This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Covering the Windows

Comments

• He also sleeps hanging upside down...
    ...and that's why he can't be killed by conventional weapons.
  • He also sleeps hanging upside down...
    ...and that's why he can't be killed by conventional weapons.
    I thought Scott selpt in one of those Michael Jackson isolation chambers.
  • ...Scott sleeps?
  • ...Scott sleeps?
    He doesn't sleep, he waits.
  • ...Scott sleeps?
    Only when you close your eyes. He's like the opposite of those creepy angel statues in Blink.
  • ...Scott sleeps?
    It's not like he stays up all night Googling every question so that he can not answer them for people...
  • ...Scott sleeps?
    Only when you close your eyes. He's like the opposite of those creepy angel statues inBlink.
    Best new Doctor Who episode next to The Sound of the Drums. What is the opposite of being quantum locked?
  • ...Scott sleeps?
    Only when you close your eyes. He's like the opposite of those creepy angel statues inBlink.
    Best new Doctor Who episode next to The Sound of the Drums. What is the opposite of being quantum locked?
    I don't know, quantum unlocked?

I think Blink and Silence in the Library are the best ones, but I haven't seen anything since the end of last season.
  • ...Scott sleeps?

I think Blink and Silence in the Library are the best ones, but I haven't seen anything since the end of last season.
    I'm one of those people who cannot really watch something on the internet because I need it to be on the screen. Simply put, I haven't even seen all of season two and beyond yet.
  • ...Scott sleeps?

I'm one of those people who cannot really watch something on the internet because I need it to be on the screen. Simply put, I haven't even seen all of season two and beyond yet.
    You really have to. There's some great gems in there. Why not just buy it on DVD?
  • What is the opposite of being quantum locked?
    Quantum I just broke into your TARDIS and stole all your stuff.
  • I'm one of those people who cannot really watch something on the internet because I need it to be on the screen. Simply put, I haven't even seen all of season two and beyond yet.
    How is a computer screen not a screen?
  • How is a computer screen not a screen?
    It's not made from silver.
  • "...excessively expensive"
    "...ludicrously expensive"
    "...too expensive"
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same guy who spent a large amount of money on an expensive office chair not too long ago, but now you balk at the prospect of paying several hundred dollars for proper curtains? :)
    I'll enjoy seeing the next thread coming into existence when you want to put a new floor in a house.
    I'm right with you on that one.
  • How is a computer screen not a screen?
    It's not made from silver.
    TV shows don't tend to show up on screens made from silver, though.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same guy who spent a large amount of money on an expensive office chair not too long ago, but now you balk at the prospect of paying several hundred dollars for proper curtains? :)
    I sit in the chair a lot. Thus, it is worthwhile to spend a lot on it. I also lay in bed a lot, that's why I paid a lot for a mattress. Curtains really don't have that much of an affect on my life as a chair, mattress, etc. The difficulty of having to get them has cost me more than they're worth.
  • I think I might have to shell out my own money to get vertical blinds instead of horizontal blinds my apartment complex provides in my apartment. They tend to get broken when you have cats. Vertical blinds are a godsend for anyone who owns cats.

Bah, more moving expenses.
  • I sit in the chair a lot. Thus, it is worthwhile to spend a lot on it. I also lay in bed a lot, that's why I paid a lot for a mattress. Curtains really don't have that much of an affect on my life as a chair, mattress, etc. The difficulty of having to get them has cost me more than they're worth.
    What til the sun is streaming in Sunday morning and I think you'll change your tune.
  • I sit in the chair a lot. Thus, it is worthwhile to spend a lot on it. I also lay in bed a lot, that's why I paid a lot for a mattress. Curtains really don't have that much of an affect on my life as a chair, mattress, etc. The difficulty of having to get them has cost me more than they're worth.
    Don't buy them then and instead spend more on your heating bill. Short-term profit, long-term loss, like renting.
    What til the sun is streaming in Sunday morning and I think you'll change your tune.
    Easily circumvented by sleeping in a room with windows only to the north or west. Or just being the kind of person who doesn't mind sleeping with light. (it still sucks on warm summer mornings though)
  • This is the type of expense that Scott doesn't take into account when he says silly things like he could easily live on 25K a year in a more rural area. As smart as he thinks he is, there is just no substitute for actual experience gained from actually having to deal with things like this and seeing how much things usually taken for granted like window treatments actually cost.
  • This is the type of expense that Scott doesn't take into account when he says silly things like he could easily live on 25K a year in a more rural area. As smart as he thinks he is, there is just no substitute for actual experience gained from actually having to deal with things like this and seeing how much things usually taken for granted like window treatments actually cost.
    It's not a problem of me taking something for granted. It's a problem of something being complete bullshit. This is the kind of thing we're talking about when we complain about stupid old people holding society back and ruining everything for us young smart people.

