This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spotify.

Comments

• So hows this better than grooveshark or pandora?
    I haven't tried grooveshark, so can't speak to that. As for pandora, it's different in that you can search for specific songs, artists, etc and listen to whatever you want (at least, within their library). There's also playlist creation and playlist sharing and stuff I haven't messed with yet.
    You can do all that in grooveshark. And it has an impressive foreign selection.
    I haven't tried grooveshark, so can't speak to that. As for pandora, it's different in that you can search for specific songs, artists, etc and listen to whatever you want (at least, within their library). There's also playlist creation and playlist sharing and stuff I haven't messed with yet.
    It doesn't get the RIAA pissed off?
    Ah, cool. I'm trying out grooveshark right now, which seems to be browser-based (spotify being a downloadable client, which has access to your own library as well as its stuff). Spotify also wants to synch my files for me with remote devices over wifi, which I don't want it to do.
  • edited July 2011
    There's tons of foreign music. Search for Guitar Wolf. Or Neu. Or any number of other foreign groups. Just because they don't have it yet doesn't mean they never will.
    I don't know about other bands you cite, but Guitar Wolf has an American distributor. They're more likely to be on a service like this than many other Japanese bands.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • Ah, cool. I'm trying out grooveshark right now, which seems to be browser-based (spotify being a downloadable client, which has access to your own library as well as its stuff). Spotify also wants to synch my files for me with remote devices over wifi, which I don't want it to do.
    By access to your own library, you mean it's its own version of itunes with song management that plays your local songs and can be mixed in with its streaming songs? Or do you mean it just reads your songs and trys to find the same songs through their service, with songs that it cant find not playable through its own client?
  • edited July 2011
    There's tons of foreign music. Search for Guitar Wolf. Or Neu. Or any number of other foreign groups. Just because they don't have it yet doesn't mean they never will.
    I don't know about other bands you cite, but Guitar Wolf has an American distributor. They're more likely to be on a service like this than many other Japanese bands.
    If you email Spotify, they reply and try to get it on the service, you just need to ask.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Grooveshark works off file-sharing. Spotify does not and it's legal.
  • edited July 2011
    Ah, cool. I'm trying out grooveshark right now, which seems to be browser-based (spotify being a downloadable client, which has access to your own library as well as its stuff). Spotify also wants to synch my files for me with remote devices over wifi, which I don't want it to do.
    By access to your own library, you mean it's its own version of itunes with song management that plays your local songs and can be mixed in with its streaming songs? Or do you mean it just reads your songs and trys to find the same songs through their service, with songs that it cant find not playable through its own client?
    Yup, access to your own songs, as if it's an iTunes variant. In fact, the interface looks a lot like iTunes.

EDIT: I have noticed that it can't seem to play some of my songs. Seems like it's identifying some files despite not having codecs for them. Or maybe something else is amiss. So I just told it not to make my own library available to me.
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • Grooveshark works off file-sharing. Spotify does not and it's legal.
    A file sharing system has its pros and cons and afaik grooveshark is also legal.
    Yup, access to your own songs, as if it's an iTunes variant. In fact, the interface looks a lot like iTunes.
    How does it work with syncing to ipods?
  • Yup, access to your own songs, as if it's an iTunes variant. In fact, the interface looks a lot like iTunes.
    How does it work with syncing to ipods?
    Dunno, I don't have an iPod. But online help within Spotify points me here for info on synching with iPods.
  • afaik grooveshark is also legal.[Citation needed]
  • Signup link for the first person to get it. Also, I have invites, so whisper me your email if you want in.
  • I also have a bevy of invites! Feel free to whisper me, as well.
  • So I finally got an account and it basically made me sign up with my Facebook profile. It never asked me to create a username. Now I have some random number assigned as my Username. You also can't change it. To do so you have to re-register. To re-register, they ask you to create a Facebook profile. Am I missing something? Ugh.

