This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do you do when you're sick?

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Okay, so here's the deal. I hardly ever get sick. If I get sick twice a year, that's a pretty high number for me.
But, Boy, am I sick now.

I've been ill for the past few days, often at the point where I can barely stand, or eat, or think coherently. As of right now, Firefox is doing overtime with the spell check and I'm kinda wobbling in my seat. I have a fever of 103, it broke last night, but it came back up. Time is kinda flexy right now. So is diastance and ba;ance. I'm not sure who gave whatever I've got to me, But If I find out, I'm gonna kill em.

I'm taking ever reducers, multivitamins, and drinking lots of wwater. I really hope this goes away by tomorrow so I can go to Mikomicon.

What do you do to help expedite recovery from being sick?

Take your time. I'm gonna put on some geeknights and go back to bed.

Comments

• Sleeping is just about the best you can do. Drink tea, too.
  • edited September 2009
    Sleep. Drink apple cinnamon Thera Flu with Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider. Sleep. Eat soup.

That's pretty much what I did all week after PAX.

Hope you feel better.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2009
    Sleep, keep eating (even if it's just ramen noodles, your body needs fuel) and get plenty of fluids (nothing that will dehydrate you like beer, coffee, or soda).

Sounds like you have the flu (swine or regular, who knows). I got the flu many years ago and I do remember it sucking hard core. I too don't get sick often, but the flu layed me out pretty good.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I haven't been eriously sick in memory since I was a child.. All those sick days I'm missing out on.
  • Call a doctor. That's a much better way to consult help than asking the internet.
  • edited September 2009
    I'd assume he's already done that, and all the major issues should be covered; that leaves minutiae one doesn't go asking a doctor about.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Read comics and play video games. I also go to a doctor if appropriate.
  • I can't remember the last time I've been sick, other than faking it just so I could skip on high school classes. I however do remember what one must do when sick. 1) Don't go browsing the internet, don't go reading comics, don't go playing video games, don't go watching TV, just get your ass in bed and sleep. If you can do shit, you're not sick, you're just whining. 2) Drink a lot of orange juice, or similar, to keep hydrated, taking in caffeine crap and/or sugary crap ain't going to help. 3) Eat, soup, broth's good. I have a bottle with basically instant broth for when I get sick. Add hot water, eat, go back to sleep.

Also, sleep.
  • I whine a whole fucking lot.
    Nothing wrong with that, just don't go calling it 'sick', since obviously you aren't doing much to get better.
    Yeah, you do. Oh, when you are sick? I thought whiny was your default state. :p
  • I can never get to sleep when I'm sick, lucky people. I usually just sit in bed with my headphones.
  • edited September 2009
    You clearly weren't sick enough.
    EDIT: Back in mah day, before the war, when we were sick, we had to do all we could to stop ourselves from falling asleep so we could plough the fields.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2009
    You clearly weren't sick enough.
    Uhh, I've had a 105 fever, chicken pox, and several flus all in the last two years. If I had ended up sleeping through the 105 fever I probably would have been declared legally dead.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Some people like attention when they're sick, I just want to be left the hell alone.
    • Eat
      Sleep
      Meds
      Sleep
      Eat
      Drink water and OJ
      Sleep
      Eat
      Whine
      Sleep
    Well, that's what I do.
  • This may sound a little weird, but sexual intercourse while sick can be a great experience. You've got to have something like the flu where you ache all over, have the chills and are hyper-sensitive to touch. Your partner should also be willing, but I suppose that's a good rule of thumb for sex even when not sick.

When alone, I enjoy watching Jimmy Stewart films and eating fast food. I guess masturbation's an option.
    Yeah, you do. Oh, when you are sick? I thought whiny was your default state. :p
    MOOOOOOOOOOOM! KATE'S BEING MEAN! MAKE HER STOP! WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

When I'm sick, I turn into a giant baby. Rym and Scott have firsthand experience with this.
  • MOOOOOOOOOOOM! KATE'S BEING MEAN! MAKE HER STOP! WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

When I'm sick, I turn into a giant baby. Rym and Scott have firsthand experience with this.
    It really surprises me that Pete, the master of metal and manliness; the Ayatollah Rock 'n' Rolla, is reduced to a baby when sick.
  • MOOOOOOOOOOOM! KATE'S BEING MEAN! MAKE HER STOP! WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It really surprises me that Pete, the master of metal and manliness; the Ayatollah Rock 'n' Rolla, is reduced to a baby when sick.
    Dude, microbes are hard-fucking-core. The Spanish Flu outbreak? The Black Death? Ebola? Microbes are the most brutal form of life out there.
  • Damn. I was gonna say "lay in bed and practice my moaning," but it looks like Pete basically beat me to it.

