This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

9/11

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
I know it's kind of a somber topic, but it's appropriate on this grey and rainy day. I just wanted to know, does anyone here have any reflections on September 11th? Like where you were, what you saw, etc?

Comments

• I think it was the last week of summer vacation when I was 15. At the time I was kind of into skateboarding and around three o'clock in the afternoon (local austrian time, mind you) another kid showed up at the local skatepark and told us about it. Most of us thought it was just a tragic accident. I then saw the pictures and heard about it being a deliberate terrorist attack when I got home in the evening and the only thing on my mind was "oh shit, this means another war costing thousands of lives".

Something also related, a friend of mine in my class used to go by the nickname "Ozama" in ICQ and elsewhere before the attacks. He was really just a dumb name and he didn't identify with his Bin Laden's ideology either. Just juvenile punk kid humor. Needless to say he changed it pretty quickly afterwards.
  • Y'know, I did a search to make sure it hadn't already been done. But someone had to go and come up with a creative title.
  • I'd like to thank my school district again for the total media black out at my high school and pretending nothing happened. Even 8 years later that was a fucking retarded move, good job.
  • Y'know, I did a search to make sure it hadn't already been done. But someone had to go and come up with a creative title.
    I know. But I thought to link it anyway since you were interesting in knowing.
  • But someone had to go and come up with a creative title.
    Because "Where were you" hasn't been said in every damned 9-11 opening BAWWW for the last 8 fucking years. You know what happened in these 8 years? More people died.

I'll tell you something. Your tragedy is just as unimportant and insignificant as the tragedy of 29,000 children under the age of five (5) dying every day. Instead, you mourn a mere 3000 adults dying, adults who already have fulfilled part of their future, whereas these children haven't even had the chance to think about it. But that is rarely thought about, since hey, those kids didn't die with a bunch of bricks collapsing.

So would you kindly shut the fuck up and let people decide for themselves what they find important? You're not starting a fun discussion, you're not starting an interesting discussion, you're not starting anything that even can be discussed and you're not even informing anyone that today is September the 11th, the day after September 10th and the day before September 12th, big deal, just a day.
  • Because "Where were you" hasn't been said in every damned 9-11 opening BAWWW for the last 8 fucking years. You know what happened in these 8 years? More people died.

I'll tell you something. Your tragedy is just as unimportant and insignificant as the tragedy of 29,000 children under the age of five (5) dying everyday. Instead, you mourn a mere 3000 adults dying, adults who already have fulfilled part of their future, whereas these children haven't even had the chance to think about it. But that is rarely thought about, since hey, those kids didn't die with a bunch of bricks collapsing.

So would you kindly shut the fuck up and let people decide for themselves what they find important? You're not starting a fun discussion, you're not starting an interesting discussion, you're not starting anything that even can be discussed and you're not even informing anyone that today is September the 11th, the day after September 10th and the day before September 12th, big deal, just a day.
    I'll ask you kindly to fuck off. Thanks. ^_^
  • So would you kindly shut the fuck up and let people decide for themselves what they find important? You're not starting a fun discussion, you're not starting an interesting discussion, you're not starting anything that even can be discussed and you're not even informing anyone that today is September the 11th, the day after September 10th and the day before September 12th, big deal, just a day.
    I'd suggest you settle down. At best, you've inspired me to finish making another probationary status other than simply for grammar and spelling.
    edited September 2009
    An addition, thanks Churba:
    churba: It was a terrible thing, but so are so many other things - I mean, shit, they only ever celibrate the decade aniversaries when you're married, and even they get less frequent as you go on, and that's a good thing - why scream and cry about 9/11 every year, when you won't celebrate love every year?
    After me saying that crying for the last 8 years is getting ridiculous, skip a few years at least.
    I'll ask you kindly to fuck off. Thanks. ^_^
    I'm just saying to keep personal crap to yourself.
    I'd suggest you settle down. At best, you've inspired me to finish making another probationary status other than simply for grammar and spelling.
    Not much to settle down from, but I love seeing you care about insignificances.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Not much to settle down from, but I love seeing you care about insignificances.
    Insignificances? Are you joking? Dudes drove planes into our god dam'n hometown. Big ones. Into big buildings. Not to trivialize the lives lost that day, but the damage it does extends far beyond loss of life or property. I can assure you that if similar tragedy befell your place of residence you would have a significantly different take on the matter.
  • Not much to settle down from, but I love seeing you care about insignificances.
    You very often straddle the fine line between annoyance and banned. I'd suggest you calm down your language, even if you personally don't feel agitated. Consider this a warning of sorts.
  • A tragedy's a tragedy, Nine. It seems in really poor taste to pull one-upsmanship on the subject of mass deaths. Yes, the fact that so many children die every day is horrific and should be paid more attention. Does that make the deaths of "a mere 3000 adults" any less significant to the people who lost those adults? No, that is irrelevant. Both are tragedies that should not be, and both deserve respects paid.