Other than that, it's pretty enjoyable so far.
  • Why do you need a username? Just sign in with Facebook every time.
  • Just a personal preference. Also to log into Spotify on my iPhone, I have to use that number. I hope the iPhone remembers that thing. The fact they don't offer something like that is annoying.
  • They decided to force all new customers to have Facebook accounts. I don't have to have one linked because I signed up before this bullshit requirement. If they apply it to me at any point, I'm cancelling my paid account immediately and never looking back.
  • I realized how they generated that bullshit number for my username. Because my Facebook username was rochelle.mantanona, it was too damn long so they made it into a number. I noticed that all my FB friend's Spotify usernames are the same usernames from Facebook.

I wish they would have at least asked. I would have gladly changed my Facebook username.
  • edited February 2012
    The CEO of Spotify is a really smart guy and makes some excellent points. Very worthwhile read.
    I’d also like to address people who think they’ll gain sales by not being on Spotify. There’s not a shred of data to suggest that. In fact, all the information available points to streaming services helping to drive sales.
    [...]
    Spotify users are the exact same people [who] used to listen to music every day on YouTube, whose entire music collection was pulled off BitTorrent sites. By offering them a compelling music service that allows them to discover hundreds of new artists, not just their favorites pulled from YouTube or [pirated], we’re seeing millions move back to listening to music legally after years of being left out in the cold.

They’re helping pay a ton of money back to the industry. You’re talking 10 million active users, 2.5 million subscribers — most of them paying $120 a year, which is double the amount of your average iTunes user.

Do you really want to hold back your album from people who are finally paying for music again? If you think that by doing so you’re getting them to buy your album on a CD, or as an album download, again, there’s absolutely no evidence to back that theory up. Your album’s getting shared en masse over BitTorrent, over YouTube. It’s there, right now — but you decide that it’s the paying, loyal music fans that should lose out. It makes no sense.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I've gone a free trial binge on all the music streaming services. Spotify had the widest selection of available music for me. I didn't care for it's mobile app though. It crashes every now and again and it's main focus was on playlists only. It also doesn't feature Spotify artist and genre radio. Which I like to use when I'm looking for something new to listen to. I'm currently on a free trial for Rdio. Rdio's mobile app has more functionality but has less artist choices to choose from. It's recommend feature is pretty nice. I could care less about the follower feature set. I've also tried MOG and Rhapsody. Which both had their pros and cons. MOG is almost comparable to Spotify's selection in music. At least for the stuff I like to listen to.
  • So, Google's now doing a Spotify-like "all you can eat" music service. I find the interface a bit better than Spotify's, it integrates with your previous Google Music library, and it's $2/month cheaper if you sign up now.

(Plus no bullshit facebook login shit)
  • I'll mess with the trial for a month I guess and then decided whether to switch. My impression so far is that it doesn't have quite the music selection that Spotify has. Also not a fan of the fact that it's browser-based. Also it doesn't scrobble to Last.fm(yet).

I wonder, if I don't pay for the streaming service, will I still be able to listen to my existing Google Music account uploads?
  • It looks like you will.
  • I will not be getting this since THEY NO LIKE CUSTOM TAGS!
  • I just wish that I could have them scan my music library into google music rather than having to upload it. Luckily most of my library is already uploaded, but it would still be nice.
  • Yeah, Spotify is fulfilling my music needs nicely. I'll move if this has something significant to offer. I doubt it will.

Speaking of all this, I was in a Reddit thread that was bashing Spotify, and the chorus of "there's no good death/black metal out there" rang out. Name off 25 bands that I have in my queue, and then someone said, "I meant underground stuff, like [band x] and [band y]." So I hopped on Spotify and found both of the named underground bands and their entire collection. Took me seconds.

The response? "Well, sure, but they don't have FLAC."

It's interesting to see goalposts move that quickly.
  • Isn't Metal Blade not on Spotify?
  • edited May 2013
    There are certainly some notable Spotify omissions. But they are notable only because the artist has made a point of not putting their music on there for newsbait. Spotify's collection of underground and independent music is actually really impressive.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Isn't Metal Blade not on Spotify?
    Sort of.