There's no reason these things have to be so expensive, nor is there a reason that shopping for them has to be so difficult. Why is it less expensive and easier to shop for some of the most advanced electronic devices to ever exist, but is a huge pain in the ass to get a flat piece of cloth with holes in it? Because young engineer type people, the smart people, have a large interest in one of these things and only old grandmas have a strong interest in the other. This is why us young engineer type people should be given full control over the entire world, and everyone else should have to STFU. Slow old people get out of our way.
    There is a reason I haven't replaced the crappy old blinds in my house that were there before I moved in :-p
    It's not a problem of me taking something for granted. It's a problem of something being complete bullshit. This is the kind of thing we're talking about when we complain about stupid old people holding society back and ruining everything for us young smart people.
    The price of curtains is an example of "stupid old people" holding you back? Maybe you should reconsider your self-inclusion in the set of "young smart people". After that statement, reasonable minds could differ as to whether you are smart and, after your last birthday, reasonable minds could differ as to whether you are young.

• The price of curtains is an example of "stupid old people" holding you back? Maybe you should reconsider your self-inclusion in the set of "young smart people". After that statement, reasonable minds could differ as to whether you are smart and, after your last birthday, reasonable minds could differ as to whether you are young.
    When I say old, it has nothing to do with actual age. It has to do with an old mindset. There are many people who are advanced in age that are young, and many who have been with us a short time, yet are old. However, the mindset I am referring to is predominantly correlative with advanced age and previous generations.

When I say "old" I am referring to people who are averse to change, slow to learn, and slow or resistant to adapting to the new world. I'm talking about people who always take the path of least resistance. I'm talking about people who obstruct anything that might move the status quo in any direction, even if it is a positive one. I'm talking about people who would choose familiarity over efficiency. I'm talking about people who choose comfort over truth. That is what old is.
  • edited October 2009
    Please prove to me then how "old" as the concept you propound has anything to do with the price of curtains. How does "old" factor into the cost of materials? The cost of manufacture? Design?

I suspect that what your definition of "old" is really about is whatever Scott disagrees with or finds annoying, which in itself fits your own definition of "old". Face it - you are exhibiting crotchety old man characteristics (being slow to learn, resistant to change, choosing the comfort of an "stupid old person" conspiracy theory over simple economic truth, etc.) by your own definition.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Please prove to me then how "old" as the concept you propound has anything to do with the price of curtains. How does "old" factor into the cost of materials? The cost of manufacture? Design?
    Don't even begin to try to talk economics here. You want to talk about cost of materials, manufacture, and design? I'm trying to get a solid colored piece of cloth with a few holes in it. Cloth, which is something that has been around for thousands of years. Yet, this piece of cloth costs more money than a chip which was designed by some of the greatest and most highly paid engineers the world has ever known. It was made in an incredibly complex and modern factory using some of the most expensive materials, such as gold. Yet the cloth is still more expensive. It's ridiculous.
    I suspect that what your definition of "old" is really about is whatever Scott disagrees with or finds annoying, which in itself fits your own definition of "old". Face it - you are exhibiting crotchety old man characteristics (being slow to learn, resistant to change, choosing the comfort of an "stupid old person" conspiracy theory over simple economic truth, etc.) by your own definition.
    Old people don't buy things on the Internet. Old people are used to a far lower level of convenience. Therefore, to me what is a horrible experience of buying curtains might be an absolute pleasure to an old person. Young people, especially engineers, strive to make all things better, faster, and stronger in all ways.