Aside from that, Traditional Medicinals teas are the shit. They have two in particular that are great; Throat Coat for when you have a sore throat and Breathe Easy for when you're congested or have bronchial trouble. (That one is also great for when I have asthma trouble and don't have an inhaler handy.) Throat Coat has slippery elm bark, which actually coats your throat and helps the pain and scratchiness. Breathe Easy has licorice root and peppermint in it, which both help stimulate opening of the respiratory pathways. This isn't crazy homeopathy shit...these two teas do the things I just said. Any other claims they make, I definitely cannot vouch for. You can usually find these in the tea section at a regular grocery store.
  • edited September 2009
    "lay in bed and practice my moaning,"
    I can help with that.

That Breathe Easy tea, in addition to helping clear up congestion, is wicked tasty. I'm also a big fan of peppermint tea with a bit of honey; it's very pleasant when I'm feeling ill.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Ramen always helps me get over sickness. Otherwise, I tend to listen to podcasts/watch movies in bed (nothing too mentally intensive).

By the way, if you continue to feel sick, go see a doctor (get a friend to take you). Normal flu/colds only last at most a couple of days, and it could be something a bit more serious than that.
  • Normal flu/colds only last at most a couple of days, and it could be something a bit more serious than that.
    Definitely...if it's pretty evident that it's a typical virus and the doc will just tell me to go home and rest, I will usually not go in and waste $30. However, if you have a high fever for a sustained period of time or anything that would make you suspect it's not a routine virus, definitely go get looked at. ...I should qualify this by saying I have 2 MDs in my family that I can call and consult should I have the need, so I often don't go to the doc for things that most people would.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    I usually eat some soup (my favorites are Golden Mushroom, Minestrone, and the classic Chicken Noodle Soup) and I stay in bed and put on some soft, calming music; usually ones that have an Oriental flavor to them. If I'm up to it, I'll occasionally read quite a bit.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Miso soup is my soup of choice. I always feel bit better with some sick or not.
  • I don't whine when I'm sick, but I am a complete wimp when it comes sickness. Even if I just get a light cold I become very grumpy and depressed, and spend most of my time laying in bed listening to music and podcasts. Alternatively, if I can't sleep, I become totally delirious, and when I become delirious I get creative. A couple of good songs have come out of me being feverish.
  • edited September 2009
    When I'm sick, I usually sleep a whole lot. I completely lose interest in work, which is a bad thing as I do have to do some of it each day. This week it's been:
    -sleep
    -make some oat meal/soup/tea!
    -whine (to myself, as I live alone) about dishes
    -do dishes
    -listen to a podcast or something as I eat
    -take a shower, to warm up and feel clean
    -read/watch movies (I'm currently re-torrenting a bunch of stuff after a hard drive crash a while ago)
    -sleep
    -think about work
    -sleep
    -go to cafe, order coffee, smoke cigarette, don my work hat and do 2-3 hours of work (coffee + cigarettes wake me from my sleepy/sick state so I can actually concentrate on GETTING SHIT DONE)
    -go home
    -make lunch/dinner (soup, pastina, or something with rice and veggies. also, tea)
    -take a shower, because woman! ...
    -make bed
    -sleep
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • -make bed
    I haven't made my bed in ages. I really don't see the point anymore. I really don't care if people see an unmade bed.
  • -make bed
    I haven't made my bed in ages. I really don't see the point anymore. I really don't care if people see an unmade bed.
    The same! I really don't understand the point of making the bed at all. As long as you don't leave the sheets and blankets on the floor, who cares? I guess if you had a guest room, you should make it so it looks nice as the bed is rarely slept in. But if you have a bed that is frequently used, there is no reason to make it if nobody is looking at it.