This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spotify.

13»

Comments

• Metal Blade you say?

• I will sign up for the free month at least.
  • So I subscribe to Spotify Premium and it has basically satisfied all my music listening needs. However I might possibly change over to iTunes when they roll out their music service. From what it seems it basically gives you access to the entire iTunes catalog which sounds pretty awesome. iTunes has a larger selection than most other streaming services from my experience.

However one thing seems kinda strange to me. It says that it will use your cloud space to cache the songs you want to listen to. The issue with this is, with backups, I have like... 2-3 GB available. If I can set a maximum and iTunes will manage the space for me then that would be fine, but I'm slightly worried it might turn into a "oh just get our higher storage tier" situation.
  • I don't know why anyone would go for iTunes radio, from their current service.
    I use Google Music All Access so on top of the base radio you also have every other user's published music play list and anything from Youtube music (literally everything eg. on the release date of the Hotline Miami 2 Soundtrack, it was already available on Google Music because someone had uploaded it a few hours earlier). In addition you can upload approximately 50,000 songs of your own library to Google Music which can be up to 300mb (i.e. 15 terabytes).

Also because Apple is woefully in-adept at cloud services you are also limited to skipping songs. WTF? Skip 6 tracks per station and then you have a time out period for 60 minutes.

However see how you go, might suit your needs better than others.
  • edited July 2015
    So far it's not bad. Navigation needs some work, menus also need some work, and it takes a bit of learning to get on track. But once you are it works pretty well. Kinda a nice bonus feature is since you are basically borrowing the music it is accessible through other apps the same way MP3s would be normally. So you can actually use the music to set ringtones and alarms and whatnot.

The biggest struggle is how to get my playlists in there without going song by song. But there might not be a good way to do this since they're both relatively closed environments.

EDIT: Actually its really easy to get the playlist off of Spotify with their web API, but not sure how to get it into Apple Music.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I just noticed that Spotify has a KPop section under browse! I hope this means we'll start seeing a lot more foreign music in there!
  • zehaeva said:

I just noticed that Spotify has a KPop section under browse! I hope this means we'll start seeing a lot more foreign music in there!

There's already a ton of foreign music on Spotify, you just haven't looked for it before.
  • edited September 2015
    I forgot I posted about Apple Music.

My update is that I more or less just stopped using it. It's going to run out at the end of the month. I was finding the best feature to be that it will auto upload your personal music to iCloud which can be beneficial and an impediment. The benefit comes from of course being able to access your music anywhere, but also there didn't seem to be an easy way to actually just save your shit back to your phone or device so if you didn't have service your SOL. There might be a way but it required me probably looking it up which seemed like a serious flaw in the UI design. Also I believe you can just pay for that service by itself or there are other services that are probably cheaper if you want to manage your music that way. Their catalog at first seemed better but as I probed more they had some stuff Spotify didnt, but were also missing some obvious stuff (obvious to my musical tastes at least).
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

zehaeva said:

I just noticed that Spotify has a KPop section under browse! I hope this means we'll start seeing a lot more foreign music in there!

There's already a ton of foreign music on Spotify, you just haven't looked for it before.
    I discovered an entire segment of modern Polish jazz just the other day. Spotify is fucking great.