If you feel you're not connected enough to the 9/11 deaths to care, then fine; leave the people who do feel that connection be and go start your own discussion about what you feel is important. I'll probably even join you there because I'll probably not hang around here long myself. I personally don't feel much emotional connection to 9/11 either. However, I know that it is very significant in the minds of many people, so I'm not going to go piss all over them by going "This tragedy is worse than yours, so fuck off and stop feeling!" I'm normally pretty supportive of your blunt-but-true assholery, but this time I think you're just plain out of line. Get out, Nine. Just get out.
    Look at me! I decry things to appear more intelligent and mature than everyone else! Pay attention to me!

Eat a dick.
  • edited September 2009
    Not much to settle down from, but I love seeing you care about insignificances.
    People are people. Lives are lives. If you want to argue compassion for children that die every day, you should show the same amount of respect for the people (PEOPLE, not "adults") who died 8 years ago and those that mourn them. You don't garner respect for your cause or change minds with a tirade like that. You just make people angry at you.
    So would you kindly shut the fuck up and let people decide for themselves what they find important?
    I'm not telling anyone what to decide or what to feel. I'm not forcing anyone to look at this thread OR reply to it. You are free to make your own decisions, regardless of the existence of a thread titled "9/11" on the freaking geeknights forum.

So would you "kindly" practice what you preach and allow me to talk about what I want to talk about on this forum without running the risk of having my character assaulted? Like your little rant up there wasn't at all "personal"?

This day in history was important to me. I was there. I saw it from a window. I saw people jumping to their deaths. I watched the most horrific and traumatizing thing I had personally seen in my entire life that day. THAT is an important topic to ME, and I am allowed to decide that on my own AND share it, just as you are allowed to decide it was insignificant.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited September 2009
    Oh dear, I can guess from the distribution of blue boxes that this thread is rapidly beginning to smoulder at the edges.

While I disagree with the perceived American (or most first world countries) disproportionate view of tragedy, this isn't really the time for discussion of such things. If anyone remembers those fundamentalists who went to campaign at the funerals of gay soldiers, you get the idea.

While this is an emotional subject, would people please try their best to meet differing views with calm and reason. It may serve as good practice.

Coincidentally, today is my parent's anniversary. They are probably going to change it on the sly.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • While I of course do not want to downplay the events of 9/11 itself, I do sympathize with nine in many ways. The amount of attention paid to 9/11 is disproportionate to reality. There are far worse tragedies in the world going on right now, like say Darfur, and far worse tragedies than 9/11 in recent memory, say Rwanda.

There are also a million bigger problems in the world than terrorism. We should be worrying a lot more about infections in hospitals than we are about terrorists.

While 9/11 was tragic indeed, and all respect should be paid to all those affected by those events, let's be honest with ourselves. The amount of attention paid to 9/11 is only because it was a tragedy affecting large recognizable landmarks. It's also because it was a tragedy involving mostly rich white people in the USA.

The world would be a lot better place if attention were distributed more proportionately. Katrina and the tsunami were a lot worse than 9/11, and they're already being forgotten. Meanwhile 9/11 is going to probably continue to haunt us for decades.
  • There aren't enough people remembering Lockerbie either, now that I think about it...
  • I've got to agree with Scott's comments and also Nine's views.
    I believe there was a significant residual effect of the event due to a major landmark that can be seen in older movies compared to newer ones and even just the day to day skyline.
    Plus of course it's news media driven from the US so it gets mentioned worldwide.
  • Or maybe it's because it was an attack on US soil, which is a super rare occurrence.
  • Which all boils down to an event's immediacy taking precedent over it's effect.
  • edited September 2009
    @ Nine: I am horrified by your attitude. While the sentiment that ongoing atrocities and suffering deserve attention is perfectly valid, to make it appear that 9/11 is somehow invalid because only "3000 adults" died is monstrous. 3,000 people died. 3,000 families were directly effected and several nations were indirectly effected. 9/11 should be remembered, not only to mourn those 3,000 people, but to reevaluate the response to the event. 9/11 should remind those that have comfortable, seemingly safe and stable lives that we are connected to the greater and harsher world. It reminds us that we are global citizens as well as American citizens and we must work harder to limit the suffering of the global community as a whole.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Which all boils down to an event's immediacy taking precedent over it's effect.
    I think I understand what you mean to say, but I don't think "immediacy" is the correct word.
  • Or maybe it's because it was an attack on US soil, which is a super rare occurrence.
    Not that rare. If you count domestic terrorists, eco-terrorists and shooting and murders done because of political, religious or fascist beliefs, it's not that rare. Some gets more hype than others.