Here is an example. An old person will fight and make a big fuss over an expired ten cent coupon in the checkout aisle. They will then pay by check instead of using the card swipe. If they do use the card swipe, it will take them forever. They have no regard whatsoever for the incredibly long delay they are causing the people behind them. A young person, like me, will simply walk out of a store without buying anything because the wait is too long. Me, being used to the convenience of things like Amazon, I know how good things can be. I demand better. Typically the better thing that I demand will upset the old people, because it forces them to learn or change. In the case of something like curtains, old people are the primary customers. Thus, change will come slowly, perhaps not for many many years.
  • edited October 2009
    Please prove to me then how "old" as the concept you propound has anything to do with the price of curtains. How does "old" factor into the cost of materials? The cost of manufacture? Design?
    Don't even begin to try to talk economics here. You want to talk about cost of materials, manufacture, and design? I'm trying to get a solid colored piece of cloth with a few holes in it. Cloth, which is something that has been around for thousands of years. Yet, this piece of cloth costs more money than a chip which was designed by some of the greatest and most highly paid engineers the world has ever known. It was made in an incredibly complex and modern factory using some of the most expensive materials, such as gold. Yet the cloth is still more expensive. It's ridiculous.
    Then go to JoAnne's fabric, get the cloth, cut it to size and cut holes in it. Then put up a wire or line and voila! It will look like shit but the job is done. Scott, your complaining about this is like me complaining that I can't get an iPod that moulds to my particular hand type and is my favorite shade of blue without having to pay astronomical prices.
    I think you need to watch some how-to videos to learn how to put up curtains. Stop complaining and learn about the system rather than trying to reinvent it in ignorance.
    EDIT: Also, I bought many of my curtains online, and several were not standard sized windows.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited October 2009
    There's no reason these things have to be so expensive, nor is there a reason that shopping for them has to be so difficult. Why is it less expensive and easier to shop for some of the most advanced electronic devices to ever exist, but is a huge pain in the ass to get a flat piece of cloth with holes in it?
    Because well-made things cost money? Cloth ain't cheap, good cloth especially. You were also looking at needlessly expensive curtains. Fully-equipped windows have a blind, sheers, and insulated panels, but most people only go that far when they own a home. You can easily get away with just having panels.

Nuri is knitting me a scarf; the bulk is baby alpaca fiber, and there's some merino wool in there as well. How much do you think the yarn (just the yarn) for that project cost?

EDIT: Think about leather. Leather stuff used to be easy to get back in the times when people hunted for food, because they'd have the dead animal. These days, leather goods are wicked expensive. Why? Because someone has to go well out of their way to make it, and it takes a lot of time and energy to do so.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2009
    Scott, it sounds to me like you are having a problem adapting to the economic reality that things as simple as cloth have a price. You're being just like an "old person" with a coupon because you're clinging to your fantasy that cloth must be cheap instead of admitting that you are encountering something with which you were not familiar and not adapting.

Your refusal to consider the economics of manufacture, labor, design, and so forth place you in the set of "stupid old people" by your own definition.

Once again I ask you to prove that "stupid old people" have anything to do with the price of curtains. Your own conclusory statements are not proof. Your frustration and dissatisfaction is not proof. Your conspiracy theory is not proof. Proof in this case requires a direct numericql correlation between "stupid old people" and the price you are bemoaning. If you are so certain that the cloth for curtains should cost less than a chip, then prove it. If you can't prove it, just admit it.

Further, I submit that the statement that "stupid old people" have anything to do with the price of window treatments is an extraordinary one and requires extraordinary proof, old man.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I don't know what you're moaning about Scott, there are like 17000 listings for curtains, 5000 for drapes and 21000 for blinds on amazon.