This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixology (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Drink)

Comments

• You'll have to go to school again if you want to be a bartender. It's actually a lot of work.
    I also heard that another good way to get in the business is to become a barback and learn the tips of the trade. You can actually be a barback before being old enough to drink.
  • Dude, I, like, just read that short story. (It's good.) If I hadn't, I would be very confused by that statement.
    I still need to read that one, you go read The Man Who Folded Himself. Similar.
  • If you are going to be a bartender, make sure you know how to make a tall hot toddy, for emergencies when a flu-ridden girl comes in from the cold.
  • My standard is Jack and Coke. Add lime if you must.
  • I also heard that another good way to get in the business is to become a barback and learn the tips of the trade. You can actually be a barback before being old enough to drink.
    I warn you, though, there's a reason they're nicknamed "bar-bitch" - it's hard and often unpleasant work, and when it gets busy, expect the Bartenders to be short with you, just do exactly what you're told, correctly, and as fast as you can without messing up, and you'll learn a lot.

And thus ends my involvement in this thread.
  • unrelated pic
    And thus ends my involvement in this thread.
    Aw come on! Don't you drink any mixed/hard drinks like a Manhattan or a Gin?
  • I love that picture.
  • Aw come on! Don't you drink any mixed/hard drinks like a Manhattan or a Gin?
    I don't drink any alcohol period. Also, that picture isn't unrelated, it's a fucking whiskey on the rocks!
    I don't drink any alcohol period. Also, that picture isn't unrelated, it's a fucking whiskey on the rocks!
    Well I couldn't read the moon language and I knew it was a drink of some kind, so how was I supposed to know?
    I can't see the rocks, is the character named "ice cubes" ?
  • Well I couldn't read the moon language and I knew it was a drink of some kind, so how was I supposed to know?
    Aren't you the one who wants to be a bartender? I can't read moon runes either, but I can tell it's a whiskey glass in which a brown liquid if poured! Okay, whiskey's supposed to look more piss-like, but you can't expect that much from a simple drawing.
    I can't see the rocks, is the character named "ice cubes" ?
    It's Cirno, the ice fairy from Touhou. She freezes stuff and is basically a living ice cube from what I know. It's a cute picture, that is all.
  • Has anyone tried the Nordic Rock Ice Cubes? I hate watery drinks and these look neat. We purchased some as an Hanukkah gift for my father-in-law to accompany a bottle of Scotch.
  • Has anyone tried theNordic Rock Ice Cubes? I hate watery drinks and these look neat. We purchased some as an Hanukkah gift for my father-in-law to accompany a bottle of Scotch.
    They work quite well, I like them quite a bit.
  • Here's a playlist of videos I found on youtube about how to make cocktails. Very informative.

How to make cocktails by Eben Freeman of Tailor restaurant in New York City
  • Here's a playlist of videos I found on youtube about how to make cocktails. Very informative.

And if you ever see the words "DrinksTV" attached to a video, immediately run the hell away. If you need anymore proof of this, I provide you with the immortal quote, “Mint Julep is like a Mojito, but with bourbon”
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Here's a playlist of videos I found on youtube about how to make cocktails. Very informative.

And if you ever see the words "DrinksTV" attached to a video, immediately run the hell away. If you need anymore proof of this, I provide you with the immortal quote,“Mint Julep is like a Mojito, but with bourbon”
    Like a Mojito?!! They're not kidding are they? That's just insane, the Mint Julep is nothing like a mojito at all due to the fact that White Rum isn't present in a Mint Julep at all.

EDIT: I've found a channel on Youtube which, in addition to bartending, has how-tos and tutorials on just about any subject at all. The Video Bartending and Bartending Tips are very informative, concise, and a great aid on how to mix drinks and the ins and outs of bartending. Here is an example of the quality in these videos.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Like a Mojito?!! They're not kidding are they? That's just insane, the Mint Julep is nothing like a mojito at all due to the fact that White Rum isn't present in a Mint Julep at all.
    That isn't all that's wrong with that video.
  • edited September 2009
    If you are interested in the mixology and the different liquors I would recommend Behind the Bar Show a podcast by a private bartender call Mr. Martini. His episodes discuss the origins and drinks of specific liquors and ingredients. Also a good episode on bar equipment and a couple of video podcasts.

My advice learn the basics and experiment. Personally I like a dry dirty martini with Bombay Sapphire or just a good bourbon.

"The important thing is the rhythm! Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time." - Nick Charles in the Thin Man
    Post edited by Delam3 on
  • edited September 2009
    Remember, the bartender hates you:

Post edited by Andrew on
  • "The Bartender Hates You" videos were awesome, thanks Andrew!
  • Apparently I need to bring a "mystery drink" to a party tomorrow. Any ideas?
  • Grain alcohol.
  • Antifreeze
  • edited July 2013
    Mix alcohol with something drinkable that isn't alcohol and possible add other kinds of alcohol.

Also:
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Rohypnol
  • edited July 2013
    Cachaça or Tuaca.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Good suggestion from canine. The other suggestion from me is good Rum (Mount Gay would do fine, Swan river if you can find it), or some good whiskey - railway shed timboon sounds dodgey but is lovely. If you want Burbon, go Blantons. Scotch, Dimple makes a good 15 year that's reasonably priced.