Hell, even when it comes to 9-11 people talk about NYC and not DC or the field in PA. Hype and marketability.
  • Not that rare. If you count domestic terrorists, eco-terrorists and shooting and murders done because of political, religious or fascist beliefs, it's not that rare. Some gets more hype than others.
    By a foreign power, don't split hairs.
  • edited September 2009
    Hell, even when it comes to 9-11 people talk about NYC and not DC or the field in PA. Hype and marketability.
    I think it stems from the fact that more people died in NYC than in DC and in the PA crash and the sheer magnitude of two giant buildings being destroyed. It is an iconic image.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited September 2009
    There are worse tragedies but whats the point in comparing? Who want's to win in a most tragic events competition? It sucks.

Hmm, where was I? It was my first week of college. I was walking to my fine arts class from 24th street to 23rd street. I usually see the twin towers really well. I wasn't looking for them though. On my walk I over heard people saying things like " I thought this was a no fly zone?" Everyone was talking about the same thing and I thought it was strange so I looked up. I saw one of the twin towers looked like a smoking cigarette. I wanted to think that it was too early for people to be in there, just to give me some peace of mind. I was also a bit late so I just hurried to class. I was worried about what I saw but I figured, it's not that bad and hoped for the best. It's new york, shit happens and I'm used to it. I just didn't know how big the shit was at the time.

So, in my art class we were getting ready to paint some butt naked people but the class wouldn't start. My teacher was just walking in circles telling us to wait. Then some guy walked in the room and said these words exactly "The twin towers are no longer in existence" and that we should go home. Everyone was just quiet. Some people cared some people didn't care but most were silent. Maybe it just didn't settle in yet. Anyway, the plan was to go home. Since there were no trains available anymore I had to join the biggest exodus out of the city I've ever seen. It was a crowd of long faces but I have to admit walking through Manhattan with no cars and people all over the place was an experience. It was scary though. If they had taken down the towers who's to say the bridge I was walking across wouldn't get dropped too. After I crossed the bridge I waited at some gas station to get picked up and driven home.I wasn't in the messy part of town. My friend actually got caught in it and was covered in white dust. He ran through subway tunnels to get away from the walls of debris.

The weeks after that Monday were more depressing then the actual day. I think cartoon network was the only channel that didn't constantly replay videos of people deciding they'd rather Jump off the building then get burned alive. Or people dieing because they got hit by a corpse. Or shoes that were found with feet still in them. Or the family members posting pictures of their loved ones all over the place. The ones that just wanted to believe that maybe, just maybe their loved ones skipped out of work that day and went camping or something. The stories were endless. Every week there was some new horrifying story. The one I kept thinking about was this man who was helping disabled people in wheel chairs down the tower's stairwell. That is until, he realized what he was trying to do was impossible and decided to ditch helpless people to save his own ass. He left them to die. I don't want to be in that situation ever.
    Now I have to go visit Cutefeed because remembering all this sucks. It was somewhat refreshing though. I'm glad it's so far in the passed.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • This reminds me of how impressed I was with how The Onion handled 9/11. I was reading The Onion regularly at the time, and I remember thinking "Man, how are they going to pull this one off? They're not going to just ignore it, are they?" And they managed to make jokes about a horrible tragedy, with class.
  • @Mankoon, what school did you go to?

I remember the wall at Penn Station, filled with missing posters and photos, and even letters. It was depressing to walk past it so often. I remember one day though, I saw a letter from a class in Japan taped to the wall with a photo and a thousand origami cranes hung beside it, giving us their sympathies and wishing well for our country. I thought that was really sweet.
  • SVA. The west side building mostly.
    I wish I thought of making origami cranes. All I did was put a candle out.
  • SVA! ^^ I asked because I was a freshman at SVA at the time too (and I hated the west side building). I was going downtown to buy animation supplies that day, but my mom asked me to stop at her Herald Square-area office first, and that's where I wound up when it happened.