This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do you do when you're sick?

124»

Comments

• Throughout childhood I had mononucleosis. I started having it in around the third grade, and for some reason it kept coming back every 6 months. This happened 5 more times, until it finally went away and I haven't had it since, but my immune system in still recovering.
  • edited September 2009
    I have chronic migrates with visual auras (which are most often manifested as negative scotomas and partial loss of vision). Once I get the auras, I start feeling debilitating pain within thirty minutes of symptoms (like fucking clockwork, mind you). Usually I cannot function for several hours while the migraine persists. Luckily, they are quite infrequent (only a handful per year), but I have yet to lock down what triggers them.

Also, I had a severe reaction to poison ivy in elementary school which spread to my face and swelled my eyes shut. I was on a steroid regiment for about a month.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've had a few puncture wounds in my lifetime.
    Those are the worst, mostly because you have the initial "hey, it's not that bad, I'm barely even bleeding," moment, followed by the realization that the two small cuts are actually one large hole...

I can clean and dress even a fairly severe slash or scrape so long as it isn't too deep, and I can (now) even manage a deep cut fairly well depending on the nature and disposition, but there is no way I would be able to clean out a puncture wound. Watching a doctor almost lose his Q-tip inside my leg made me thankful for local anesthetic. ^_~
  • I have chronic migrates with visual auras (which are most often manifested as negative scotomas and partial loss of vision). Once I get the auras, I start feeling debilitating pain within thirty minutes of symptoms (like fucking clockwork, mind you). Usually I cannot function for several hours while the migraine persists. Luckily, they are quite infrequent (only a handful per year), but I have yet to lock down what triggers them.
    Have you seen a Neurologist for this?
  • Have you seen a Neurologist for this?
    Not yet as it hasn't become anything more than a nuisance yet. I have them so infrequently that they barely effect my everyday life. Should they occur more frequently in the future, I will take a look into it.
  • Andrew, I have similar migraines and with similar infrequency. The only difference is that I have aural auras (usually it sounds like a high pitched, unrelenting tone) that presents 20 - 30 minutes prior to the pain. Mine were diagnosed as hormonal migraines and I found that Relpax taken at the first sign prevented the migraine (as long as I took it as soon as I experienced an aura). If I take it part way into the pain, it prevents the pain from getting any worse.
  • I'm curious to know the worst anyone's ever been sick here
    1) Malignant melanoma and secondary lymphoma and associated chemo (it is a weird situation when the treatment feels worse than the disease does), 2) Hypothermia.
    How old were you?
  • edited September 2009
    I was 12 when I had hypothermia. I was 18 and 24 (two years ago) when I had cancer.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I was 12 when I had hypothermia. I was 18 and 24 (two years ago) when I had cancer.
    Being a survivor from cancer (did your cancer go into remission or did the chemo destroy it?), can you tell me how you found out you had cancer? I'd like to know because I know next to nothing about cancer and I'd like to know.
  • I was 12 when I had hypothermia. I was 18 and 24 (two years ago) when I had cancer.
    Wow. I am awed that you're such a survivor.
  • edited September 2009
    a survivor from cancer (did your cancer go into remission or did the chemo destroy it?), can you tell me how you found out you had cancer? I'd like to know because I know next to nothing about cancer and I'd like to know.
    Identifying cancer really depends on the type of cancer you have/are looking for. I found out I had cancer when I was 18 and hit by a car while I was walking in a crosswalk on campus. It was sheer luck. The second time it was found when suspicious freckles/moles were biopsied (malignant melanoma is a skin cancer). My cancer is in remission thanks to chemo.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    So what are you expecting for when you're 30? Hypothesis, Kate can't die due to illness.
    So what are you expecting for when you're 30? Hypothesis, Kate can't die due to illness.
    At 30 I expect a tumor that will move from my uterus into a crib. ^_~
    Let's not test the theory that I can't die from illness.
  • Yeah, diagnosed with cancer after being injured by a car. Fantastic luck isn't it? Gah, Kate, you are a tough cookie, considering all the crud you've gone through.
    edited September 2009
    At 30 I expect a tumor that will move from my uterus into a crib. ^_~
    BEST ILLNESS EV-wait, what? That's how you think about kids? D=
    Let's not test the theory that I can't die from illness.
    Don't worry, we only need one case to disprove the hypothesis.
    Kate, you are a tough cookie
    Kate == cookie
    *stares hungrily*
    Post edited by ... on
  • At 30 I expect a tumor that will move from my uterus into a crib. ^_~
    That's how I've always thought about pregnancy, just a benign tumour that is expelled by birth.
    Kate has the same regenerative powers of Wolverine, at 30 she accidentally stabs someone in heated argument with a bony claw that emerges from between 2 of her knuckles.
  • At 30 I expect a tumor that will move from my uterus into a crib. ^_~
    BEST ILLNESS EV-wait, what? That's how you think about kids? D=
    Pretty sure she's just being playful. ;)
  • Babies are definitely parasitic and not benign. Even if they don't end up killing her at some point during her pregnancy, the pregnant woman's body is drastically affected by having that baby in there. If a regular tumor (and not a baby) had caused the same symptoms as pregnancy, it would not be classified as benign.

Not that I am saying babies are inherently bad or anything...but anybody who goes into pregnancy thinking it is going to be easy has a very abrupt enlightening in their near future.
  • I was about to say that a baby is more like a parasite than a tumor. In fact, human babies are a unique parasite in that they continue to be parasitic for an extended period of time after being separated from the host. :P