intrinsically bullshit 14-year-old-boy fanservice - fit in better than they do in any other D&D setting, albeit still not perfectly well.

I also think most of you have probably not given 4e a fair chance, and may not have played it at all; and whether you have or not you need to make up your own minds and stop parroting people who have a genuine conflict of interest when it comes to fairly evaluation game systems other than their own. I'm not disagreeing with the points they make, necessarily. I do think 4e is a good game so long as you go into it wanting it to do what it does - heroic fantasy which features combat in a central role - and not wanting it to be a generic role-playing system.

I'm running a 4e Dark Sun game right now, but I admit I have kludged on a little bit of FATE, giving my players some Aspects and some FATE points. It's working out pretty well so far. The biggest problem I'm having is that I can only get everyone together every other week.

I can't believe any of you still prefer 3e to 4. 3rd Ed D&D was a fucking mess that tried to be everything to everyone and wound up being just as awkward and cumbersome to run at 2nd Ed, but without any of the quirky, lovable idiosyncratic character.

Yeah, I said it.
  • I can't believe any of you still prefer 3e to 4. 3rd Ed D&D; was a fucking mess that tried to be everything to everyone and wound up being just as awkward and cumbersome to run at 2nd Ed, but without any of the quirky, lovable idiosyncratic character.
    I hate 4E because it is literally just WoW. It's just a complicated version of a dungeon hack game like Descent.

I like third ed better than 2nd ed because it's actually playable, rules-wise. In 2nd ed it was barely a game because there were so many books people could bring in. Also, you wanted some numbers high, some numbers low, too many different rolls to make. I don't have patience for that anymore. In third ed you still have a taste of that 2nd ed stuff, but almost every roll is a d20 + modifiers vs. obstacle.

If I'm going to play a game that is about going around dungeons, solving puzzles in them, avoiding traps, etc. then I'm probably going to go to 3E or Pathfinder.