This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixology (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Drink)

13»

Comments

• Frangelico.
  • Fernet (unless you like these people).
  • Fuck it, Cask of goon. Cheap goon.
  • I've been wanting to expand my drinking horizons. Rum and Vodka are my go to liquors. I've been thinking about getting into Brandy. What decent inexpensive Brandy would you all recommend. And what's a good cocktail to mix with brandy?
  • edited July 2013
    Okay, so in all seriousness, I guess what I'm looking for is something nice, interesting/unusual, and reasonably inexpensive.

I don't think most of the people there will be particularly knowledgeable or experienced with alcoholic beverages, but then neither am I.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • That's what my first suggestions were all about. Reasonably priced, drinkable, and available to you easily.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah, I figured that was the case. I think I'll go with one of canine's suggestions, since a friend of mine is highly likely to bring rum already, and whisky (though I like it) is less unusual and probably will cost more.

Which one, and how should it be drunk?
  • edited July 2013
    For cachaça I recommend going with caipirinha. It is sort of like a mojito without lime, although that is more of a common explanation than how I would describe it.

Tuaca I prefer straight with no ice as it is quite nice to sip on. I know some people who like it on the rocks though so that may be more your style. Avoid the recipes online or that come with it that state to mix it with something else that is sweet as it is decently sweet itself and that would unbalance the drink.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Yeah, pretty much that.
  • edited July 2013
    So, this? Looks like my kind of drink. Is Cachaça 51 OK? It's $40 at Dan Murphy's, which I suspect is terrible by international standards but pretty good for Australia.
  • edited July 2013
    My dad and I made a few mixes last night. I pulled out a bottle of Reed's (best ginger ale ever, IMO) to see what I could do with it. I came up with a couple of interesting drinks:

Ginger Snaps

2 oz. Smirnoff Raspberry Vodka
    3 oz. Limeade
    1 oz. Reed's Ginger Brew

Just pour it all in a big glass of ice and stir. It's damn tasty.

Another great cocktail to make is to mix Reed's with Guinness. It tastes like coffee and cream.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited July 2013
    So, this? Looks like my kind of drink.
    That is the cocktail.
    Is Cachaça 51 OK? It's $40 at Dan Murphy's, which I suspect is terrible by international standards but pretty good for Australia.
    Cachaça 51 is shit and should be avoided. I am not sure what is available there but some brands to check out would be GRM, Beija, Germana, and Leblon. A couple of those may be pricy if you can find them but way above the quality of Cachaça 51.
  • That might not be a possibility; Australia sucks pretty hard w.r.t. pricing and availability of alcohols.
  • Well, availability isn't so bad, but you gotta know where to look. Pricing though, that's just fucked. Sadly, can't help you too much there, since I've not sourced the stuff locally myself, it's either through bulk distributors or ordered online.
  • edited July 2013
    I think Germana is available there at least as I believe someone I know tried it there but I am not sure of the availability near you or pricing. They have several varieties with the 2 years and 10 years variants being the better of them that I have tried but at an added cost.

Edit: This the is the 2 years one I was talking about. I am not sure how deliver works, it is not a thing they do in my area. That site seems to have a couple other variants as well but not the 10 years one I prefer.
  • Tuaca it is then.
  • I recently got curious about Mead after playing some Skyrim of all things. Is that any good? Does it pair well with other liquids if I want to do some mixing?
  • I recently got curious about Mead after playing some Skyrim of all things. Is that any good? Does it pair well with other liquids if I want to do some mixing?
    It's quite tasty, if you like the taste of honey.

Well-made mead is basically a sweet white wine, so mix accordingly. Make a braggot by blending mead and beer. Cyser is mead and hard cider (usually fermented together, but you can probably mix). Metheglin is mead with spices and herbs. Melomel is mead with fruit.
  • In 1974 the US Forest Service made a cocktail construction chart.

Esquire said:

Royalties might be due to the family of late Forest Service Region 8 Engineer Cleve "Red" Ketcham, who passed away in 2005 but has since been commemorated in the National Museum of Forest Service History. It's Ketcham's signature scribbled in the center of the chart, and according to Sharon Phillips, a longtime Program Management Analyst for Region 8 (which covers Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma and Puerto Rico, though Ketcham worked out of its Atlanta office), who conferred with her engineering department, there's little doubt Ketcham concocted the chart in question.

Article. While it's pretty cool, the name is just a coincidence, right? No way that guy could lift 10 Pokemon.